Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:44:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN: Line of Sight / Cover  (Read 1385 times)

Offline lordbert

• Bookworm
    • Lord Bert's
IHMN: Line of Sight / Cover
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »
Hi Guys,

A question about IHMN if I may. I know I'm likely over thinking this, as the essence of the game is KISS, but a little clarity would help tremendously.

We had a few debates in last nights game with regard to line of sight and what constituted in cover. The rules state you can be in cover in section 4.1.1, which is clear enough - so if a model is behind a low wall you have a -1 penalty against them. If they're leaning round the corner of a building they are at -3 due to a stone building.

The bit that confused me, was in section 3.3.1, where it states a target is in line of sight if any part of the target can be seen unless there is an "area of terrain" in the line of sight and then it may not be. Now obviously some woodland would be an area of terrain, but what else would effect this line of sight. For example, the building from which the target is leaning around the corner from is in the line of sight or at least obscured part of the figure. I think my question is more about what is an area of terrain - is it terrain that allows you line of sight but may partially obscure that view?

Oh, and while I remember - when in a close combat fight, do you count the penalty of movement into that fight against shooting in combat? So for example, if felicity runs into combat, she'd be at a -3 penalty from the run, plus a penalty from the opponents speed? Or would it just be the penalty from speed as with normal fighting.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: IHMN: Line of Sight / Cover
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
I think that the Area of terrain they are referring to are things that are completely between the shooter and the target and represent terrain but can be seen through by the player. An example would be a stand with some trees on it or stacks of crates.

Regarding the Shooting in a Fight question: You do modify the shot by any movement, including that which takes you into the fight. Its included in the example on page 14 of the rules.

Offline lordbert

• Bookworm
    • Lord Bert's
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »
Sorry, I asked that the wrong way round on the fighting/shooting. What I meant to say was, do you suffer the -3 penalty for the target running into the combat, as that isn't in the example.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
Ahh, I would still play it as all moving AND speed modifiers apply as the rules seem decidedly set upon the rationale that movement and shooting work at cross purposes. Something I tend to agree with given some of the data I've read about 19th century gunfights at close range.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
Col Skrapwelder is indeed correct in this instance  :D

I'm beginning to think there are people here who know the rules better than myself!
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/