Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Renaissance Skirmish?  (Read 2818 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Renaissance Skirmish?
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
Posted a similar thread on TMP, but seems there are more Ren players here on LA, so thought it was worth repeating. Also thought I might compile a bit of a list for future reference.

I would like to do some 28mm Renaissance black powder skirmish games, say 20-50 figures per side. I actually have really gotten interested in the By Fire and Sword period recently and have always wanted to do something with my Foundry Copplestone Cossacks! (I will be getting BF&S when it comes out for sure.) What are people using for their Lead Adventure Bruelberg figs, for instance?

So far, rule sets that I thought might work with some modification are:

- Sharp Practice
- Muskets and Tomahawks
- Mordheim (very small scale)

Also suggested so far:

- Witchfinder General (sans horror elements)

Anything else to add to the list? There must be some good dedicated sets out there, or do people pretty much only do large scale or 15mm for Renaissance in general?

~ Ax

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
Re: Renaissance Skirmish?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:04:14 PM »
I was going to use Sharp practice but I was also going to dabble with the Perfects Captains Spanish Fury rules, specifically Spanish fury: actions.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »
Take a look at Stephen Dane's Escalade, a skirmish game for the TYW period. It has some good information to go with the rules.

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »
I was thinking of using the 'medieval' adaptations to Sharp Practice in their latest summer special as a starting point for a Border Reivers (c 1580) game, with some ideas from Dux Brit to develop a mini-campaign - but too many other projects getting in the way right now!

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
'Brink of Battle' has had a positive response on here from various quarters; not seen them myself but I think the rules are adaptable to a whole range of periods, and apparently work very well.

Incidentally, you won't regret getting BF&S, I got my copy at Salute, fantastic. Lovely figures too, which I have yet to start painting, but yes, well worth getting (only thing was, having spent at Salute, I couldn't really justify getting in on the kickstarter!)

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 01:42:53 AM »
Also Gloire from Rattrap Games and Flashing Steel From Ganesha Games. Oh and Hot Trod- a game about border reivers. En Garde! would also qualify.
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »
Jase posted a similar question back in March (Suggestions for Renaissance Skirmish Rules) and here were some of the suggestions (in addition to those already offered):

Smooth And Rifled  by Dadi & Piombo,  there's a blog/info site HERE
. Scroll down and there's an ECW add-on.

There is this group who used a modified version of lord of the rings/legends of the old west
http://www.spiritofthegame.org.uk/1588andallthat/about.htm

lTake a look at Hot Trod and Red Hand.  Designed for 16th Century Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers, but with a little tinkering could easily be used for many other campaigns. 
www.rebelpublishing.net/resources/Hot_Trod_Free_Rules.pdf

"Have pike will travel"

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 01:48:32 AM »
'Brink of Battle' has had a positive response on here from various quarters; not seen them myself but I think the rules are adaptable to a whole range of periods, and apparently work very well.

Thanks Black Crane. You makka me blush  :o lol

As a TYW fan and former Landsknecht re-enactor, I designed Brink of Battle to represent Renaissance combat especially well.  Smoke from black powder weapons actually matters in the game, for instance.  You will not be disappointed with shooting or close combat, as Weapon Reach is critically important, just as in real life.  There's even a Noch Weiter! Trait that increases your Weapon Reach when charging. Helps when a Zweihander goes up against a Pike.  lol

You can see our demo table with the TYW Swedish Horse raiding Faustburg and its Imperialist defenders in the Galleries section at www.brinkofbattle.com

Here's a sneak peek

Brent Spivey and I both had books nominated this year for Origins Awards, his in Best Miniatures Rules , mine in Best Historical Miniatures Rules category.  We've bundled PDFs of our games on Wargame Vault for a sale that ends June 15th when the Origins Awards are given.  You can get them here http://www.wargamevault.com/product/114594/Origins-Award-Triple-Play--%5BBUNDLE%5D

Let me know if you have any questions about the game.  :)
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games