Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686566
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Armoured Train WIP  (Read 16572 times)

Offline cgh

• Librarian
Armoured Train WIP
« on: May 10, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
Some pics of what I've done so far.  This all started when I came across Siberia Miniatures 1919 Polish and i had to do the period.  So then I was going to Edinburgh's GW for some stuff and round the corner is a really tatty Poundstretcher.  Deep in the basement, right at the back were toy train sets reduced to £5.99 - so I bought one.  A week later I bought another (for the tracks) so now I've discovered the joy of Plasticard. 

Machine gun/command car

Open armoured truck

Same truck with armoured roof

Same truck with turret gun made from a pencil sharpner and a GW flight stand

Now I've started on the train itself

If any of you notice a strong similarity to Bogglers train from this topic

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=27590.0

it's purely coincidental and nothing to do with the fact that I obsessed over this train and have printouts of it next to me when I'm modelling mine at all.   :-* Or that is was this one that inspired me to do it in the first place.

This forum is dangerous...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Armoured Train WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
Looks to be a promising build, clean lines on the plasticard etc  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »
Looking at my Perry Miniatures WOTR figures, it seems to me that the plasticard bases that come with these sets might make useful boiler plate for such a railway project, potentially as armour plate cladding? - seems to be in 20x20mm and multiples of 20mm sizes... might be worth checking out?
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
Just out of curiosity how much track do you get with it? And do you have any photos of the track? Could use some for a WW2 scenario I'm planning

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:26:23 PM »
6 curved and 2 straights.  I reckon each segment is just over a foot in length but that's from memory.  I shall post more pics next week as I'm only working on it at lunchtimes at work.  I have since painted them Tamiya Russian Army Green and they are looking nice  :)

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:56:38 PM »
Was it the store on South Bridge or Lothian Road? Might be worth a wander up there tomorrow

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 07:34:59 AM »
South Bridge.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 06:35:07 AM »
Great start! That engines going to take a bit of work!!  :o

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
I know that set. It's a wild west engine. I hadn't thought of cutting it up like that to make a more modern engine.Good idea

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 02:58:59 PM »
You've hit upon a good foundation there for an armoured train. The Old West locos had a low boiler and high cab. I see you've cut off the domes - pity. If you look at the Russian U series 4-6-0 locos, many were simply clad with boiler plate panels with inspection ports to get at the workings, so you could still see all the top gubbins. I presume you are going for the 'monitor' look with angular plates on top, boxed in workings etc. like this image
Many retained the running gear and wheels exposed as well, but with an armoured skirt you can gloss over the different number of driving wheels. Don't forget to have inspection ports for the axles and cylinders...
http://www.madaxeman.com/images/Russian/Train_2.JPG
Looking forward to seeing how this project progresses

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »
Correct MB.  I shall post another pic of the second loco later when I open it's box.  I'm planning on converting that one into a tank engine with no coal wagon if possible as I have plans for it ...

SB - correct ish.  I am liking the monitor look an awful lot but am not sure if I should box the roof in.  I like the curve.

Cardboard underskirt and first piece of plasticard.  The card is one bit.  I partially slit through it enough to let if fold neatly and used this as a former as I've no bits of wood lying about.  It seemed the easiest thing to do.

Armour plate on.  The funnel, light and armoured dome (lego bits and plasticard) are not attached but I wanted to see how it looked.  Also unsure about the funnel.  Too wild west?  Should the funnel come off?

I am planning inspection ports too but need to think about the cab armour. I removed the battery compartment without realising that it had the rear coupling attached to it and it's impossible to get back in now I've started.  Appropriate hole in plasticard methinks.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
I think the funnel looks a little weird. Lose the nut and the funnel has to be skinnier.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

former user

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 04:01:18 AM »
the funnel is of a "western style"  (upper part missing) that were used to catch the sparks when burning wood for fuel. They were not common in RCW, though technically not wrong, since wood fuel was occasionally necessary and used.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »
I agree with von lucky and former user, the funnel looks a little strange. The armoured train I pictured has a slightly inverted taper which seems to be common for most oil and coal burning continental locomotives

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 07:05:54 PM »
Yep it doesn't work as a funnel.  I'm tempted to just use a nut as an armoured funnel, I'm sure I've seen something similar in photos of armoured trains. I don't know where I could find something with that inverted taper.  Open to suggestions.

No work on the train today as I didn't really have the time.