Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:28:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691103
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Beyond Armageddon- CanGames 2013  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
Beyond Armageddon- CanGames 2013
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
This past weekend (the Victoria Day, May long weekend or "Two-Four"), the annual CanGames convention was held in Ottawa. This year's theme was "Armageddon Missed!", and so I ran a post-apocalyptic game I called "Beyond Armageddon."

The game was described as such:
After the world was laid to waste and Hell was filled to the brim, the Gods of Metal hid themselves in the fortress of Thundadöm. The bleak, chaotic land they left behind is now plundered by bandits and madmen, all while the dead walk the earth. But there are those destined to go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb. They have only one goal, one ideal: to fight and destroy the forces of Evil!

Currently, I only have WIP pictures that I took last week, but I will be taking pictures of the finished game elements and hunt down all pictures/videos that people at the con took that I can find.

Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
Re: Beyond Armageddon- CanGames 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »
Some pictures of Saturday's game from:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38593597@N05/8750573792/

Set up. There were lots of zombies to scatter around. And yes, the game mat is green. I wanted to get a new one that I could have spray painted with patches of brown and moss green, but never got around to it.

Kev the Wanderer and his Rad Trooper minions, nearby some of Gruber's dwarves about to be attacked by some screamers.

Gruber (in his not so little tank) his dwarves, and the werewolf G. Vodan (in human form) fighting off some zombie apes and more of the undead horde.

The game near the end, with Thundadöm appearing out of nothing.

A closer look at Thundadöm and some of the Gods of Metal. G. Vodan had rushed up to the door of the God of Noise.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:29:56 AM by Jakar Nilson »

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:11:42 AM »
Some pictures of the finished game pieces, starting with the enemies:

The zombie apes, as well as some fantasy mages/liches/etc. that weren't used

"Floaters", inspired by certain giant monsters in the OVA "Neo Getter Robo"

"Screamers" (yes, they're Cryx models)

"Lopers", created years ago for "pulp" games, inspired by creatures in "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"

Killer ants, obviously affected by all the radiation

Different kinds of pack animals, ranging from apehounds, parrothounds, radhounds to hedgehogs

Bog monsters

The Gods of Metal themselves (l-to-r) : the Gods of Noise, Fire, Metal, and Blood

The players' characters and their posses:

The witch and her throng of zombie slaves. She can use her umbrella as a sword, a shield, a wand and a flying device.

Jenny the Survivor and her Amazons. Armed with a shotgun and a hockey stick, she can also grow some demonic wings. Her vehicle is the "Crimson Angel"

Mutant Zed's gang mutants. It's Zed (Sean Connery) from "Zardoz", but since he's a mutant, he has to hide his head under a skeletal mask.

Gruber's dwarves. Gruber is unique in that he never leaves his little tank. Unless he upgrades it to his not so little tank...

G. Vodan's werewolves. They don't need no stinking vehicles, and they can take far more punishment than other groups.

Kev the Wanderer and the Gigantour bikers (okay, radiation-bitten conscripts). Kev is a great martial artist on foot or on his bike. He also has an unnamed roadster tour bus.

The vehicles:

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:16:44 AM »
And now for terrain:

Hills:

One of two identical bunkers

A ruined Air-conditioning building (or is it an apartment roof? )

The remains of a highway overpass (curiously looking like a guitar)

Amp-ramps

A piece of machinery

A machinery building

A machinery-infested garage

Thundadöm, the resting place of the Gods of Metal. Each god has its own door. The God of Blood's door has a number of references...

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
Thundadöm, the resting place of the Gods of Metal. Each god has its own door. The God of Blood's door has a number of references...

uhm, i thought you are referring to the Big 4 in Metal  lol Surely the Bloody Entrance has the be the Slayer Door  8)

great Stuff,loving the Metal Theme  :)Any Plans for a Metal Cemetery,Jeff H,Dimebag D,Clive Burr just to Name a few  :'(

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:36 PM »
uhm, i thought you are referring to the Big 4 in Metal  lol Surely the Bloody Entrance has the be the Slayer Door  8)

great Stuff,loving the Metal Theme  :)Any Plans for a Metal Cemetery,Jeff H,Dimebag D,Clive Burr just to Name a few  :'(

I must confess that I am pretty much a "n00b" when it comes to metal. The main inspiration for the game came from finding out about the game "Brütal Legend", the convention theme, and that I had a ton of figs that could work with the theme. I know I've still got plenty to learn and to listen to.

The gods are aspects instead of people. But the Blood Entrance does refer to both Dio and Motörhead via indirect reasons. You may have heard of the manga/anime JoJo's Bizarre Adventures. One of the main antagonists is a vampire called Dio Brando. There were also supposed to be more fountains of blood, sprouting from the demon's mouth. I cut back on that, but used some really odd Chronopia shoulderpads, because "Hey, those look like tusks! just like the Motörhead beast!"

The Metal Entrance was originally going to be these huge slabs of bolted metal, but I took one look at the car frame from one of the roadster kits I cannibalized, and thought "This looks like a door!"

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 02:11:22 AM »
The people that took some video footage uploaded it:

http://youtu.be/eJhI_QaIq6I?t=3m35s