Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689348
  • Total Topics: 118276
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rulesets for a participation game of sorts...  (Read 1497 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Rulesets for a participation game of sorts...
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
I'm planning to do a birthday bash game, with several concurrent players. Maybe something like 4-5 players.

I'd like the forces to be one leader character, two or so lieutenants and a handful of minions. All in all 8-10 minis per player.

The forces will be "equal" in strength, but different enough to affect how they play.

I'd prefer random activation order (card based) rather than "my turn, your turn, his turn".

Which rule set would you recommend? I have several that I'm thinking of (mainly modded SBH or CROM).

Would really like to hear ideas on how to play CROM as an open free for all (with obejctives, but no GM).

I'm hoping to host an all day event where we play smaller skirmishes to build up a narrative, and then do a big-ass finale with all warbands on the same table.

I would prefer if each player would be his own man, and not have the players divided into two teams. Alliances could be formed on the table, of course - but ultimately it's every man for himself.

It's important that the rules allow for unit creation, as I want to incorporate a rather ecclectic bunch of models. I would also like it to cover magic, as the scenario is "magicians and stooges battle it out on the island of magical death of doom" kind of.

Edit; I own the following rulesets but am no stranger to try something new: SBH, CROM, Warrior Heroes, Broadsword Adventures, Brink of Battle. Out of those I'm only really familiar with SBH and CROM (which I've read quite a few times but never really played).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:01:31 AM by phreedh »
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: Rulesets for a participation game of sorts...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »
I would suggest using SoBH. It's very easy, the standard 300 warband is 9 models in most cases. An objective sort of mechanic is in the Flashing Steel, also a game from Ganesha Games. Mixing them will definitely enhance your game :)
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:45:34 AM »
Savage Worlds Showdown (free download: http://www.peginc.com/pdfstore/savage-worlds-showdown/ ).

Perfect for your list of requirements. Gives you the opportunity to build whatever eclectic mix of troops (melee, missile or both) in the units and is a very easy game for players to learn on the fly. It is simple to add in elements from the full Savage Worlds game to make an rpg lite game with character development and there are loads of optional Savage Worlds expansions which add more detail of specific game genres.

Otherwise the old WOTC Chainmail is great for Fantasy skirmish games (but you knew I would say that didn't you!). Is distinct from but has a very similar feel/scope to D&D skirmish. It is also free download if you want to take a look: http://www.dndadventure.com/dnda_dm_resources.html

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »
I would suggest using SoBH. It's very easy, the standard 300 warband is 9 models in most cases. An objective sort of mechanic is in the Flashing Steel, also a game from Ganesha Games. Mixing them will definitely enhance your game :)

Id go this route, quick and fast with pre specced stats for models, less hassle setting up and easy to learn. Scenario will also be your friend for a quick game and add in interest

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
SBH is the ruleset we normally play at my house. There are a few issues with using it though.

I want to use random activation order based on a deck of cards representing a character or group of minion models. Each card would correspond roughly to the same amount of points. We might be five players playing in the same game, with what is essentially five sides.

To use this in combination with the ordinary activation rules of SBH wouldn't work. I don't want turnovers to spoil the fun, so regular activation rules are a no-no. It should be an action filled game, not "oh, my goblin failed it's activation test with two dice so now I don't get to move any of my elite troops... ho-hum". There's no room for the players to grow accustomed to this mechanic, it would only generate complaints about it being totally random whether you get to move your troops or not.

What I've been considering is to have the activation deck, and when a player draws one of their unit cards they activate the model(s) with what's basically a group activation. However, a unit gets one free activation (almost like the hero ability, which would be redundant in this game).

Rob, good suggestions. I've got SWS printed since a few years. Never really got into it as SBH worked out so well. Will give it a once-over. Also, thanks for pointing out Chainmail. Fun stuff!

I'm also considering Warhammer + Warhammer Skirmish as most of the guys are familiar with the structure of the WHFB statline in one way or another. None of them are miniature gamers though.

Not so sure about Fanticide though, would prefer to not buy a book with a lot of fluff tied into the game mechanics.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:14:55 PM by phreedh »