Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:16:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Winter Survivors (Rob_bresnen) vs. Bloody Guts (Alone_withmyaxe)

Winter Survivors (Rob_bresnen)
333 (76.6%)
Bloody Guts (Alone_withmyaxe)
102 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 428

Voting closed: June 01, 2013, 10:48:51 PM

Author Topic: Round 7 - Winter Survivors vs. Bloody Guts  (Read 6517 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Round 7 - Winter Survivors vs. Bloody Guts
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
Re: Round 7 - Winter Survivors vs. Bloody Guts
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »
Alone with my axe - Please forgive me if I'm missing something here, but I don't think you've stuck to the rules with your entry.  From what I can see in your picture there is a large and nicely painted Minotaur and 4 victims of Imperial descent.  Much as I appreciate the visceral image, the glossiness of the blood and entrails, the basing, etc..... the rules quite clearly state:

To recap - at least five figures following a single, distinct theme.
The team must represent a homogenous group - not antagonists from the same period. It's supposed to be a team.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 02:00:50 AM »
I was wondering that myself. The minotaur is magnificent, but four dismembered corpses don't really seem like "teammates"...

Offline Figouze

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 05:57:06 AM »
I like both.

The snow on the survivors and the teeth on the minotaur :)

Thank you !  :D

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:21:40 AM »
Alone with my axe - Please forgive me if I'm missing something here, but I don't think you've stuck to the rules with your entry.  From what I can see in your picture there is a large and nicely painted Minotaur and 4 victims of Imperial descent.  Much as I appreciate the visceral image, the glossiness of the blood and entrails, the basing, etc..... the rules quite clearly state:

How do you know they weren't a team? They could of just been a disfunctional team with one team member not being so much of a team player, maybe having a bad day and being a tad bit hungry/angry.

Who cares at the end of the day isn't this comp just for fun?????

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »

In my head at least the piles of goo always live in my Minotaur unit, they were built for when space was needed between oversized miniatures to aid ranking up, looking at it in light of the comments I can see yours and others point of view. I guess it might be a push to the concept of team, and I would agree that if the picture was  taken a little earlier as the scene unfolded it would not be within the rules of the LPL.

The concept at this point is that the dismembered corpses are lunch for the minotaur, making them a 'Team' for a short period at least!

I hope that makes it a bit clearer!

Either way I hope you like the paint job, despite the  controversy!

;)
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
It's a fair point. One big beastie and four semi digested victims do rather fall foul of the 'not antagonists' rule!  ::)

I'm sure it was just an oversight, and I can see why Alone would think of these pieces together as a group. Unfortunately, that doesn't make them a 'team' in LPL terms.

It's a good reminder for all contestants to double check that their entries meet the basic criteria of at least five figures or pieces from the same side!  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
The concept at this point is that the dismembered corpses are lunch for the minotaur, making them a 'Team' for a short period at least!

:o

Good point!  :D

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 11:54:13 PM »
@ Alone - I do think that they are nicely painted and I wasn't trying to cause controversy.  Just seeking a bit of clarity as I couldn't see how this complied with the "team" ruling.

@ Hubbynz - it is for fun.  I certainly don't expect to be in the top rankings and I'm only painting figures that I already have.  Some people have bought figures specifically to paint for this competition, especially the bonus rounds.  We all deserve to be treated the same and to have voting that is fair.  If you don't have to abide by the rules, why bother having any?

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 01:41:21 AM »
Well I'm sure it is up to the organisers to see team if it meets the entry requirements and not allow it to enter in the first place if it does not. If he uses the coprses in the same regiment/movement tray as the giant bull thingy as a space filler then it passes at a team for me even if it is slightly marginal.

Good thing I didn't have time to submit my "square bases" themed entry for the round then ;-)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 02:16:59 AM »
Speaking of squares, I'd thought I'd pass along an FYI / apology. I was corrected for my "zoom" close ups I've been posting with my photos. Apparently, my circles were not within the rules. I've corrected them in this round and will now use plain old rectangles from now on. My apologies to my opponents from previous rounds. I claim an all-too-common defense for me: ignorance!  lol

Mike Demana

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
Chaps - it's okay. It is for fun and we try not to be too stringent about it. But yes, you do have to have some parameters to provide a more or less level playing field. Otherwise it would be a complete free-for-all which would make it hard to compare apples with apples. It's not just down to the organiser - it's up to competitors to read the rules and make sure their entries are legal! Like I say, it's a good reminder for everybody. No big deal.
 :)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »
Can I echo what Captain Blood has said.

If there is any failing in following the rules, consider it mine.  Ultimately it is my responsibility to monitor all the entries and check that they comply with the rules.  We all make mistakes, not necessarily with any intent  Don't penalise any competitor for my mistake. 

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
To be honest, I never even considered it was not a team or I would have checked. It wasn't until I read the comments that it even occurred to me that it might not be seen as a team!

I think Captain Blood is correct and this is for fun, and hopefully it is a little lesson for everyone, especially me! So I hope that people mainly enjoyed the paintjob, which I really enjoyed doing.

I do need to mention, as I have yet to, my opponents minis. They are really good looking, I love the clothing, it all looks amazing especially the blond guy in the middle with the flapping red jacket. Really good stuff really tidy and a great job.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »
Thank you. I liked yours too. I was hoping I would get an easy round, but when I saw yours I thought 'Oh sh#t! Another hard round." I am not really a stickler for the rules, and I think it's more important if one has managed to churn out a new, well painted, entry each round.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/