Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Denizens of the solar system  (Read 7006 times)

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Denizens of the solar system
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:39:36 AM »
Here are a few pics of my VSF minis.  Been meaning to put them up for ages.  Apologies for the photos, seems I can never get the colour to turn out right.  All C&C welcome!

Examples of grunts (front) - Belgian and British. Have around 20 of each in all, several poses.  Belgians are from Pulp Figures, British are plastic Wargames Factory (probably to be replaced in the near future).

Examples of grunts (rear)

British Commander and steam suit - Suit made from old Plastic Space Marine, with added rivets and steam box.

British Commander and steam suit

Green martian chief with his third left hand and third right hand - mild conversions using Metal/plastic GW weapons

Some more Martians - have around 20 in all, some armed with just spears/swords/slings

A Venusian parrot hound handler and his beast - Weappon whittled from Kroot rifle, sword made from plastic bits

Sir Claude Buttocks and his faithful manservant inspect the interactive globe of Mars they discovered in the ruined city of Cydon Majoris.  Globe is a toy I found somewhere, repainted.

Explorers (skirt inspired by a figure seen here, long ago!)

HMQVGBH, Belgian Engineer (converted Pulp Figure), Half dressed soldier

Her Majesty and Co from the rear (ahem)

Belgian Command types

Venusian Bear handler and Bear - Bear is from a Golden Compass board game, they come in 2 poses I have 4 altogether, though I tend to use them with Martians more than Venusians now.

Venusian Sharp Shooter and Berserker

Venusian Chief and Armstrong McNeil - the sole survivor of the second expedition to Venus, who now thinks he is a native (Thanks to ingestion of taboo substances, not yet known to man at large).

Thanks for looking.

Edit: Spelling.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:36:15 AM by Supercollider »

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Denizens of the solar system (Several Pics)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 03:36:46 AM »
MUCH AWESOMENESS!!! (sound of polite clapping and muffled here-here's)  :D

Offline tanktastic43

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »
Some great stuff there!

I really like your Martians.

Well done!

tt43.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 07:19:41 AM »
Interesting collection of figures  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 07:52:55 AM »
Thanks guys :)

I forgot to add these few pics earlier - currently using these guys as the Nomadic Red Martians that roam the dead sea beds, picking over the ruins of the former civilization, raiding transports, and avoiding the big green guys as much as possible (unless they greatly outnumber the brutish greenskins).  I have some other figures to use as City/Canal Martians, but I haven't got round to painting them yet.  Also working on some scratch built skiffs.

First pic is of leader types, the rest are the grunts.

This is a Forgryp, a mysterious half-human half-green martian, discovered abandoned in an oasis at the bottom of Valless Marinaris, the grandest canyon in the solar system.  He's currently being looked after by a benevolent American couple (and their dog), who are doing their best to pretend the powers he is beginning to manifest are just products of their own imaginations.  His existence has been noticed by various factions - and he seems to fit neatly into a couple of conflicting, and seriously ominous, prophecies...

Posting all these pics has reminded me I have some basing to attend to!   lol
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:34:36 AM by Supercollider »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »

Has definitely risen to cheers and, amongst some of the less cultured, whistles and grunts. A few cuffs to the ear will put them in line.

Sorry if I missed in the comments, but from whence do those Martians come?

Doug

former user

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »

well in my case it would be more a standing ovation - not only at the crispness of the PJ but also at the inventiveness and diversity of the collection - the production design so to speak

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 06:27:21 PM »
Thanks again for the encouraging words :) The figures are from a few manufacturers... I find that assembling the cast is one of the best parts of the hobby, though it can take a while sometimes ;)

The green Martians are from Aegis Figures:

http://aegisfigures.blogspot.com/2010/10/sw1-bug-warriors-for-sale.html

They take quite a bit of assembling and cleanup, but I find them very rewarding.  With a bit of creative snipping, filing and filling, you can equip them with more or less anything you'd like (they originally come with swords, spears, bows and throwing discs).  They'd probably make good selenites too?

The Nomad Martians are from Ironclad:

http://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/shop/category_18/Martians.html?sessid=1ufalSx1iseJQGyziCXPiypteFIvyhyNYtPwdVXEIZmUgFWAGyYABRUSm19iw66C&shop_param=cid%3D%26

And I've just noticed they have added more, which I may have to get :)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »
Very inspirational stuff!  :-*

I shall take my place amongst the people cheering and chanting your name good Sir.

What kind of terrain you have? Any vehicles?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 06:40:02 PM »
These are getting better and better!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
Thanks.

I have quite a bit of terrain, I'll have to put up some pictures, or do an AAR next time we play, or something.  Mostly desert style stuff, adobe style buildings, minarets, ruined temples, weird alien flora, canals, jungle, etc.

Also have loads of Weird Wild West stuff (figs and buildings), which I should take some pics of.

I've got several scratch built vehicles, detailed in this thread:  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=22797.0

Currently attempting to finish the drilling machine, working on some aeronefs and martian skiffs, and a trailer for the steam howdah.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »
Brilliant all of them love the bugs and animals excellent work and ideas

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »
Here are some examples of scratch built Martian beasties.  Made from bits of wire, beads and balls.  Inspired by a post I saw on here a few years ago (can't find it now), but thanks for the inspiration!

Gaspode's Gaspods - they hunt in packs and appear to be attracted by noise and/or rapid movement (Greame Gaspode, the famed naturalist posits that electrical activity is the attractor).  Their main tactic is ambush, and many firefights are joined by them.  Attacks on flying vehicles is also not unheard of.  Hard to kill with just bullets... plus they are known to explode on occasion.  They have a 'get out of jail' reflex - releasing noxious gas into the immediate vicinity (same poison as their tentacles), and launching themselves vertically, out of harm's way. 

Pic showing scale. 'Nous aider!'

Paroom 'Pooner - A lone hunter, it drops from the skies onto its unwary prey, arresting its rapid descent just in time to avoid collision with the floor.  Simultaneously, it harpoons the unlucky target, electrocutes them, stunning it and laving it conscious, but not killing it.  Finally it jets off again, upwards, to feed on its still living prey.  Many nights in the wilderness of Mars are punctuated by cries from aloft, as an unlucky victim of a 'Pooner regains control of his larynx.

'I say old boy, did you just say 'Swish'?'

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:30 PM »
Love the beasties  8)

cheers

James

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »
Oh Bravo sir! :o