Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:32:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of Dorking  (Read 6080 times)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
The Battle of Dorking
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:23:30 PM »
In order to slow down the Prussian advance on London, the British generals conceived Operation Haymaker - an armoured column driving deep into the Prussian left flank. If the attack worked it would force the Prussians to remove troops from the London front to defend their flank.

In response to the British column's rapid advance, the Prussians put together a scratch force from what units were available to try to halt the column. The two forces met at Dorking.

Initial deplotment of the Prussian and British forces:

Cavalry and luftreiter on the Prussian left flank:

The Prussians advance:

To the right of the picture you can see two of the British secret weapons - the Ferdinand heavy tank and Crauford assault tank.

British armour (at top pf picture) breaks out from behind the woods to counter the rapid Prussian advance:

Having killed the entire crew of the British artillery piece in the village with gatling fire from the their steam cars, the Prussian cavalry attempt to turn the British flank:

In the village in the centre the british assault tank attacks a killerkan.

After destroying the Prussian steam tank with a lucky shot, the British advance on the Prussians occupying the buildings in the centre:

Despite Hauptmann von Hammerstein boarding the British assault tank to attack its crew with his steam-powered fist, the tank's driver manages to destroy the Prussian killerkan:

The Life Guards charge the Prussian infantry in the centre. Although they took heavy casualties the Life Guards held their ground. In the following turn they break the Prussian infantry:

A lucky hit from a British tank's gun temporarily disabled the Prussian spider, enabling the assault tank to attack the spider's legs with its saw (with Hauptmann von Hammerstein still fighting the tank's gun crew on its upper deck):

As the light fades the British assault tank continues its attempt to disable the Prussian spider. Meanwhile on the Prussian left flank their infantry and luftreiter engage in fierce street fighting with the british in the village.

Notes on the game:

The game was played between Bullshott (Prussians) and Nickinsomerset. Terrain is Nick's, troops and vehicles are from both of our collections. The rules were GASLIGHT with the Battles by GASLIGHT supplement. Each side fielded 20 elements (units, guns or vehicles). The rules worked very well, alowing us to control a large number of units and maintain the pace of the game.

We only stopped the game when I had to leave to return home. If we had continued it would have got very bloody, especially with troops engaged in house to house fighting in the central village. The armoured clash in the centre would have been a very close run thing, the result depending on whether the assault tank could disable the spider before von Hammerstein killed its crew.

As it was, the two sides withdrew with oncoming night. Both sides had successes and failures and came away with a number of lessons learnt regarding choice of forces and weapons for this kind of 'modern' warfare.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 03:00:48 AM »
Nice looking game Sir.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 03:12:46 AM »
So impressive! THank you!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 04:02:15 AM »
Excellent looking game and appropriate usage of the Killa Kan  :lol:

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 06:52:03 AM »
Sounds like fun!
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 07:50:26 AM »
Stunning!  Your friend is a very good customer of either Sellthatstuffboy or PMC games, judging by the buildings.

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline assi

• Scientist
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »
Nice Table

Where can i get these Buildings? :)
Oh sure. Everybody's in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a Great White Shark, ooh, suddenly you've gone too far

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 08:31:33 AM »
I say Sir Henry, Dorking's changed a bit since I was last there :lol:
Good to see the Home forces giving those Dastardly Prussians what for :lol:
We can't have those saurkraut and knockwurst sausage eating chaps running amok in our green and pleasant lands Eh What? :)

A great looking game, nice to see all the different armour on the table and Nick's Lifeguards in action :)

Must be nearly time for another skirmish in Teddington... :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 08:36:59 AM »
Quote from: "assi"
Nice Table Where can i get these Buildings? :)

They are only available on Ebay from a Sellthatstuffboy. The stuff is good and reasonably cheap for painted buildings, but be warned if you buy from him, you might have to wait sometime before your order arrives and he never responds to emails.
I ordered a batch of them in january and they arrived at the end of February, so you have to be patient. :x

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 08:18:14 PM »
Excellent looking game and appropriate usage of the Killa Kan

The killa kan was originally made for my Ost Africa field force, as a means of flushing out natives out of jungle and thick bush (armed with a heav flame thrower and powered saw). It only appeared in the game because my panzermensch suits were not ready (I only ever play with fully painted and based figures).

The killa kan actually did just what I wanted it to do and lasted a lot longer! At the other end of the village was a British field gun. It soaked up fire from the gun, thus allowing my infantry to safely advance to the village and diverting fire from the spider.

I should now be able to retire the killer kan, as the completed panzermensch suits will roll off the production line next week.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 08:43:24 PM »
Excellent game Sir H. I'm wondering what secret weapons you have up your sleeve  :wink: .
Don't!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:28:34 PM »
Well done again and very inspiring.

Reports have filtered into the press around here that those Prussians have set their eyes towards parts of Ireland as well. I suspect things may come to a head sometime Friday evening.

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 12:33:08 AM »
Excellent game, fab scenery, must get mine done.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 01:24:50 AM »
Thats awesome.

Where do the Life Guard figures come from?
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
The Battle of Dorking
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 08:08:41 AM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
Quote from: "assi"
Nice Table Where can i get these Buildings? :)

They are only available on Ebay from a Sellthatstuffboy. The stuff is good and reasonably cheap for painted buildings, but be warned if you buy from him, you might have to wait sometime before your order arrives and he never responds to emails.
I ordered a batch of them in january and they arrived at the end of February, so you have to be patient. :x

I have the same experience: he is offering the buildings continiously, so his painting falls behind when he sells well, but he always delivers (well packed in bubble wrap & boxed).  I've bought many times from him and have learned to accept this issue (I couldn't paint'm any faster anyway...).  Some advice: never bid higher than the starting price: the building you want will be nearly always offered again shortly after the auction has ended anyway, so there's no need for competitive bidding.  Good value for money, the buildings have interior access (though no detail) and are well cast.

Rudi