Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The sorry tale of Max of Clifford  (Read 9098 times)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The sorry tale of Max of Clifford
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2013, 07:55:42 AM »
Perhaps a visit by the Lardmeister to the august gathering of LAFers is in order?
 :)
Now, that is a post I want to read!  :P
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »
All I can say is "WOW!"

what fantastic figures and scenery!
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 08:21:54 AM »
Thanks for commenting Rich  :)

When we played with Richard (a long time ago) we weren't completely tutored up on the rules so I think we did miss something that would've allowed Richard to do something with his unit (he's never let us forget  lol ).

After our game the other night it was suggested that we remove the tiffin card and I think it is something we'll stick to.

I have a copy of Dux but haven't had a chance to play it as of yet as we don't have that much opportunity for gaming as Salute had us playing our Mars Sharp Practise an awful lot and at the moment we are getting ready for a little gaming day. We will be using it for the campaign section certainly.

Would you be interested in our Mars mods? They go with the Red Planet figures but could be used for any nearfarious Martian types.

I'll check with Nick where the amendments came from and email you in due course  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 08:47:24 AM »

When we played with Richard (a long time ago) we weren't completely tutored up on the rules so I think we did miss something that would've allowed Richard to do something with his unit (he's never let us forget  lol ).

No we didn't miss anything. He just made a tactical error and has blamed the rules ever since lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
Lies!  lol

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
Capt Blood said,"You may say this represents historical practice - I am sceptical. I believe that in a skirmish situation (and let's remember, these are large scale skirmish rules, they're not representing Waterloo or Borodino with massed armies spread across miles of open terrain) ..."
That's the whole point I find. While I like the TFL TTM&TB rules, I find SP seems to want to face both ways at the same time, almost as if its not sure what it is. Not played DB yet, as Phil is still painting up the forces. As an aside, I think the Bolt Action dice trump the card system myself.
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 10:10:57 AM »
@ captain blood - To be fair, if your unit stood and took 8 rounds of shooting without falling back due to accumulated shock then I'm pretty sure you could count them as double hard b@#tards!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »
No we didn't miss anything. He just made a tactical error and has blamed the rules ever since lol

I heard he was known as Major Blood before said debacle.
Lucky not to be busted down to the ranks, if you ask me, old chap!
 ;)

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
Poitier, I am happy to attend anywhere to run games.  I am in Evesham next weekend doing just that and in Edinburgh later in June.  I do go to places that don't begin with "E" as well! 

Bolt Action dice are better?  Personally I find that the term "better" when defining wargmes rules generally means what the individual prefers.  To my mind the dice in Bolt Action always allow the player to activate the unit that most needs to be activated at that moment in time.  Cards, on the other hand, tend to be more frustrating in that they don't give you a choice which unit activates; the cards determine the sequence.

For me, and this is just my personal preference, I find that the former gives far too much control to the gamer.  But then some gamers prefer more control and therefore find that the cards in Sharp Practice do not allow them the degree of certainty which they feel comfortable with.  Neither is better or best, they are simply a matter of personal preference regarding the type of game that the individual gamer enjoys playing.  Wargaming Is all about enjoying ourselves, so play whatever rules give you the game you want.  I would never say that my rules are better than anyone else's!

What I will say is that Sharp Practice has just had its 30th print run, with tens of thousands of copies sold, so I do fancy doing something to celebrate that.  Any suggestions?

Rich

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »
James

Mars sounds fun!  I am keen to put together a set of B Movie Sci-Fi  rules next year called Space Pixies from Beyond Uranus.  So yes, very interested.

Cheers

Rich

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
with tens of thousands of copies sold, so I do fancy doing something to celebrate that.  Any suggestions?

Rich

Got mine in the post today  :D

How about picking games from all over the internet (with permission of course  :) ) and producing a little anniversary booklet of them all?

cheers

James

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
Well, if you are going to Edinburgh, just tootle on to Perth but I do mean Perth, Western Australia. Nice celebration!  lol

Poitier, I am happy to attend anywhere to run games.  I am in Evesham next weekend doing just that and in Edinburgh later in June.  I do go to places that don't begin with "E" as well! 

Bolt Action dice are better?  Personally I find that the term "better" when defining wargmes rules generally means what the individual prefers.  To my mind the dice in Bolt Action always allow the player to activate the unit that most needs to be activated at that moment in time.  Cards, on the other hand, tend to be more frustrating in that they don't give you a choice which unit activates; the cards determine the sequence.

For me, and this is just my personal preference, I find that the former gives far too much control to the gamer.  But then some gamers prefer more control and therefore find that the cards in Sharp Practice do not allow them the degree of certainty which they feel comfortable with.  Neither is better or best, they are simply a matter of personal preference regarding the type of game that the individual gamer enjoys playing.  Wargaming Is all about enjoying ourselves, so play whatever rules give you the game you want.  I would never say that my rules are better than anyone else's!

What I will say is that Sharp Practice has just had its 30th print run, with tens of thousands of copies sold, so I do fancy doing something to celebrate that.  Any suggestions?

Rich

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »

It's a difficult call and to be honest removing the Tiffin card does make a difference. In defence of Bolt Action though, it only gives that control to the player 'if' and 'when' his dice are drawn. While you could reasonably expect each side's dice to be drawn alternatively, this doesn't usually happen and in extreme circumstances several dice of one colour can be drawn before one of the other's appears.

Different degrees of uncertainty and control certainly... on the one hand though, you are presented with the option to 'use it or lose it' for a specific unit that turn, on the other you have perhaps a higher degree of control than might be accurate in real life.

Personally I would use less dice for Bolt Action than there are units, rather than equal numbers and for Sharp Practice some form of 'Wild Card(s)' in the pack to free up a unit in the position the Captain's stalwart heroes found themselves to be in and retain the Tiffin card, which does add a degree of uncertainty.

I agree though, neither rule system is better... just different.  :)

Anyhoo... great looking game and the main thing is that everyone seems to have enjoyed it, which is the main thing to me.  :)

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2013, 04:05:43 AM »
Wonderful looking game and excellent report  lol

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
Great looking table and figures, and just as importantly it sounds as if it was fun game to be involved in.

Looking forward to the outlaws next outing.