Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:00:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Modern warfare project.  (Read 6190 times)

Offline Stephen May

• Schoolboy
Modern warfare project.
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
I've been eying up the lovely Empress figures for quite some time, so at Salute I picked up a few packs and a copy of Force on Force... Now I'm hooked!

Im planning a few 4x4 tables and a British skirmish force and some opponents to start with, but rather than Afghanistan I'm looking for some other potential locations the British may get involved in for some "what if" games.

Anyway, I've never painted camo before and here is the result!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Modern warfare project.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »
Nice camo- especially for the first go!

Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
Great MTP and the skin tones are excellent.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »
I love the whole realistic approach. So wow :-*
Keep them coming! :)

By the way, how did you achieve the great skin tone? I have a tendency to try a more realistic approach, but the good ol' fantasy player in me just turns it rather cartoonish  :-I
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:14:37 PM by Silversixx »

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 04:16:18 AM »
You hit this out of the park ! great job please post more! :D

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 01:40:13 AM »
Do you know what? I have just been taking another look at this model, and I find it hard to believe it is 28mm. When you see it blown up on you computer screen- six or seven inches high, it's easy to imagine that this was a bit statuette, a collectors piece or something. I have to stop and ponder for a momnet- this guy is about an inch tall!  :o

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:42:06 AM »
Cracking painting!! :o :o

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 06:08:23 PM »
Do you know what? I have just been taking another look at this model, and I find it hard to believe it is 28mm. When you see it blown up on you computer screen- six or seven inches high, it's easy to imagine that this was a bit statuette, a collectors piece or something. I have to stop and ponder for a momnet- this guy is about an inch tall!  :o
I'm with Rob on this one. The more I look at it, the more tiny details I see that make me think that it could be a 54mm miniature. Great job!
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »
but rather than Afghanistan I'm looking for some other potential locations the British may get involved in for some "what if" games.

Some ideas are assistance to former African colony, Sierra Leone as an example, or you could go for something in the Carribean, either fighting Drug gangs (sweeping an island such as Monseratte, if that was the one with the volcano, I remember seeing a royal navy documentary that showed lots of cannabis plots on the abandoned part of the island), evacuating British nationals. You could use the evacuating nationals anywhere though. Can't think of much else that won't kick off into a major conflict.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »
Peace keeping in Africa, small brush fire conflicts in central America or the Caribbean. Doing operations in southeast Asia. Anarchy on the UK style games. Or just make up a fictional nation and do what you want with it.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Stephen May

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
The first of my insurgents. I wanted to keep him looking fairly generic.. Not sure if I will get round to using them in my final 'vision' for my game. I may end up using them as supporters of an African warlord, paramillitary arms dealers, mercenaries.... something along those lines!

I'm unsure what gun the figure has (I assumed some kind of Russian AK style weapon, but Im not up on my modern firearms) so I painted it black. Is this right, or should it have a wooden stock and grip?

I was asked about how I painted the face on the last figure, It's a base coat of GW's new flesh colour, washed with the flesh wash and highlighted with their layer paints. I've made my own 'skin' glaze, which is a mix of some of the layers and the wash colour (Sorry, I forget the new names!). I also put a dab of red around the mouth and eyes.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
Wow, that is a stunningly gorgeous paint job.

Weapon is an RPK, bit like the Bren gun/LSW of the AK family.
Stock and furniture would be wooden, magazine either metal or that reddish brown Bakelite stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPK

Offline Stephen May

• Schoolboy
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
Ah, I thought that's what it may have been, the magazine threw me... I assumed they only had the drum mags.
I'll make the change, thanks :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
Do you know what? I have just been taking another look at this model, and I find it hard to believe it is 28mm. When you see it blown up on you computer screen- six or seven inches high, it's easy to imagine that this was a bit statuette, a collectors piece or something. I have to stop and ponder for a momnet- this guy is about an inch tall!  :o

This has been my experience of a number of figures/paint jobs recently, this thread included. The standard of work has always been high here, but recently the bar has been raised considerably!

:)

Ah, I thought that's what it may have been, the magazine threw me... I assumed they only had the drum mags.
I'll make the change, thanks :)

You might be thinking of the RPD, which had a drum mag, but although it looks similar, it is much older and not based on the AK system. The AK-based RPK can use one, but is more usually seen with various size 'banana' magazines, like the figure is carrying.

Stunning work, I must get a pot of that tartan paint!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:45:34 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 03:22:14 PM »
Brilliant paintjob! Very nice paintwork on the shirt! The stuff we are seeing recently when it comes to Moderns really is amazing quality in the paint job department! I think in a lot of ways Lead Adventure really is the go-to forum for moderns especially 28mm.

The Gun is an RPK; as far as i'm aware they don't have drum mags normally (though i'm sure its a possibility, as you can modify most weapons) and are issued with, as mentioned those 'Banana' Mags.

I'm sure you can also get them in just black, if the RPK is still being made, then those made more recently would be made out of the new plastic materials (I can't specify what the actual materials are) but they have began moving away from having a wooden stock and using metals.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:41:37 PM by Brummie »