Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:41:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Confused by movement and cover  (Read 1234 times)

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
Confused by movement and cover
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »
Some figures can move through difficult terrain some cant. How are the ones that can, affected by type 1 2 or 3 terrain.  I see a minus modifier but no effect on either movement speed or maximum visible range.

In section 10 it says in dark streets shooting ranges are reduced but I don't see that in the rules anywhere

Andy

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Confused by movement and cover
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
Some figures can move through difficult terrain some cant. How are the ones that can, affected by type 1 2 or 3 terrain.  I see a minus modifier but no effect on either movement speed or maximum visible range.

4.1.1 Difficult Terrain - It could be a little clearer (I missed it as well) but the pertinent line is:

"In this game, Difficult Terrain is rated as Type 1, 2 or 3 - the number corresponds to the level of penalty associated with it."

And the first paragraph tells you it affects movement and shooting. It also mentions visibility but I'm pretty sure that is in reference to the modifier rather than LOS. For example if playing with the Fog rule then a wood (type 2) would become type 3 for modifiers.

So to be precise, passing through a wood (type 2) would give -2 to hit when shooting and would knock two inches of movement off your maximum distance.

In section 10 it says in dark streets shooting ranges are reduced but I don't see that in the rules anywhere

City Streets by Night?

Turn to the page before and pick which level of darkness you want. i.e. Twilight or The Cloak of Night, both of which specify visibility distances.

I'm sure Craig will stop by and add his comments for an official answer :)
(and then I can hit him with my similar question that I can't answer)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:10:26 AM by Dewbakuk »
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline cptkremmen

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:30:35 AM »
Thanks that is great.

I kind of wondered if the cover level also implied that reduction in movement, but could not see anywhere it said so.

Missed the twilight fog thing all together.

Ta

Andy

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »
No problem, it's nice to be able to help :)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
Some figures can move through difficult terrain some cant. How are the ones that can, affected by type 1 2 or 3 terrain.  I see a minus modifier but no effect on either movement speed or maximum visible range.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think that if you re-read section 4.1.1 Difficult Terrain, especially the third paragraph you will the answers you seek my padewan-learner.

One of the inherent problems of achieving a strict word count, in this case 22,500 words, is that you need to write concisely and with some precision. I expect that this may throw up a few more of these questions.

Cheers,
Craig.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/