Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:05:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bolt Action Army List Query  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
  • Put the gun down.............Please?
Bolt Action Army List Query
« on: May 03, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »
I recently purchased Bolt Actions US Rangers box set after having a craving to build tiny wee men, then after reading various posts here and elsewhere decided that I might actually try playing BA rather than just modelling/painting ( i haven't played a wargame in years!) but, alas, cannot currently afford the rule books. Unfortunately I decided this after starting to build the models so wanted to ask a quick question: I have made one 10 man squad with Sgt with Thompson, 1 BAR gunner, 1 medic (using the nifty SPR heads) with M1 carbine and 7 riflemen with Garands, a 2-man bazooka team and so far 1 guy with a thompson, 1 captain with a thompson, 1 guy with Grease gun, 1 BAR gunner and a couple of rifle men. Can I make a second 10 man squad with Thompson, Grease Gun, 2x BAR and 6 riflemen? Do I need a rifle man to accompany my Capt and do snipers need a spotter? Do medics even exist in BA? Many thanks for any help offered.
Cholly

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Bolt Action Army List Query
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
I've not opened the book for a while. However ..

Officer - you don't have to have a couple of riflemen with him (arm them as you like) but in game-mechanic terms it helps keep him alive (same point for the Sniper/Spotter)

Your starting squads are 5 man sections but you can add to them. Generally a maximum of 10 men. One BAR per squad from memory. You can throw in a number of Thompsons. Grease guns?

Medic is separate from your Squads and helps with saves/wounds. For goodness sake don't arm him (nor run him around in Jeeps etc firing heavy weapons ...) ;)

BA is quite good fun and is our preferred rule-set for WW2. Disposable Heroes is a better game in many ways IMO but it bogs down on vehicle rules.

Happy gaming

James
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »
Many Thanks H.M. Quite looking forward to actually gaming again and it sounds like, with a few alterations, my mini's so far will fit in.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »
My pleasure. You do get Bazookas, of course. I think that they're separate 2 man teams (like the Piats for the British)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »
Its best to keep yanks armed with rifles (carbines cvount as rifles) & BAR's (1 or 2 per section, can't remember how many) as they get move & fire rule - 5 men up to 12 I think

Officers (armed as on the figure)& Medic's (armed with pistols) are sepertate units & can have upto 2 extra men

Bazooka/sniper/flamethrower teams = 2 men team

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
Cheers AirCav, should be able to wriggle my guys around to fit in with this.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
Cheers AirCav, should be able to wriggle my guys around to fit in with this.

I will take a look US book tonight give you some better details  ;)