Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:12:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686658
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: wizkids star trek: attack wing  (Read 25045 times)

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
wizkids star trek: attack wing
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »
Not allot of info yet, but I love star trek, so I'm hopeful and interested.

http://wizkidsgames.com/startrek/star-trek-attack-wing/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: wizkids star trek: attack wing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:59:38 PM »
I expected this on the tail of Star Wars...I do think its sales will pale in comparison to the Star Wars version.

However, it's also a really nice option for people who want reasonable pre-paints for other Star Trek games. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:25:56 PM »
You can probably get the ST Tactics from WK for cheaper if you're looking just for the minis for other games. If you like SW Attack Wing, then you might like this as well.
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 03:32:45 PM »
I don't know whether the mechanics will suit Trek in the same way that it works for Star Wars XWing.

XWing is much more akin to dogfighting in space so the movement and shooting etc comes across as an acceptable abstraction. I am looking forward to seeing more of the ships and cards as they are spoiled but think Fleet Battles or Commander will probably still be better to capture the nature of Trek style battles.

That isn't to say that this won't be very good. As much as I like Star Trek though I can't help but feel 'why would I buy this when I could just play the same game with the XWing miniatures I already own?' Expensive to double up and get models for both sides again :P

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
No interest at all folks sorry.    :(
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Move along...
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
I bought most of the initial release items of Star Trek: Attack Wing over the weekend. I couldn't find the Enterprise booster, but otherwise I have everything else currently available. I've tried two games so far, but only using the ships from the starter game and the example 40pt load-outs for each ship.

The first game was two player, Klingon vs. Romulan. As we were learning it was quite slow at first. The second game used all three ships, and played much quicker with the rules experience we had gained. The ships are only ok, but I don't really care because I'm interested in the game, not the paint jobs. As a miniature hobbyist bad paint work can be fixed.

With just the starter game, it's decent but not amazing. The ships are bigger and turn slower than their X-Wing counterparts. What that means is that lining up an attack run can take two or three rounds of movement before you're in range and in arc. However, picking crew and equipment for your ship, in addition to your captains is very cool. The missions are highly thematic.

Personally I feel that if you added more ships per player (three each for a two player game, two or three each for three or four player games) it'd be a lot more fun. Trying to maneuver your ship into position to fire without getting caught in a crossfire, sensors vs. sensor echoes, target locks...I think it's all pretty cool.

If you like the faster maneuverability of the ships in X-Wing, or you're not a fan of Trek might make this game a pass. If you want a very good capitol ship combat game that has a LOT of Trek flavour, I would definitely recommend Star Trek: Attack Wing. If you want the Trek flavour with lighter emphasis on the combat, but more options, then get Fleet Captains instead. They're both good games, just with different focus.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:24:09 PM »
Silly question...do you think the game mechanics would be simple to make House Rules for other genre's of ships?  Or is it heavy on very specific Star Trek tech? 

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »
My first thought after playing the game was actually whether or not a person could mix the X-Wing and Star Trek mechanics together to create something like Battlestar Galactical, where you've got capitol ships AND fighters all zipping around. I think it could work, but it'd take some doing. The larger ships would need to be beefed up shield and hull wise at the very least I'd imagine.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:01:28 PM »
Yeah I was thinking if the system would work well enough for people to use Star Wars models of Star Destroyers etc. in a larger scale battle, alongside (perhaps play them on the same table, but separate - so fighters and capital ships don't interact). 

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
". I couldn't find the Enterprise booster,"

Personally, I think you were lucky; it's dinkiness is almost appropriate next to the D or D'deridex, but the Reliant is huge in comparison. Hated it.

I think the game could be fast, fun, and give Trekkies proper swoosh. As I'm rapidly entering my second, or third, oh heck, lost count, childhood, that's not a bad thing.

First look, I thought the 'barrel roll becomes cloak' was a bit off, but I've been informed I must go back and read the other aspects of cloaking.

Like I would EVER make a snap judgement...  lol

Doug

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
I want to fight Enterprise vs. Star Destroyer.
This is my boomstick!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 04:29:32 PM »
I found an Enterprise booster yesterday and other than it being way too small I don't really have any complaints about it. Maybe I just have low standards...I don't know. The cards you get with the ship were really what I wanted, and now I've got the entire first wave.

I'm quite looking forward to playing through some of the missions, and I like that each ship booster comes with one. In terms of thematic play, I think that's pretty great because it gives you more types of games to play than just 'kill em all' battles, which I don't find all that appealing in most games.

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »
I must say, I really did prefer attack wing, not just because I think star trek IS better than star wars (which it obviously is) but the rules themselves just seem to "work" better, can't really explain it to be honest, they just seem tighter, or make more sense.

And yeah ok I do think the enterprise should be a little bigger, or cheaper in price to be fair, but hey ho, I'd love to see a constitution refit, matching scale with the Miranda class.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »
I must say, I really did prefer attack wing, not just because I think star trek IS better than star wars (which it obviously is) but the rules themselves just seem to "work" better, can't really explain it to be honest, they just seem tighter, or make more sense.

I actually like both, and apologies to Star Ranger, would never put them in the mash. Different to the point that points made in comparison make to no points with me.

Quote from: King Tiger
And yeah ok I do think the enterprise should be a little bigger, or cheaper in price to be fair, but hey ho, I'd love to see a constitution refit, matching scale with the Miranda class.

It's not the cost, and the stats are probably fine; it's seeing it on the peg RIGHT NEXT TO THE RELIANT. *seeth*

However, RE: Refit: true, they owe us that much, at least...

Doug
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:26:50 PM by Westfalia Chris »