Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:17:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley AAR -- Escape from Hell  (Read 3179 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Pulp Alley AAR -- Escape from Hell
« on: June 19, 2013, 05:55:18 AM »
Elaine & Nestor return in “Escape from Hell”

I don't know how well this works as an AAR, but it was tons of fun to play. Overall, it had this very cool spy-fi feel.

The Initiative in Pulp Alley is very unique. And although it is very easy to understand, it can be hard to master. This AAR may illustrate times when it is better to move first, and times when it is better to force your opponent to move first. This is just something you'll learn as you play the game, and Mila is a master…

Returning to Al-Jabarti’s stronghold under the cover of darkness, Elaine must find and rescue her sister before dawn. She knows of three possible locations where Lilia might be held, but she must avoid alarming the camp…

There are two sentries wandering the area. Perhaps they know where Lilia is being held? …

Elaine and Nestor start the scenario in hiding, but a guard is nearby…

I draw a “Spot” story-icon on turn one, and get to move one of my sentries 6" in any direction. Oh yes! I have her now! Elaine hugs the shadows, holds her breath, and prays -- and the sentry walks on by (NOOOOOO!)…

Taking a chance, Elaine ambushes the guard and manages to quietly subdue him. Nestor immediately moves up and questions the sentry. Mila needed to roll 1 success with Finesse and made it – so now she knows Lilia is being held in the hotel…

Turn 2, sticking to the outskirts and counting on the cover of night to hide their movement, Elaine and Nestor run towards the hotel…

My other sentry happens to move in the right direction, but they are both just out of range… and on the other side of a big truck...

At the start of turn 3 Mila decides to activate both of her characters first, rather than giving me a chance to get a lucky “direction” roll. By the end of the turn she had reached the hotel…

At the start of turn 4, I finally draw an “Encounter” (see icon in bottom-right corner) and get to add another sentry to the table. Placing the sentry on top of her plot point seemed like a good idea. The sentry comes out the door and walks to the balcony “Thought I heard something…”

Mila decides to spend Elaine’s activation to go back into hiding (full action) and quickly moves Nestor behind the hotel…

The first thing Mila did on turn 5 was to put Nestor into hiding, and it’s a good thing she did because the sentry walked over and looked down. Luck was on Nestor’s side and the guard failed to spot him crouching in the shadows. To make matters worse, Elaine quietly scaled the wall and was right behind the guard! …

Turn 6, and Elaine has to decide – take out the guard or free Lilia? With time running out, it’s easy to decide. Elaine sneaks passed the guard, unlocks the door (Finesse x2 challenge), and rescues her sister. Hearing the noise, the guard comes to investigate, “ALARM! ALARM! …” Knowing it is time to get going, Nestor run to the car and jumps in the driver’s seat…

Turn 7, Al-Jabarti’s men pour out of a half-dozen buildings…

Elaine and Lilia leap from the balcony, landing in the back of the automobile, and Nestor takes off driving as fast as he can…

Al-Jabarti’s henchmen load into a truck to follow as the sisters speed away. “You’re full of surprises, Nestor. I didn’t know you could drive?” Elaine laughs.

“Nor I, mistress. Nor I…”

THANKS

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
Re: Pulp Alley AAR -- Escape from Hell
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:23:09 AM »
Looks great! It seems like you are having a really good time :)

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
I like this - an informative AAR backed up by great pic, beautifully painted models and a gripping text.

Thanks,

RMZ

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 02:16:52 PM »
Awesome. Nothing beats sneaking your minis around at night in occupied territory.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
Elaine and Lilia leap from the balcony, landing in the back of the automobile, and Nestor takes off driving as fast as he can…

Absolutely brilliant!

Al-Jabarti’s henchmen load into a truck to follow as the sisters speed away. “You’re full of surprises, Nestor. I didn’t know you could drive?” Elaine laughs. “Nor I, mistress. Nor I…”

You should be writing films!

Great report and photos. What a game!

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:52 PM »
half a dozen figures, a car and a couple of buildings, epic 8)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »
What a nice read.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »
Thanks, guys. I think we're going to do a car chase scenario next!!  :D :D

Stay tuned......

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:29 PM »
We were just going to play 6 turns, but I saw the car sitting there and thought we should roll out of town in style!  lol

-Mila

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 04:22:11 AM »
This wasa great battle report and looked like a really fun game! Your scenery is inspiring!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 05:47:38 AM »
 :-* Your terrain, story, and little details are just sick. Good sick.

I've read the rules, and am having a hard time getting used to the story as you go along narrative aspect- these AARs really help :)

Would you mind listing out what the "league roster" for Elaine and Nestor would look like?
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »
:-* Your terrain, story, and little details are just sick. Good sick.

I've read the rules, and am having a hard time getting used to the story as you go along narrative aspect- these AARs really help :)

Would you mind listing out what the "league roster" for Elaine and Nestor would look like?

THANKS! I'm glad the AAR's are a help. I'll try to include more 'mechanics of play' in our next AAR to connect the narrative with the rules a little better.

On the roster below, you may notice a couple unfamiliar abilities. This is because we are already playtesting new abilities for our third book -- Pulp Leagues. Shhhh... it's a secret.  :D

Also, note that Mila only has a 4 slots filled. She fills the remaining slots on an ad hoc basis (or doesn't), just based on the scenario/story we're playing. For example, in "Left for Dead" Mila added a Sidekick and two more Allies, but didn't take any extra characters in this last game. Tuppy has not been introduced yet.

The scenarios we're playing in Elaine's story-arc are much more of an rpg style rather than skirmishes....

HAVE FUN