Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:11:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord plastic romans review  (Read 6328 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Warlord plastic romans review
« on: May 02, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »
Bob Barnetson has written a review of the upcoming Warlord 28mm plastic Roman figures for TGN

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2008/05/02/14246

The review also includes photos of the sprues

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warlord plastic romans review
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek"
Bob Barnetson has written a review of the upcoming Warlord 28mm plastic Roman figures for TGN

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2008/05/02/14246

The review also includes photos of the sprues

That's a very well written revue and the pics are very useful.

It's certainly given me plenty to ponder.

Thanks very much for giving us the "heads-up"

Cheers,
Ian

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »
Nice review Zac. It will be interesting to see how this switch to plastic by so many companies plays out.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 05:12:18 PM »
There were some issues with the review that I was not 100% happy with and as such I have pulled the review and asked Bob to add some additional commentary.

I hope to have it back up in the next few days.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
Review is back online

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
Quote from: "Operator5"
Nice review Zac. It will be interesting to see how this switch to plastic by so many companies plays out.

Well with the Perry's doing it as well I think that metal may, in a few years, be a minor part of the indsutry and Ancients will be like GW's figure ranges now. Metal only for command and unique figures.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 07:49:34 AM »
Quote from: "Operator5"

Well with the Perry's doing it as well I think that metal may, in a few years, be a minor part of the indsutry and Ancients will be like GW's figure ranges now. Metal only for command and unique figures.

It's what GW have been doing for years, and it makes their more useful plastics [eg Kroot, skeletons, Tau etc] more affordable. With subjects like the ACW and Romans, which have a large fan base in historical gamers, it should prove a successful ploy. I hope so!

I don't know if it would ever work for some of the more obscure periods that so many here love so much, though, due to the initial higher cost of setting it up.  ......

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"
I don't know if it would ever work for some of the more obscure periods that so many here love so much, though, due to the initial higher cost of setting it up.  ......

HaT and others seem to be able to release stuff like Sumerians on a regular basis so perhaps the issues isn't start-up costs per se but start-up costs for detailed plastic figures?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 04:28:47 PM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"

HaT and others seem to be able to release stuff like Sumerians on a regular basis so perhaps the issues isn't start-up costs per se but start-up costs for detailed plastic figures?

Yes, that's what I probably should have said  :oops:

I know the Perrys have written about the initial costs being higher than metal, as well as hard plastic mouldings needing more work with the original greens due to the difference in the production processes. It's not a subject I know much about, but they do, so that's good enough for me   :lol:

The Perrys' article in the latest Wargames Illustrated puts it far more succinctly than I ever could.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »

I think part of the reason these companies are willing to release figures from so-called 'obscure' periods is the plastic used in casting.  Polystyrene is so much more flexible than styrene.  You can probably pull thousands more sprues of the softer plastic figures before they start to wear than you can of the harder styrene.
How many of us grew up collecting the Airfix figure packs just to play with? As we got older, we started to think about converting them and began wishing they were made in a harder material so they were easier to clean up and glue.  If they had been styrene from the start, I don't think we would ever have seen any of the variety we now have.
I'm glad we are now beginning to see hard plastic make a wider appearance.  Most collectors are adults, now, and we're willing to do a little extra work to get just what we want in a figure, either for gaming or collecting.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 06:23:12 PM »
Cheers for plastics, which make historical Wargaming affordable to me

With those romans and the upcoming Wargames Factory early romans we should be able to field large armies of early romans with a well looking mix of poses.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »
I am not into historicals (too many projects, too few space) but these romans are really tempting me as they can be used as Nemedian soldiers in Conan adventures with the Broadsword Adventure ruleset.
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--