Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:33:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Song of Blades & Heroes campaign [intro]  (Read 2107 times)

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
New Song of Blades & Heroes campaign [intro]
« on: June 17, 2013, 04:51:01 PM »
My club is starting a new Song of Blades this week! It'll be a narrative map-based campaign, same as last summer's event (http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/p/iron-isle-song-of-blades-heroes.html). Here's the map (and associated charts) I came up with. It's all posted on our blog, too ---> http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/p/dark-days-have-come-to-lands-of-qaarra.html

I also did a little narrative intro based on the map.

Dark days have come to the lands of Qaarra. A billowing cloud of smoke and soot, the legacy of the doom that wracked the Iron Isle nearly a year ago, creeps south, spreading foulness and chaos across the landscape.

In Vildeburg, the grimy jewel of Qarraa and the greatest city for a thousand leagues in any direction, the elders meet to discuss this ill portent. What does it mean for their fragile bastion of civilization?

In their mountain fastness Stonehill near the coast, the dwarves look to the horizon with stolid determination, knowing that their way of life is about to change.

In the verdant forests, the elves gird themselves with ancient armor and powerful magic, ready to fight for their future on Qaarra.

In the dusty, windswept wastes of the Agamin desert, Lord Kalessin inclines his ghastly visage to the west and regards the doom-cloud on the horizon. A dry cackle escapes from his ruined throat. For centuries, he has been awaiting a sign -- and now it has arrived.

Elsewhere, villagers, knights, warriors, heroes and rapscallions all feel the coming tumult. Some choose to flee, and soon the wilderness roads are thick with families on the move. Brigands and raiders take to the hills, preying on these unwary travelers. Feral creatures and foul monsters lurk in the dark hills. Upheaval and chaos seems poised to engulf Qaarra. As the doom-cloud dims the sun, mercenaries, barbarians and adventurers sweep through the borderlands. They are met by unlikely groups of heroes and warriors determined to protect their homeland.

Alliances will shatter, only to be reborn again in the fires of battle.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: New Song of Blades & Heroes campaign [intro]
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:35:13 PM »
Sweet! Nice background and intro. You've got tons of potential there for a fun summer of gaming. It sounds like a great way to put narrative with the extreme flexibility your group has to play with. I'm looking forward to pictures and reports!

Jevenkah

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:18:35 AM »
Always love a good fantasy map.  :-*  This campaign is looking great.

What are the WHFB and Mordheim number references under the 'what shall we play?' list?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:26:43 AM by Vermis »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:11:25 AM »
The numbers reference scenarios in a fan made supplement that converts every Warhammer Skirmish and Mordheim scenario to SBH.  It's a really great document.

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:29:07 AM »
The numbers reference scenarios in a fan made supplement that converts every Warhammer Skirmish and Mordheim scenario to SBH.  It's a really great document.

:o I must have this document. Where can it be found? In the files section of the yahoo group? I enjoyed last years batreps and looking forward to these!

Edit: found it here http://hour11gaming.blogspot.com/p/song-of-blades-heroes-stuff.html?m=1

That blog is awesome.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:49:04 AM by doctor_ocks »

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:40:44 AM »
Thanks for posting that link! Lots to work with in there for any system!

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »
Great.

Looks like much of work has been spent on this. Nice, Im sure it will all bay back in gaming fun.