Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Republican 1936 Uniform - Spanish Civil War  (Read 8027 times)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Republican 1936 Uniform - Spanish Civil War
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
Gents,

Does anyone know what 28mm Empress Miniatures figures would best represent the early Republican Army in 1936? ie the Loyalist Peninsular forces that remained under control of the Republic before the creation of the Popular Army. Would the Nationalist infantry packs be the figures used as they wear straight pants?

These troops appeared to be in a khaki ‘brown’ color. I assume that would be the color of the Rebel Nationalist troops in 1936 as well...would that be correct? If so then for 1936 the same figures would be usable for either army...correct?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Happy Wanderer

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Republican 1936 Uniform - Spanish Civil War
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »
The Republicans disbanded the Army within two days of the coup beginning. As such those members of the armed forces which chose to remain in uniform and fight for the Republic, wore their pre-coup uniform complete, or mixed it with civilian items on a personal basis. Ribbons worn on the arms, in either the Republican colours, or plain red, were used to distinguish loyalists from rebels.

The soldiers themselves joined the militias, either on an individual basis, or in entire units, although to what degree is uncertain. The best way to represent this is by adding individual 'army' figures to militia units, or by fielding small units of them. The Empress Falangistas, Nationalist Infantry and even the Legion figures could be mixed with groups of militia.

Group of militia, complete with soldiers (to the right and rear)...

A miliciana ties 'republic' ribbons on loyalist Guardia Civil in Barcelona, July 1936.

A loyalist soldier and miliciana take cover during street fighting in Barcelona, July 1936.

Although described at the time as 'militia', I can't decide whether this is a soldier in fatigue 'Mono', with a militia cap, or a miliciano in bits of army kit.

The Spanish Army uniform would be the same for both sides in the first few months and was an olive green colour, worn over a green/grey shirt. The Summer trousers were essentially the same colour as the shirt. Boots and equipment were brown leather, although white canvas Alpargatas (sandals) were worn instead of boots, as in the last but one photo. There was also a one piece set of 'fatigue' coveralls, which were a sort of tan colour and like the blue 'Mono' of the militia, was a popular choice.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:45:48 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:53:16 PM »
Arlequin,

Great reply post - thanks. Much appreciated.
 ;)

Interestingly your post shows a picture of a Loyalist Guardia Civil. I seem to recall reading that the Guardia Civil preferred to de-indentify themselves to Republican elements even though they pledged their allegiance to the Government....due toi their pre war activities.

Your photo seems to show Guardia Civil in their 'classic' matador hat in a convivial setting with other Republicans.

Did the Guardia Civil change uniform in any way when fighting for the Republic before they were reorganised into the Republican National Guard?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
You're welcome.  :)

Semantics is the problem here, the Guardia Civil chose to de-identify with the 'Left', but almost half of them remained loyal to the 'Government'. They would wear ribbons in Republican colours, but I doubt we would see any wearing red. The elected government of March 1936 was far 'pinker' in its composition than it was later to become and of course the Anarchists had refused to take part in the electoral process in any case.

As far as I know, the Guardia wore its normal range of uniform in the first few months, but I gather that they shifted to a less 'antagonistic appearance' by abandoning their more emblematic items, like the 'Tricornio', in favour of other issue head wear (they had their own gorillo caps and other informal items).

Otherwise, unless they started assimilating with the Asaltos (who themselves weren't that popular with the Left) uniform-wise before the official amalgamation, I've never come across anything implying a change of uniform... which doesn't mean that it didn't happen, obviously.

I've amended my previous post btw, as there were some army units which did remain intact, despite being formally disbanded. Pictures of the besiegers of the Alcazar in Toledo, for example, show wholly uniformed army units amongst them.

:)   

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
Interesting.

So from a 'double duty' point of view it seems reasonable to use Guardia Civil in their 'Tricornio' (and Asaltos for that matter)  for both Republican and Nationalist forces in the opening months of the War of Columns - ignoring minor details of armbands of allegiance, etc.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Happy W

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
I wouldn't even go that far. Other than the initial fights for particular cities and towns, the Nationalists seem to have used the Guardia and Asaltos on their side, along with the mass of the Falange, as rear-security troops initially, securing outlying areas against 'subversives', they might face bands of isolated 'militia' at best.

The odds of both sides fielding Guardia or Asaltos against each other are minimal and Republicans are more likely to face off against Regulars, Moors, the Legion and those Falangistas unable to avoid being sent to the front.

A generic group of Guardia could be used for either side as appropriate, but having opposing groups, to field in the same game wouldn't be necessary imo.

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:40:51 PM »
The bulk of the hard fighting in the early conflict fell to the Militias and the loyalist army units on one side, and the Army of Africa on the other, especially on the road to Madrid. Following forces would mop up any remaining enemy troops, and hand out the summary justice, Falangist troops were quite good at this. Asaltos were used to help stiffen Militia units. As the fighting intensifies, and creeps towards Madrid, you start to see the fledgling units of the International Brigades making an appearance.
One of the big problems with all of this, is the fact that for a very long time the conflict was a taboo subject in Spain, following Franco's death a lot of archive material was destroyed, and the pact of forgetting pushed the war into the background. There is now a lot more source material coming out of Spain, with some very good reference books to be had, but there are still a few gaps.
Looking at the plethora of photographic images from the war, you coud be forgiven for thinking that anything goes, with regards to uniformity, that is certainly the case with the militia forces on either side, early on you would get an element of uniformity amongst the more militarised forces like La Legion, but as supply becomes more difficult, that would soon disappear.
There are a few good pics on this link, to help give you a few ideas
http://mundosgm.com/uniformes-y-regalia/uniformes-de-la-guerra-civil-espanola/
At some stage I hope to put up a website, covering gaming the SCW, included will be some guidelines around painting your figures, along with a few examples from the collection I have amassed over the last few years!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:48:48 PM by Durutti »