Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:42:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bushido demo game and first impressions  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Bushido demo game and first impressions
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:19:38 PM »
As a return favor for my By Fire and Sword demo Andreas ran a demo of Bushido for me, it's a game that I have seen but not really been able to make up my mind about and having also seen the catalogue of miniatures it was  very hard to know what kind of game this was.

Well, the demo game with Andreas answered a lot of questions. This post is a summary of my first impressions of the game and a bit of game mechanics and rules that I can remember.

Summary of Bushido:

Bushido takes place in a feudal Japanese setting, the factions are however a mix of real humans and fantasy elements from Japanese mythology I suppose. Some factions are made up of more or less only humans, while there are some that are more or less only monsters, and everything in between.

The game is always played on a tiny 60x60cm/2x2' area, games are always about a scenario (no mindless brain bashing) and at the core the game uses D6's to generate results from actions. It's also alternate activations which is the standard of most skirmish games nowadays. Each game also lasts 6 turns.

The number of models on the table is quite small, it's a "warband" game. Models are each worth X-amount of "rice" (points) and games are meant to be played in the area of 30-50 points. With the number of named characters I thought it would be like Malifaux where you need a "commander" or something like that, but Andreas said you can play with anything you like within your faction as long as you can pay for it in points. That means that you can field a couple of strong characters or a horde of minions. The choice is up to you and there are no faction restrictions beyond that you can't field more than 1 of each named character in your warband.

Andreas said that the game plays like the old "Confrontation" game, which I never got to play - but a couple of things stood out the most to me during the demo.

Check my blog for the full review:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/04/bushido-demo-game-and-first-impressions.html

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Re: Bushido demo game and first impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:41:14 AM »
Hi Anatoli, thanks for the review, I love all those minis! I don't know if it is just me, I would love to paint samurai but feel too intimidated by them.

I'll look into this game though,
 Damien

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
I feel the same about the Samurai, their clothes have lots of patterns and such, still it's the only faction that really appeals to me. Will see when I'll start with the game myself. At the moment I'm racing to finish a bunch of projects.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
Great review, thanks.  I've had some figures for this for a while but never seen the game played.  The first of my figures to be painted will be making an appearance on Sunday in the LPL, if I get them finished in time.

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »
Very nice table and painted miniatures!! Good to see AAR of these kind of games!! Thanks.