Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:20:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690640
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Knight Models Batman game, Anyone played it?  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
Knight Models Batman game, Anyone played it?
« on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:13 AM »
So, I see a lot of people talking about the models. Some upset that they are 35 mm, other wondering if they are the same scale as Heroclix (they are, see below).

Above is a Gotham Police (chubby guy with club) and a Heroclix Gotham City Detective.

I'm just wondering how good the game is and if anyone has played it?
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
Re: Knight Models Batman game, Anyone played it?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:32:35 AM »
I know if you go to the Knight Models games site, you can download the rules for free (including character cards). Contemplating trying it with clix figures before I commit to anything.

Offline Kieron

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »
I'm playing it for the first time tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:52:59 AM »
So, I see a lot of people talking about the models. Some upset that they are 35 mm, other wondering if they are the same scale as Heroclix (they are, see below)
I don't think you can say they are the same scale as Heroclix. It's rather that some Heroclix (I'm hearing the newer ones with some consistency, the older ones being more @ hit or miss) are in ca. 35mm scale like KM Batman game figs.

As to the game, have read the rules, possibly understood most of them (not sure about jumping, my head started hurting at some point over those...) but haven't played yet. Am definitely planning to tho. If they turn out to be the best since sliced bread I may actually buy some minis but sadly their scale does present a bit of problem, despite not being quite as overblown compared to some of the modern ca. 30mm (ostensibly 28mm) figs as one might think. I've yet to see a really comprehensive size comparison tho, maybe people who collect these minis don't play anything else ???
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:55:11 AM by tnjrp »

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:19:07 AM »
I don't think you can say they are the same scale as Heroclix. It's rather that some Heroclix (I'm hearing the newer ones with some consistency, the older ones being more @ hit or miss) are in ca. 35mm scale like KM Batman game figs.

As to the game, have read the rules, possibly understood most of them (not sure about jumping, my head started hurting at some point over those...) but haven't played yet. Am definitely planning to tho. If they turn out to be the best since sliced bread I may actually buy some minis but sadly their scale does present a bit of problem, despite not being quite as overblown compared to some of the modern ca. 30mm (ostensibly 28mm) figs as one might think. I've yet to see a really comprehensive size comparison tho, maybe people who collect these minis don't play anything else ???

Being a long time Heroclix player, I'm pretty laid back about scale. They are close to scale. Most of the latest Batman Rises, Batman, Streets of Gotham and No Man's Land sets give you most of the figures you could use to play the characters they have released. Only ones I can think of that might be missing are Green Arrow (in Recent DC NU52 set), Sickle (No idea who this even is) and some of the Henchmen (but who doesn't have something that will work for a generic Henchman?).

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:24:54 AM »
Reading through the rules, there are some elements similar to Uncle Mike's Strange Aeons. (Not saying it's a copy, just some things on first impressions seem similar)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
Reading through the rules, there are some elements similar to Uncle Mike's Strange Aeons. (Not saying it's a copy, just some things on first impressions seem similar)

Don't see this personally - played both systems and they were quite different.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »
Being a long time Heroclix player, I'm pretty laid back about scale
Well, more power to you I'm sure 8)

But not everybody is -- I'm not for example. I wouldn't say a "true 28mm" and a "heroic 28mm, read 32mm" figure for example as "close to scale". Which is why I'm really wavering with these minis. Apart from the scale they do seem nice enough, if rather pricey.

Sickle and Hammer I think are characters exclusive to the Arkham City computer game. Could very well be wrong tho.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:45:21 AM by tnjrp »

Offline Kieron

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 11:49:44 PM »
Finally played it. We went for a stripped down version without sewers, objective tokens and strategies for our first go, and just played the patrol scenario.

I liked it. It's got a lot in common with other card based skirmish games with some nice mechanics which mark it out from other games I've tried. The poor translation is a problem as we came across numerous rules which had different names on the cards from the rules.

The individual characters seem to have personality: the Joker pulls the strings from a distance and you have to go and get him; Gordon leads and directs his men. Overall, for me it's good enough for me to not bother trying to develop my own hack of another set of rules to achieve the same effect.

I'd recommend giving it a go, but spend some quality time with the rules before you play.

I'll do a bigger write up and review in the next few days.

Oh and on the subject if scale, I've said this before, but 'some' Heroclix sculpts fit with the range, but not all. However, those that don't fit with KM figures will fit with more regularly scaled ranged like Crossover or Reaper, so you really don't have to buy KM's gold played models if you don't want to. I'm certainly not getting many of them.

What's more, some of the characters are somewhat 'scale-less': Killer Croc, Bane, Mr Freeze, etc. and so will fit with other ranges without worry.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »

What kind of things? Just curious.

With the wealth of game systems out there, and accepting common basics such as dice, units of measurement etc, then some similarities are probably inevitable among some of the various skirmish games, but I would be interested to know the similarities as I have not yet tried SA.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
What kind of things? Just curious.

With the wealth of game systems out there, and accepting common basics such as dice, units of measurement etc, then some similarities are probably inevitable among some of the various skirmish games, but I would be interested to know the similarities as I have not yet tried SA.

I would agree at a point all elements are going to have some similar aspects. You could say the same about Strange Aeons to say Necromunda (that is he a fan of). Both have experience and skills, tier levels of types of models...character, agents and civies...Mordiehm had a warband leader, some other characters and henchmen..etc...if you look hard enough you could make anything similar to something else.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
Thanks for posting those thoughts Keiron - helps those of us thinking about the game.

BTW - anyone else played this yet to form their impressions?