Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Argonaut Games  (Read 2120 times)

Offline geoffb

• Librarian
    • hamandjam.co.uk
Argonaut Games
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »
I'm working on a set of mythological rules aimed squarely at Jason and the Argonat type game.
System-wise the rules are coming along nicely however what is tricky is which sides should players be on? Good V Evil, characters v monsters etc.
How to turn this into a campaign is quite a difficult idea.
I've toyed with the idea where each player has his own heroes and also runs monsters against an other player.
any thoughts?
I came, I saw, I went home again..

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
Re: Argonaut Games
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »
I doubt many people are going to want to play the baddies very often. I would think it would be better if both players played Argonauts in a cooperative (or perhaps competitive manner). This does mean that you need some sort of AI to control the monsters, but on the upside, it should make the game good for solo play as well...

my two cents

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »
I don't know, I always like playing the bad guys. Most of my armies or warbands are usually the baddies. I do like cooperative games though where you all have to achieve some goal or other; the tactical discussions about what the next move will be make for a great game.   
For a Good vs Evil style game maybe have the forces randomly generate some objective they have to achieve over the campaign rolled on Good or Evil tables.
The good guys could call upon powers of the gods rather than have too many monsters leaving that privelege to the bad guy. Obviously there are some creatures often found on the heroes side, like Pegasus. Maybe just have the good side warriors and heroes that much better than the bad guys, but the bad guys get all the big hurty monsters (Lord of the Rings strategy battle game had this in the beginning and I think it worked well). 

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:53:09 PM »
Yep me too, love playing the baddies! Flying monkeys, skellingtons, evil sorcerers... whats not to love!
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline Deathjester

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »
Try looking at Crooked Dice's new 7th Voyage gaming in the Mythological age rules. these are absolutely perfect for what you wish to do.

And they are great for playing as the evil/baddie side as well.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »
The problem with playing the bad guys in Jason and the Argonauts is that there are no re-occurring villains, except maybe the Colchians.  By its very nature, the story of Jason involves one side moving from location to location, so while the Argonaut player would get to build his Argonauts, the buy guy would need to play different monsters, baddies, each time.

One-on-one works fine for one-off games of Jason and the Argonauts, but if you want any kind of campaign system, playing bad guy is going to be tough.