Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689682
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Saturday Night SwordAndSorceryRPG Fun (21Feb SGK#53-Battle of Hellgate Pass)  (Read 74699 times)

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
My husband, Teshub, and I have spent the last 2 weeks building a table top and terrain pieces to play Fantasy Warriors on. We still have to mod and paint some minis to be able to field our armies for that game, so our monthly Saturday RPG group got to break in the new pieces this weekend.

Holy Cow what a night! First, we had to defend the last of the human survivors as that cavalry tried to escape the annihilation of the swamp outpost of Skara:

Then we had to politic with the King and the Jarls who hold power in the south, and try to convince them to stay and fight. A goblin attack on the boats in concert with a Nil-ith Horn assassination attempt on the King helped sway some support towards our Jarl, Kvig.

During the attack the King was grievously wounded, and left half-senseless. Kvig urged King Magnus to name a champion. In his injured state, the King whispered urgently to the lovely Wynston, then fell unconscious.

Wynston then told the assembled Jarls that the King had named Kvig Champion and Marshall, and to send the King by boat with 50 men back to his Keep.

Now we have hundreds of men at our backs, and hundreds more orcs in the front. The Challenge for next adventure: how to use them!

More details and pics up on the blog:
http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/game-nights/sagas-of-the-gautrian-kings-39/

Jevenkah

edit-new website
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:32:01 PM by Jevenkah »

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Saturday Night Fantasy RPG Fun (Table, terrain, and playspace)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
Im-pre-ssive!!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
FANTASTIC! You've attained the finest parts of Table Top & RPG with your games...I was going to say I was deeply envious, but nostalgic seem closer to the mark. WONDERFUL STUFF...may your Games go on forever!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:31:49 AM »
That first shot on your blog was like looking at the opening of a film. The way you stage the figures and photograph them gives a sense of realism that I don't see very often. :-* :-*

It looks like you guys had a wonderful night :D

I envy you your wooden floors :-* :-*

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 03:56:32 AM »
Looks like a great time was had by all!
I like your trees and the tents.
 :-*

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:12:29 PM »
Im-pre-ssive!!
Thanks Suber! We have such a blast on our game nights, it's no wonder there is so much glee on the guys' faces. Admittedly, I'm pretty gleeful as well.  :D

FANTASTIC! You've attained the finest parts of Table Top & RPG with your games...I was going to say I was deeply envious, but nostalgic seem closer to the mark. WONDERFUL STUFF...may your Games go on forever!

Thanks DeafNala, we plan to keep them going and going! These players always bring it to the table when we get together. They've been inspiration as well; they get like kids the day after Xmas playing with everything.

Looks like a great time was had by all!
I like your trees and the tents.
 :-*

Thanks Aggro! A tree man after my own heart ;) The tents are fun to make too.

That first shot on your blog was like looking at the opening of a film. The way you stage the figures and photograph them gives a sense of realism that I don't see very often. :-* :-*

It looks like you guys had a wonderful night :D

I envy you your wooden floors :-* :-*

Thanks Anne! One little trick I like to use when photographing is to first put myself in a character's position, maybe even kneeling down next to the board to get eye level with the action. I think it might be a way of role-playing with the minis themselves, if that makes any sense.

And the floors are laminate. I've mentioned the kids before, right?  lol It's not just the kids, though. One can drop an exacto knife point down and the tip will blunt, but the floor is fine.

I would love real wood, someday...if only we could carve it out of balsa...

Glad you all liked the fun,
Jevenkah

Tools of the trade

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:42:25 PM by Jevenkah »

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
WOW! I just checked out you web page and I am very impressed! Not only do you have a great place to game, but you have a great bunch of friends to game with. I'm very impressed with your cartography skills too! I'm hoping that the folks I game with can come up with something as consistent as you folks have. By the way, I'm envious of the fact that you and your spouse build terrain together! Keep up the most excellent work!

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 01:39:33 AM »
WOW! I just checked out you web page and I am very impressed! Not only do you have a great place to game, but you have a great bunch of friends to game with. I'm very impressed with your cartography skills too! I'm hoping that the folks I game with can come up with something as consistent as you folks have. By the way, I'm envious of the fact that you and your spouse build terrain together! Keep up the most excellent work!
Thanks for the many compliments. For me the most enjoyable aspect of the hobby is my wife, she's a fantastic player, painter, modeller and photographer! What more could I ask for?  :-*
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
I was just about to say you must have done something right in your last life to be so much rewarded in this one...  :D

I'm happy for you guys, looking at your pics and the fun you have together gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. And that's not because I'm stoned (which I am not).
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »
Coolio!  :)

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 03:29:05 AM »

Thank you very much! The mapping program we use is an old version of Campaign Cartographer Pro by ProFantasy (new version: http://www.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp ) I'm glad you checked out and enjoyed the blog! We're hoping it will be a great tool for new players to learn the lore when they're not at our house getting their pre-gaming lectures. :)

We have an awesome core group of players, and we've all been grateful to play for so long together: my husband's cousin has been involved in this game for 20 years, and our other friend in the pix started with us more than 10 years ago. I wish you luck in finding as much fun with your folks!

The fantastic gaming space is a direct product of building terrain together. Can you imagine one spouse trying to convince the other to spend all this space in such a manner if they both didn't game/build/paint? lol It's a great hobby that allows us lots of time together, and produces things other people take joy from too. "Gleeful" is a word I'd use to describe the guys when they come in on Saturday night.

I was just about to say you must have done something right in your last life to be so much rewarded in this one...  :D

I'm happy for you guys, looking at your pics and the fun you have together gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. And that's not because I'm stoned (which I am not).

My warm fuzzy feeling came from swallowing too much almond butter at once  o_o Thank you for your happy vibes. I feel very fortunate to have found both a hobby and a man that bring me so much joy. I feel fortunate too that we found this forum and discovered we're not alone...

I'll be sure to keep you all posted,
Jevenkah

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:43:24 PM by Jevenkah »

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 10:04:31 PM »
Thanks for posting again with more of your lovely stories, terrain and miniatures. I went straight back to your blog and read the whole lot again. I never tire of the inspiration it invokes. Please do keep it up as it is a joy to read and view.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 12:12:33 AM »
Thanks for posting again with more of your lovely stories, terrain and miniatures. I went straight back to your blog and read the whole lot again. I never tire of the inspiration it invokes. Please do keep it up as it is a joy to read and view.

I'm glad the blog is such an inspiration for you! It's a wild world we game and craft in, I love that others who can't be here in person can glean enjoyment from it. I've found I have a fun time presenting the world in blog format. I will be expanding it consistently; there's lots more lore to post!

The other interesting thing we've found is people don't laugh at us as quite as hard once they see all of the environment up on the web.  lol

So Thank You, it's great to hear folks are interested in the stories that go with the minis too!
Jevenkah

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Saturday Night SwordAndSorceryRPG Fun (Epic Episode #40)
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 06:46:13 AM »
Holy cow all! Our monthly group met on Saturday night and fought an epic battle against the Vangen orc army and their king, Valden the Ruthless. It was so epic, that's the only word one of our players could think of to describe the sunrise he was seeing on his way home Sunday morning. So far, I've gotten the pre-battle scouting report/pictures on the website:

Valden holding council with his urogs and Ursio Erembald, the high priest of the One God who converted Valden.

The League of Nil-ith Horn lent troops to the cause to support the work of their priests:

Full battle report on the way soon, until then:
http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/game-nights/sagas-of-the-gautrian-kings-40-preview-2/
Jevenkah
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:48:33 AM by Jevenkah »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Saturday Night SwordAndSorceryRPG Fun (Epic Episode#40)
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33:19 AM »
It's always a joy seeing your battlereports and pictures of your games - thankyou for sharing it with us.