Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lady Constance Noring and the Dragon Men of Pentang  (Read 5599 times)

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
Lady Constance Noring and the Dragon Men of Pentang
« on: May 31, 2013, 04:04:35 PM »
Another fun game of Pulp Alley the other night - this one was inspired by seeing Almaric's Skinks and scenery.  After seeing his fine pictures I had to find mine in the unused drawers and shamelessly steal his idea.

The Background

Lady Constance Noring, staying with the Chicago Rothchilds at their villa on the Peak on Hong Kong Island, has been kidnapped by the Tong and cruelly sold to the Dragon Men of Pentang.  Here she is, sad eyed and praying for salvation.

Soon she will be sacrificed to the Great Lizard to satiate the God's unspeakable blood lust - fair skinned, blonde women being his particular favourite.

Fortunately, her father, Baronet Nigel Noring the honourable Lord of Neasden was staying at the Hong Kong Residency at the time of the crime and has franatically organised rescue parties to find and return his darling daughter. The reward - £ 20,000.

Such a sum has set the brothels and bars of Kowloon aflame and many a league has offerd their services.

As our story begins Lady Constance is to be found bound and chained atop the highest level of the Ziggurat of Skulls deep within the temperate jungle of China's Hunan Province. Fearful and sobbing she awaits her fate.

Luckily, at this precise moment two rival leagues crash through the jungle toward the ruined city of Pentang and will arrive simultaneously and race to capture the prize.

Captain Kit Stevens is at the start of his Special forces career and was on furlough in Kowloon when the summons went out. Using his contacts he quickly threw together a collection of kind hearted rascals from the dockside taverns. They christened themselves The Miscellany and set out to rescue the maiden (the cash helped bond the group but hey, an adventure is what these guys love best, so persuasion was hardly needed).

The Evil Doctor Choo Fat is however, another kettle of fish altogether. Money talks. He has a plan to rescue lady Constance and then extort more money from the grieving father. Gathering a group is easy for him. His Ninja Sidekick the Black Orchid never leaves his side and a click of his fingers soon collects together his henchmen and three of his fanatically loyal bodyguards.

The race is on - but the Dragon Men will not just sit back and let our leagues stroll in and rescue lady Constance. Oh, no....

PLOT POINTS

Lady Constance is the major plot point and the challenge is set. It will take 3 successes on Might to break her bonds and set her free.

The minor plot points are as follows:

Lady Constance's Valise - her clothes. Except for a diaphanous cotton shift she is almost naked. No way for a Lady to travel.
Soames the Butler - mad with grief Soames has tracked Lady C half way across China. Now he is just mad, barking in fact.
Jade Buddha - perched on a small granite column.  That'll fetch a few bob back in civilisation
A box full of Grog - something the celebrate with (or drown sorrows)

SCENARIO EVENTS

The Miscellany get a boost to initiative - their die roll goes p to a d8
Choo Fat's gang gain an extra Fortune Card

SOME PICS OF THE ACTION

As this was a 2 player game the Lizards were controlled by a rudimentary AI which just meant they seemed to pick on me every time   ::)

The full table view at the start of the game

Tommy "Gun" Gibbons watches Flash despatch a small lizard before he drops the larger one with a well aimed burst of red hot lead

The evil Dr. Choo Fat lays out two of Kit's companions who fail to recover  .... mmwhahahahah  >:D

Kit reaches the box of clothes and heroically resists the urge to dress up in something slinky (just)

Brawn and Brains don't mix - Chinese "Boom Boom" Gordon takes two rounds to decipher the writings on the Jade Idol.  A good job Choo fat has got his back.

Teeth make a hard job of breaking Lady C's chains while the Lizards rush to protect their sacrifice

Not fair!!! why pick on me

The end is near - the final Battle at the top of the Ziggurat of Skulls

The End - the sands of time have run their course and turn 6 see the scenario end badly for Kit and Co

The Choo Fat gang won the day by taking 3 minor plot points.  The Miscellany only took 1, the chains and lizard folk denied them the major plot point.

FANTASTIC FUN !!!

I am so looking forward to Perilous Island - take my money, please.
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Lady Constance Noring and the Dragon Men of Pentang
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
Lovely game there. I recognize many of those terrain features. I have them myself.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Chuck1372

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »
Great looking game.  Who makes the ziggurat  of skulls?

Chuck

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
Very nice report - thank you!

Offline pauld

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »
Who makes the ziggurat  of skulls?

It is a centre piece from an old Waddington's Game called Dark World - I bought it years ago and it stayed in the "really useful cupboard" for some time.  The game is a poor Heroquest knock off but the bits were a wargamer's toolkit of houses and other bits.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
Great story Paul  :)
Good fun!

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
What a great looking game!
Looks like it was a lot of fun to.
I am unclear though, was Lady C rescued by the Evil Dr or eaten by the Lizard God at the end?

Another fun game of Pulp Alley the other night - this one was inspired by seeing Almaric's Skinks and scenery.  After seeing his fine pictures I had to find mine in the unused drawers and shamelessly steal his idea.
Using skinks for pulp isn't my idea, nor was the skink bod + kroot arm combo, but I fail to recall just where I saw it.

I think I just might be heavily inspired  ;) by this scenario in the future.

Thanks for the wonderful AAR.

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:01:59 PM »
Awesome..Thanks for the entertainment whilst I was eating breakfast.  ;)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 11:53:06 PM »
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!  :-* :-*

Thanks for making Pulp Alley look so awesome!  lol

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »
Great stuff!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 12:32:01 AM »
Also I noticed the 'BattleField In A Box' boxes in the background (Large Hill) but who makes the cobblestone pavers ? Is it the same company as the Alter?

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »
Really nice.  i have one of her by the same company but she is tied to a post.  You might want to look for that.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
Absolutely brilliant! That full table view photo just says it all, very inspiring (and I love the name Choo Fat!).

Offline pauld

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 10:02:52 AM »
thanks for the kind words everyone - much appreciated

who makes the cobblestone pavers

these are vinyl tiles - there was a thread the other day somewhere about these.  The were purchased from Wilkinsons and they offer them in a sandstone colour as well.

All my PA is played on vinyl tiles.  They make a nice 3' x 3' arrangement that can be varied according to the required design.  The green tiles for instance are a grass mat adhered to the sticky side

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 03:04:57 PM »
thanks for the kind words everyone - much appreciated]

I went straight to Ebay and,..lucky me,...found a Dark World game for sale. Just had to have one of those Alters.  :-*

Thanks for the head's up on a piece of knock out scenary.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:21:05 AM by Prof. Dinglebat. Phd. »