Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:56:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Can someone machine a few metal or acrylic doohickeys for me? (no moving parts)  (Read 3384 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I've mentioned here and there that I play an old clix game, Mage Knight. Anyway, the older dials won't turn unless you grasp the figure directly. This is bad enough when you're using the cheap stock figures (you can still snap them off the base), but it's intolerable for figures where I've swapped the stock figure with a nice painted one. None of my figures will survive if I'm constantly grabbing them hard to turn the dial.

A long while back a fellow addressed this problem by making a little lever to turn the dial with, but he's been gone for years. However his device was very simple, so I was wondering if I could commission someone here to make me a few?

First, here's what the old dials look like:

What I need is a small, squared rod (perhaps about 6-8 cm long and about 3 mm on a side), with a bit under one end that fits into the stats slot. You press the bit into the stats slot, then use the level to turn the dial as you grip the edge. Here's a very rough illustration of what's needed:

I'm looking for the item in metal (with just a very small touch of bevelling on the edges, so as to prevent sharp edges from wearing on the dial) or possibly in acrylic, though I'm not sure how the rods would hold up after long use.

Is this something someone here can make? If so, how much would it cost?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
Could you not make something useable out of a pair of matchsticks? Cut down one so that it fits into the slot (it doesn't need to be an exact fit, just as long as it's the right size to slip in and grip) and stick that to the other matchstick to use as a lever? Not pretty, but functional and easily replaceable if it breaks?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
Unless it's a very strong wood, there's enough resistance in most dials that I expect such a tool would break pretty frequently.

One alternate possibility I've considered is to just mash some green stuff in the stats slot to make a key-end, then use a large nail or something like that as the handle (with more greenstuff around it). But something purpose-made would be nice.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:45:00 PM by FramFramson »

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
I could get you a price, but it won't be cheap.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
Yeah, I don't expect anyone to do this for free. But cost is still a relevant factor.

How much d'you think something like that might run, Bergil?

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
I'd have to ask on tuesday (bank holiday here) But I reckon you're looking at upto £100 there... Could be wrong, and I'd be happy to check next week.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
I'd have to ask on tuesday (bank holiday here) But I reckon you're looking at upto £100 there... Could be wrong, and I'd be happy to check next week.

Oh yeah, that's far too much. I was thinking maybe up to $30 or even $40, I'd be okay with it.

It's such a simple shape (two rectangles and a small curved bit), I wonder if there's a cheaper way of making it. I know the original maker of these used a high-grade durable acrylic.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
As long as it's the original 'L' shaped dials (rather than the annoying newer triangular holes) you could get away with just an L shaped piece, the 'arm' of which that fits into the slot (in the long straight part rather than the whole L), and it's simple enough that you could handcut it out of a 3mm piece of acrylic, and it would be stronger being just a single piece - the main problem would be not snapping the acrylic when you're cutting it...

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
You do know at one time, Wizzkids created a special ring to turn the dials?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
Since you already seem to have a 3D model, why not have it printed out via Shapeways (or any other 3D printing service)? The material should be sturdy enough for what you have in mind.
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
You do know at one time, Wizzkids created a special ring to turn the dials?

Yes and the flight stands that came later also work for the same dials. Unfortunately, both of those only work with NEWER dials, where the outer edge is incorporated into the top of the base and the stats dial is just a disc. The oldest ones (the ones I need the lever for) had the outer edge incorporated into the bottom of the base, with the stats dial. The top of the base just sits in that and has no point you can grab it on, except the stats window or the figure itself.

The image I posted above is the old style. The new style is like this:

Since you already seem to have a 3D model, why not have it printed out via Shapeways (or any other 3D printing service)? The material should be sturdy enough for what you have in mind.

That's just me making a mockup in MSPaint/Photoshop and isn't to scale.

Offline Kes

• Bookworm
Can you simplify the design? Do you really need the extra curved part? If not, it'd be much easier to carve out of plastic (maybe even sprue?).

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
Since it appears to be a simple indexing mechanism to key in to the minis base and turn the dial all you need are the pins to index. If it were my problem I would simply cut a circle of styrene (plastic) 1/2" thick or there abouts, draw out the center of the location corresponding to the pins, or if you have a way to trace from a minis dial do that. Then drill out holes the same size. insert brass rod through holes just long enough to match originals tools pins, glue, then snip or cut off leftover brass rod, your done, it works, I've done similar things like it before. In fact the plastic and brass are much stronger and you dont need as many "pins" simplifying construction. o_o

Regards,

Bill W

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
This thread is fecking weird. Decoder rings to set stats of miniatures...? ??? ;)

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
ok I reread the thread Fram and relized you need the lever, for the old ones. I actually might have a few of the magenight toys/mins here that I was going to use for conversion work, I'll look. But if not if you send me a base I'll make you a brass one, maybe a few they do not look difficult at all. PM me if you are interested and I'll send you my address Im in LA, california but a base would fit in a letter and be cheap, postage wise.  ;)

Bill