Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Raging Heroes KS is already on fire, I see  (Read 14367 times)

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
Re: Raging Heroes kickstarter is already on fire, I see
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
Oh look...the matrix and GW dreadknight... ::)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
I haven't read the rest of this topic. I've said my piece and don't want to rant anymore. (It takes up too much time and angries up the blood) But I can imagine someone calling out my criticism of the tech-priestess concept art: "what are you talking about? It's a bit of skin surrounded by gross metal bits!" I don't know if that's the case, but here you go anyway.

http://repair-her-armor.tumblr.com/post/49565498424/spinnywizards-submitted-witchblade-redesign

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »
The Walker is pretty cool:

Like I say, I like the minis, but I think they are probably too detailed for me to do a decent job painting them.

Still not getting any of my money but it does follow their thematic feel quite well.  I wonder if the miniature will come out looking like the picture - many a slip between the lip and the cup.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Elladan

• Bookworm
    • elladan.de
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »
Hello dear LAF-members,
I cann't  or wont understand most the the discussion so far. For me a forum is a place to share the personel projects and opinions but not to attack other members for theirs.

Here are my 2 Cents...

... about the discussion so far:
There are so many companies and ten-thousands of miniatures on the market. So everybody in this hobby has to choose what and how many miniatures and rules he want/could buy. It is all a matter of interest and personal taste - and I think that it isn't a good idea to argue about such points. I didn't read all the comments but some seemed very offending.

... about my opinion about the miniatures:
Even if I am in the minority group I can honestly say that I like the concepts and miniatures (3D-renders, masters) so far. This is my first Kickstarter and I pledged  for the Major Level so far. I already bought 20 Blood Vestrals (for my personal taste the best Dark Elf Witch Elves). For me the company has proven with this miniatures that they can transpose their concepts into highly detailed and well cast miniatures. The following picture shows my painted blood vestal next to a Dark Elf miniature from Marc Copplestone (for size comparison).

I agree with some oppinions that the miniatures from Raging Heroes are a challenge to the painting skills. They may not the best choice to be painted in greater numbers in a good quality to do the sculpts justice. And when I sometimes will paint them every single miniature might be a showcase in my cabinet. And yes, they are not on the cheap side but for me they are worth the money.

I hope that the Kickstarter will work well in the next days and hopefully will unlock many more great miniatures to choose from.

Ciao

Elmar

http://www.elladan.de/
I love beautiful terrain.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »
It's a bit of skin surrounded by gross metal bits!" I don't know if that's the case, but here you go anyway.

http://repair-her-armor.tumblr.com/post/49565498424/spinnywizards-submitted-witchblade-redesign

Well likewise - I can respond to your points in a civilised manner now :)

On the subject of T&A, I agree that plenty of companies do objectify women - I have Infinity figures that have even more extreme proportions than the RH ones.  I can't see why you've singled out RH, or how you can compare Hasslefree favourably with RH on this point (I know someone else raided the HF connection first).  

Where on the Witchblade diagram would you put Hasslefree's pole dancer sculpt?  Or any of their demonettes or harem girls or fantasy adventurers?  How different is RH's One-Shot Blondie from Hasslefree's Boudi figure, young and buxom with a bare midriff?  Is "within the bounds of reality" what separates the two companies for you?  For me Hasslefree makes a lot of pinup and fantasy stereotype figures, anatomically correct though they are.

Ditto for ripping off other people's work.  Not only is it industry-wide, but since we've brought them up, Hasslefree have "not-" figures that are recognisably based on characters from Battlestar Galactica, Scooby Doo, Shaun of the Dead, Dirty Harry, Hot Fuzz and Army of Darkness.  And he's sculpted not-Doctor Who figures for Crooked Dice.  Again, why pick on RH, when their models are probably more "reminiscent of" GW's Catachan, Cadian (or Valhallans?) and Death Korps rather than a direct ripoff?

Now kudos to Hasslefree - their Libby figures are not just realistic, but actually representative of real women, in an industry where normal-looking female sculpts tend to end up in the "medieval villagers" pack.  And I own a number of the above "famous" sculpts - but I'm not the one complaining.

I do think a couple of the sculpts in the RH Kickstarter - Bernadette the Nurse, all boobs and rubber gloves, and one of the artiller figures, knock-kneed and bum in the air - are cheesecake to the point of being naff.  But I don't see the majority being cheesecake, or any worse than Hasslefree or many other companies' offerings.

As for Kickstarter and the virtues of being a small-timer, I just plain disagree with You and Mcfonz.  I don't think that small-timers are inherently more virtuous just because they do their own thing (worked for and with big and small companies over the past 25 years).

Kickstarter - some small companies I've backed have done some nice stuff that otherwise they might not have had the courage to try - Dreamforge, Stonehaven.  Nor do I think it's "grubby" or "grasping" to make stuff your customers want, or to take those requests on board.  I genuinely don't get the Kickstarter hate.

I also don't think that the customer base as a whole is "greedy" for freebies.  There are plenty of people who are happy to be on board and pay up front, excited by the product, keen to test the rules, as well as the selfish whiners.  Kickstarter feedback, internet forums (present company excluded) and Youtube comments all confirm what customer service staff and French existential philosophers have always known - hell is other people :)

TL;DR:  Why pick on Raging Heroes specifically?

Last up - what's a "worthy" miniatures Kickstarter?  One you like?  One where you know the guy?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:12:19 PM by Momotaro »

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2013, 06:58:50 AM »
They look great for some settings and as collectibles.  There is more to this hobby then pushing toy soldiers around and rolling dice.  Not as useful for a more realistic sci-fi but that could be said of male figures in similarly unrealistic outfits and poses which there are plenty of.  As far as "blue humor" absolutely!  My wife if planning to build a sniper squad consisting of ummm "entertainers" from the local gentleman's club for her militia army.  You can have fun with some of these settings especially sci-fi and fantasy in a way you often can't with historic settings. 

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »
Scurv,

Tell grandpa that Noch make some, uh, interesting, 1/72 figures in a lot of compromising positions for his model railway layout  lol

As for Raging Heroes, there are enough that I'd buy if I had a use for them.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
Scurv,

Tell grandpa that Noch make some, uh, interesting, 1/72 figures in a lot of compromising positions for his model railway layout ...
It's 1:87 not 1:72 ;) You can also buy a redlight district magazine and toys shop by Bush-Model and I remember someone produced tons of nudists and artists doing nude painting already back in the 80s

... still I remember no model railroader ever showing those around despite the affirmation by the model railroad supplier of my choice, that they are his best sellers...

We wargamers seem have no problem showing those minis around, ... I begin to wonder why?
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
Model railroad displays are usually static in one's loft or basement, garage or shed. You don't take them down to the club and lay them out!

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2013, 08:05:54 AM »
Well, as we all know by this KS was a big success. Didn't surprise me one bit, after all who (apart from yours truly) doesn't love GW aesthetics with a side order of boobies? What does surprise me a bit is that some of the actual trooper miniatures that look to be about to come out of this aren't really as overblown as the sketches seemed to imply. The characters seem to have been lavished with an overt degree of superfluous detail tho but I suppose that' sorta unavoidable, given the genre.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/raging-heroes-the-toughest-girls-of-the-galaxy/posts/625391

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »
What does surprise me a bit is that some of the actual trooper miniatures that look to be about to come out of this aren't really as overblown as the sketches seemed to imply.

Surprised me as well.

Perhaps if they had showed off the minis or 3d renders early on they would have gotten more attention.

The sketches actually scared me away from this one.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2013, 08:29:25 PM »
<snopP, after all who (apart from yours truly) doesn't love GW aesthetics with a side order of boobies? <snip>
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/raging-heroes-the-toughest-girls-of-the-galaxy/posts/625391

Make that two.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2013, 05:25:43 AM »
Yes, the final versions are actually quite a bit less lunatic. Kind of funny how that worked out, especially given how over-the-top their existing models were.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2013, 06:28:05 AM »
Maybe it's a cost issue or something. I should think less Gothic encrustation leads to lower production costs ???