Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686510
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Australian ww2 uniforms  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
Australian ww2 uniforms
« on: May 28, 2013, 03:55:10 AM »
I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured this was a suitable place. I am currently painting the new perry 8th army figures but I want to paint them as Australians in Tobruk or El Alamein and all I have is the old osprey but it's abit broad, I also haven't painted anything in this period in a long while. Was their uniform any different to the British at the time? And is there anything besides slouch hats to make them stand out from their cousins?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Australian ww2 uniforms
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:37:28 AM »
In terms of hot weather clothing (as the Perry figures are depicted), their appearance would be identical. When not in battle the slouch hat was worn by all, usually with the flap unbuttoned.

Here's a good comparison photo from 1942, showing British and Australians together.

Oddly the British are wearing the 1937 pattern twin cartridge pouches... not often seen, as they were only issued to rear-echelon troops, MT drivers etc.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:48:45 AM by Arlequín »

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »
Thanks for the pic and the info Arlequin, it means I am painting them the right way! And when the Perry's release slouch hats I can add a few to give them more flavor. I'll post some in progress shots when I get the chance. Thanks again  :D

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »
Don't Woodbine have slouch hats? The hat didn't change from WW1 to WW2.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline BattlewagonBruce

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
I sell slouch hats in white metal. I have two versions - standard and a bit battered. They are £1.40 for 5.

PM if interested.

Bruce

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
Re: Australian ww2 uniforms (painted miniatures added 6/11)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:00:42 AM »
I finished the first section, but I apologise for the picture quality as my phone is all I have at hand currently.

and a group shot!

Enjoy! comments/criticism much appreciated as I haven't painted a ww2 figure for quite some time.

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:50:57 AM »
they r very nice, im looking forward to the packs and slouch hats coming out
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

former user

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 05:13:01 AM »
I sell slouch hats in white metal. I have two versions - standard and a bit battered. They are £1.40 for 5.
Bruce

Do You have any pictures and size comparisons of that? I'd be interested.

Maxmini does Anzac heads, these are good, but GW-sized so too large for Perry Miniatures

Victoria Miniatures have them too, since they are made to fit "with popular SF range" they should be largish as well

and I expect Woodbine to be somewhat smaller, but still too large for Perry's

so experience reports would be interesting to read, THX
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:28:08 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:28:27 AM »
slightly off topic sorry but do u think Perry s Brits would be ok up against Bolt actions Japanese, size wise  or is there a massive difference?

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
I was wondering this myself as the perry figures with slouch hats and backpacks would be perfect for early pacific (aslong as it's summer!). I haven't seen the japanese in the flesh but I'm guessing they are going to be alot chunkier and probably bigger. Wargames foundry ww2 are even alot thicker than the Perry stuff and they are quite old models.... Hopefully Wargames Factory do some plastic japanese in the future?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »
Even in the SW Pacific tin hats were worn in action. Whilst the slouch adds a romantic touch and is the conventional wargamers' shorthand for 'Australian', if you are playing New Guinea or Timor or Rabaul then they are the only folk in theatre apart from  the Yanks. If you want a way of marking them out from Brits in Malaya then simply paint their boots brown. The Australian Army didn't switch over to black boots until after the war.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
If you want a way of marking them out from Brits in Malaya then simply paint their boots brown. The Australian Army didn't switch over to black boots until after the war.

Damn, I shouldn't of painted mine black then! I didn't know you knew anything useful john!  lol

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:11:35 AM »
When not in battle the slouch hat was worn.

And that is largely the point. This is a publicity or propaganda shot.

As Carlos has pointed out, slouch hats weren't popular if there was a chance of being shelled. Tin hats most of the way, although the commando beret had a good run as it sat close to the head (i.e. it didn't stick up for anyone to shoot at).

You need to be very careful when looking at most of these photographs as they tend to be rear echelon or "staged"  troops.  I understand the short-hand recognition theory but it often comes accompanied by the train-spotting anorak-wearing rivet-counter. You can't win either way, I suppose.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »
I have always wondered why 'British' figures always seem to be represented in their 'battle bowlers', while the rest of the Commonwealth seemingly scorns their practicality.

:?

Whatever the army, allied or otherwise, the rarity of not wearing 'tin hats' in battle, is usually confined to almost unique cases. Governments don't tend to buy protective equipment by the ton, only for their troops to express their diversity by wearing non-shrapnel proof headgear, however fetching.

Uncomfortable in the heat certainly, but not as uncomfortable as having shell fragments removed from your head, if you're that lucky. Even when out of immediate danger, the helmet was either carried strapped to packs, or otherwise readily to hand (as in the photo).

Preference didn't come into it either... being wounded through not wearing your helmet, was normally in the same league as shooting yourself in the foot, as regards military regulations, with similar consequences.

:)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:50:29 PM by Arlequín »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »
Depends, the CMF in Papua were about 50-50 in their use from the photos I have seen. I dare say a tin hat was less preferable to some due to the weight and it would of been quite uncomfortable in the heat. The AIF were a different story. 

Have another look. Pretty much all the photos of 16 Brigade (33rd Bnr, 39th Bn etc) showing slouch hates were taken outside of the FEBA. The Damien Parer shots, the photos of troops ascending the Golden Stairs, the famous photo of the 39th on parade at Menari, all away from the forward edge of the battle area.

The Australian Army isn't much different to the British when it comes to tin hats and protective dress.  As they say in the classics : 'Fix bayonets is an order not a subtle hint'.