Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:17:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691321
  • Total Topics: 118386
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN new errata etc  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: IHMN new errata etc
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
Good show Craig & Charles. Classy, professional and enthusiastic.

You demonstrate the three qualities it takes to really support a good product.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: IHMN new errata etc
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 08:56:37 AM »
Is it too much to expect a proof read to check stats etc. before it goes to the printer???

No Fuzzy, it is not too much to expect and we apologise.

I shall explain, no that would take to long, I shall sum up...

The actual issue came last autumn when Charles and I presented the final draft for publication (yes it does take that long to get stuff published worldwide). Shortly thereafter we were asked to provide balanced 250-ish points lists for four of the companies so that North Star could make up starter sets.

It is then we began to notice errors, as did North Star and Osprey, and we had to overhaul the entire points system.

We sat in Charles kitchen for hours and went through every company line by line and still we got it wrong. Considering that I am a professional Quality Manager and Charles is a professional Civil Servant, and that our professions depend on our attention to details.

We rushed the corrections to Osprey who put those into the rules before they actually went to press.

But more errors did creep in. Considering the sheer volume of stat's in the game I suppose that it was almost inevitable. So we immediately decided to create an Errata sheet to publish side by side with the official rules release. It was the least we could do.

We have learned our lesson and I wrote a very simple Excel sheet to do this costing automatically to prevent it happening again. Since then Kate, Dewk's wife, and another stalwart Aonghus, have both written more player-friendly Excel programs - one with macros and one without. Once we've had chance to test them we shall release these for everyone to use.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/