Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:16:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Warriors Fun (Being Thankful)  (Read 17877 times)

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
Re: Fantasy Warriors Fun (1May Gautrian Girls' Games)
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »
Sergio- You will be the first to know, outside of our gaming group! Our translator is working with pen and paper right now, but we told her we would help her type it up when finished so we could get a digital copy back to you. I'm not sure how long it will take her. Your ruleset looks pretty extensive!

We're looking forward to playing with it, and will pass along your comments to our translator.

Thanks!
Jevenkah

He Jevenkah,
O.K. For anything your translator may need, you may contact me without any problems.
We update!
Good night.
Sergio

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »
Sergio- You will be the first to know, outside of our gaming group! Our translator is working with pen and paper right now, but we told her we would help her type it up when finished so we could get a digital copy back to you. I'm not sure how long it will take her. Your ruleset looks pretty extensive!

We're looking forward to playing with it, and will pass along your comments to our translator.

Thanks!
Jevenkah
Hi Friends,
what news about your translation of our Naran's Siege book?
 :)
Sergio

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
No new news yet, I'm afraid. Our translator is still working on it. Maybe we should have held her character hostage until she was finished?  lol

Jevenkah

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
No new news yet, I'm afraid. Our translator is still working on it. Maybe we should have held her character hostage until she was finished?  lol

Jevenkah

He,
O.K., I understand.
Notify to your translator that she have all my sympathy and moral support.
we feel
 :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »

Jevenkah

What a great Fantasy scenario: chain in a dark tower, the lovely Maiden feverishly labors on the the translation of an ancient tome knowing that her rescue depends on its successful completion. Of course her parents might have had a dim view of their daughter locked away in your attic over the Summer...or maybe not.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
What a great Fantasy scenario: chain in a dark tower, the lovely Maiden feverishly labors on the the translation of an ancient tome knowing that her rescue depends on its successful completion. Of course her parents might have had a dim view of their daughter locked away in your attic over the Summer...or maybe not.

Perhaps  would you like to propose yourself as a hero to go save the chained Damsel ?
 lol

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »

lol She's the kind of girl that does a lot for everybody, so she would definitely have been missed by her folks. We did get to kidnap her for a backpacking trip over the summer (as seen here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=54058.msg829197#msg829197 ), but the gaming stuff stayed at home.

Having said that, she looooooves to read so that scenario of her locked away surrounded by books is quite apt! Although, she does play a swordmaiden in our RPG and not a scholar.

Jevenkah

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
How did I miss this thread - fantastic to see your fantasy warriors in action.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2014, 01:40:39 PM »
Gosh - I missed this as well but I'm glad I found it. As one of the original team that produced Fantasy Warriors, it's such a thrill when one discovers players still using it nearly a quarter of a century after we published it.

I love the look of your games. Plenty of space for manouver, excellent terrain and scenery and scenarios that mean the battle's result has meaning in a wider context. I also like the appearance of the round bases - the result reminds me of some of the battles in Brigadier Young and Colonel Lawford's seminal "Charge" book (still my favourite wargames book). Your scenery is much better, by the way... :).

I look forward to reading more of your exploits and long may you keep the flame of Fantasy Warriors burning.

Doug

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Fantasy Warriors Fun (Introducing more to the fold)
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2014, 02:19:59 AM »
Thank you very much, Doug! In the mid 1990s, we were so inspired by the Nick Lund orc sculpts, we based an entire orc culture on them! We plucked them out wherever we found them in our state-to-state explorations of hobby shops, and used them to run whole series of adventures in the Orc Lands.

Since coming to this forum a few years ago, our painting and modeling skills have grown, and so grew our collection. We acquired armies and needed guiding rules to play with them. When Teshub saw the game reports of Fantasy Warriors, it only made sense to try the game made for the orcs I fell in love with so many years ago!

The Rules you produced are wonderful in that we have brought them to 30+ year gamers, and we've been up and playing in minutes, and at the same time there is a level of detail of play we've enjoyed for hours.

Thanks too for your compliments on the imagery of our games. The core principles behind our terrain are playability and versatility. We recently set up a classic pass battle for our RPG night in Sagas of the Gautrian Kings #53- Battle of Hellgate Pass :

Then used a little neutral scenery to introduce a "new" player:

And had the next gen play-test some rosters with the same terrain:

I looked up "Charge" and it sounds like a good read (and quite the thing to be compared with, thanks!). That's one more book to add to my reading list...

More games and reports are forthcoming! Last year around this time we hosted an all day Fantasy Warriors Wargaming Event with seven players,

lots of political ramifications, and fresh baked bread. It was so much fun we're doing it again this year, but with more food.

You all will get reports when it happens. Game On!
Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
It seems that for a lot of gamers time spent in their pastime is grudgingly given by their "significant other"...modern jargon for "the love of one's life". An active gaming group consisting of your family & friends sets you apart; building your life around it makes you an ideal to be emulated. GREAT STUFF...couldn't happen to a NICER couple.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Fantasy Warriors Fun (Introducing more to the fold)
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »
And "Hello, Golgotha!", glad you found this thread too! As I've lauded before, Fantasy Warriors is a really fun, playable system. We've been using it with anywhere from 40 to 80 figures a side so far.

Thanks, Nala. We are lucky to have found our "thing" so early on. We're able to enjoy the almost meditative state of crafting together, and when it culminates on the game table in something our friends and family can have so much fun doing with us, it is indeed something special.

Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2014, 06:38:49 PM »
OOH, PRETTY PHOTOS!...I love the expression on your face. This is a perfect post; re, right now staring a pictures is about the height of my capabilities.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fantasy Warriors Fun (More Pass Pictures)
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2014, 12:18:49 PM »
Jevenkah

Looking forward to your report after you've played your next all-day event - it should be a visual treat.

As I type, I haae a base being laid in my garden for a "garden office" (really just a shed) which, if truth be told, I'm planning on using more as a garden wargames room. My plan, partly inspired by this thread, is to inaugurate it with a Fantasy Warriors battle involving my son, nephews and brother-in-law. In the days when we were playtesting FW, they were all involved in trial games, even though my son and nephews were very young back then. We had a campaign going for some time until they grew up, went to University, got married etc. But they often recall the old games and plaintively ask when we are going to have another. With luck, that time may not be far off.

First, I must try and find all the notes we've made over the years of rules interpretations and modifications. I foresee lively debate... :)

Thanks for your continuing inspiration.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:23:37 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Re: Fantasy Warriors Fun (More Pass Pictures)
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »
What a great thread. Lovely looking mins and terrain. Nice to see it all getting plenty of use  :D