Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:55:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aftermath! rpg from FGU  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Halforc

• Assistant
Aftermath! rpg from FGU
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:48:09 PM »
New to this forum and after lurking and seeing some great minis thought I would join on a more visible
Level.

Do any here still play Aftermath? (Or have) FGU have recently risen from the ashes, and are selling the game again too.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Aftermath! rpg from FGU
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
Wow. thats a memory jolt from the mid eighties. :)

I had the game and all the supplements and played it until the books fell apart. Sadly left it in the hands of a mate who I no longer see, so the whereabouts of my copy remain a mystery.

Glad to hear it's been reissued, is the system updated in any way?

I doubt I would re-invest or play it again as my role playing days are long in the past.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »
I played Aftermath! back in the day (the mid-late 1980's being "the day")... I remember the system being almost absurdly concerned with minor details of ballistics, and the d30 for hit locations was a challenge when only Lou Zocchia was making them (it was rumored).

OTOH, playing in a nation torn apart by a limited nuclear exchange and several waves of biowarfare had its moments. The group included two wandering epidemiologists who were cataloging variations of the neurological Mad Plagues, and they hit the mother-lode when they arrived in The Kingdom of Montana. The American Great Plains had come under the sway of a faction of vulnerably-mad plague survivors who accepted the whole quasi-feudal political sham which kept something like a civil society running in the area. And the group became trouble-shooters for Leopold the First, King of Montana and the Dakotas, Brittainic Protector of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, Grand Duke of Alberta, Warlord of the Great plains, Defender of the Mormons and Honorary Grand Sachem of the Lakota Conference. "King Leopold" was a former USAF missile commander who was not insane - just very,very determined, and a little quirky.

Memorable moment - confronting the Commander of the Australian Expeditionary Force in Nevada during an embassy mission to convince them that expanding their North American holdings past the Rockies would be a Bad Idea: the gift Leopold sent was a missile launch key with the name "Sidney" scratched on it. :)
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Halforc

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »
Was extremely detailed rules wise and combat to begin with slow, however I ran a campaign based on Jerry Ahernes survivalist books and ran one adventure where 5 players took on 65 bikers, took 2 sessions approx 6 hours altogether and ran seamlessly.

FGU have bought out a couple of new supplements recently too, including the long awaited technology supplement.

I may have to build the Anderson bunker.........    :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
I remember the system being almost absurdly concerned with minor details of ballistics

I remember spending ages enjoying looking through the weapons list at the back of book three. I don't remember any other game that went into so much detail about firearms. :)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »
Eric and I played it in his first shed. Brilliant game but not suitable for a modern RPG anymore. Too much crunch and not much else. We used to pay money to whoever got the first bollocks hit on an opponent, great hilarity all round!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:00:01 PM »
Aftermath was one of those games I always wanted to play.  I even know the owner of FGU, Scotty Bizare (sp?), a LONG time roleplayer.  Also had a pretty nice FOW British army....

The problem with Aftermath is the complexity, it's 'too crunchy', and I like crunchy!  I think some of the things can be house ruled and simplified.

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Halforc

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:35:03 PM »
For really crunchy try space opera  :o now creating a character took nearly a week!

Pod shot? Location 12, roll 52 on percentile :)