Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lords of Waterdeep (boardgame) review  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lords of Waterdeep (boardgame) review
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:32:26 AM »
So I got to play Lords of Waterdeep with my regular boardgame group yesterday where we managed to play 2 games. Lords of Waterdeep is a resource handling worker placement game - with a Forgotten Realms theme that doesn't impact the game play. In fact the fantasy theme is just there to give the game a setting and some cool fantasy artwork more than provide any fantasy specific rules or twists. This theme does so little impact on the game that it doesn't even have any special rules or differences between the factions - which while taken from the Forgotten Realms and probably known to gamers and readers of that universe - don't do much else than provide an alternative name for the different colors that players use for their gaming pieces.

Now this may sound quite awful but the game itself is really good. Players each take up the role of a "Lord of Waterdeep", who are competing for power and glory. You get power and glory by completing quests, quests are not completed by the lords themselves but rather by adventure groups put together by the lords personal agents. This is where the resource handling comes in, as each quests has a list of required resources that needs to be gathered before it can be completed (adventurer types and money) the role of each Lord is to send out his agents to fine comb the streets and locations of the city of Waterdeep and gather warriors, wizards, clerics, rouges and gold necessary to form expeditions for the quests.

Check the full review over at my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/05/lords-of-waterdeep-review.html

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Lords of Waterdeep (boardgame) review
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
Thanks for that Anatoli. I might just actually pick this game up.

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
I've played a few games of this and thoroughly enjoyed them. Well worth getting imho

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:03 PM »
Nice batrep on your blog and a thorough critique of the game. A short game with some mates of an evening can often be the best way to go  :D :D

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you found the review helpful/interesting  :)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »
I've looked at the game a few times too, but never bought it. I might have to take another look.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 01:03:13 AM »
Good review. I got this game shortly after the release and have played it thoroughly.  I have have enjoyed every game I have played and it is a favorite among our board game group. As you say the theme and setting are basically just flavor, though it is consistent. I am looking forward to the first expansion which will add a player and a new area.

Tip; if someone is buying up all the buildings, shut them down. It can be really easy to win if you have the Lord who grants bonus points for every building built, especially if you can combo them off. That being said, I like to buy the buildings even if I don't have that Lord as they can be very beneficial.