Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:11:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690925
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars X-wing core set review  (Read 7195 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Star Wars X-wing core set review
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:38:47 AM »
I finally caved in and got into Star Wars X-wing the miniature game from Fantasy Flight Games. Having played it a couple of times I really saw the appeal, though it was - and is - quite expensive to get into.

Still, with a surplus in my gaming budget I bought into the game and am taking a look at the core set in my first review of the X-wing range:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/06/star-wars-x-wing-core-set-review.html

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Star Wars X-wing core set review
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »
Unfortunately the single ships are equally expensive everywhere from what I have seen. My next review will however take a look at the single ship expansion packs which I found to include a bit more than just a ship.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »
I keep feeling the weight of the game on me...Target has it cheap $30 for the set...trying to resist right now as I have too many damm Kickstarters on the plate.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 05:17:54 PM »
Fantastic game (and a good review).

If you just want more stuff to play with, buy a second starter set - it's cheaper than buying the three ships separately, and you get more dice, movement rulers and tokens.

If you really get into the game, the individual ship packs give you some new ships and ace pilots (Wedge, Vader).  The pilot and astromechs also have abilities that act in synergy with each other and the cards in the base set.

Not played with the Wave 2 and 3 ships, but there's a lot of fun gaming with the ships in even just the starter.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
Fantastic game (and a good review).

If you just want more stuff to play with, buy a second starter set - it's cheaper than buying the three ships separately, and you get more dice, movement rulers and tokens.

If you really get into the game, the individual ship packs give you some new ships and ace pilots (Wedge, Vader).  The pilot and astromechs also have abilities that act in synergy with each other and the cards in the base set.

Not played with the Wave 2 and 3 ships, but there's a lot of fun gaming with the ships in even just the starter.

I have a co-worker in the next week or two we are going to try to get together and play X-Wing, we may try Saturday after I run a tournament at a gaming convention...

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »
Price is the one thing that is stopping me from getting this to be honest.

Some of the kids I work with would love it as a game to play but I can't justify risking things getting broken on that price - or just the price at all.

I know there is the license to cover but isn't this by the same people as wings of war which also wasn't the cheapest game to buy into?
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »
I understand the price grumbles, but the sheer quality of the ships, I feel, make it worth it. It's almost like having a little collection, as well as game pieces. I have the core set but will be looking to start expanding soon. As Momotaro says, a second core set is a very good plan to get those Tie Fighter numbers up and an extra set of dice is really necessary anyway. Extra tokens also very useful. I actually beheld in the flesh the Millennium Falcon and Slave 1 at Partisan, and for what they are I reckon I could sleep soundly at night having spent the asking price. Lovely ships.

Derek: We need to get this one to the table again, soon! (along with everything else lol)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:29:08 PM by Gibby »

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
I've got got a whole bunch of fighters from both waves as well as the 2 big ships (Millenium Falcon and Slave 1).  It's a great game to play, very quick to learn.  You really need the expansion sets to get a variety of ships and pilots onto the table.  Fleet building is really about the synergy between pilots.
  At the UK Nationals a couple of weeks ago we had 58 players, playing 6 games for the chance to win a trip to the States to take part in the FFG World Championships.  There were a wide variety of fleets on the tables, although TIE swarms were quite popular (top 2 players had 6/7 ships each) as were Firesprays (Slave 1) and the Millenium Falcon.
  The tournament scene over here was a bit cobbled together this year, but I expect it will be better organised next year.  Indeed there are already moves on Facebook to set up a National League, with tournaments outside the official FFG ones.
Look us up on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/362301943882552/ to find somebody close to you for a game, or just discuss the game.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
One thing that blew me away was the size of tie fighters. THey dwarf the X wing!

The reason I bought the game is I got it for $35. A penny more and it would of been put back.

Because they are the first true scale representation of them. Love the game and the potential additional ships outside of the ffg waves, shapeways and action fleet. Watch this space as Col Baggy and I have something very very special planned. .. ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:36:45 PM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 02:54:57 AM »
Damn, that's no vid to watch drunk...  o_o
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 07:42:51 AM »
It is the price that keeps putting me off wi this. It seems a lot of money to be paying for 3 minis and a bunch of cardboard tokens.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 07:50:13 AM »
It is the price that keeps putting me off wi this. It seems a lot of money to be paying for 3 minis and a bunch of cardboard tokens.

Well it would be if you intended to sit and look at the the components, but fortunately there's a really fun game to be had with all those bits lol

Seriously though, it's a great game. I have spent as much money with only a hangover to show for it, etc.

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 05:55:23 PM »
It's a nice enough game, good quick fun, don't see any future for it once you do the ships from the movies but hey Ho.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »
were you seeing quadruple?  lol

Had some problems focussing  o_o
Nothing compared to the problem I face right now : a persistent hangover and a brass band in the vicinity that's doing it's thing... :'(

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
It's a Star Wars product...it'll eventually be filled with a bunch of horrible ships from the prequels and some obnoxious stuff from comics or books...plenty of room for expansion - unfortunately.

lol

Actually I have to say - I think part of the draw for me is the limit of expansion.  While it would be a bit of an investment, if you had a couple of each fighter from the original trilogy you're set.  Play it a couple times, throw it in the box.  Pull it out a few months later, get a game or two in.  I like games which don't require a yearly investment and constant upkeep etc. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!