Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:29:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690506
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a little info please  (Read 2258 times)

Offline flail

• Schoolboy
Looking for a little info please
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:01:10 PM »
hello everyone I was just wondering if some people could answer a few questions I have about the game.

1) can it easily be converted to modern day?
2) are the bad guys just cultists most of the time?
3)how is balance I really don't like when I can just romp my opponent OR vice versa lol.
4) this applies to part 3. are my agents with m4s or aks going to just wipe the floor with melee monsters?
5) can you create your own monsters?

I think that's it for now if I think of anymore I will edit this post lol. Thank you to any and all who may answer.
 P.S I have been lurking on here a long time lol  >:D and all the miniatures and especially the game boards are absolutely ace, just jaw dropping. PLZ KEEP UP THE GREAT POSTS YOU GUYS    I   LOVE   THEM!

flail

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
Re: Looking for a little info please
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:13:21 PM »
Hello and welcome!

To answer your questions, considering my experience:

1) can it easily be converted to modern day?
That depends, I'd say yes. Thompson could easily be used as M4, it has shotguns, double barreled shotguns, even chainsaws, two types of pistols, rifles, dynamite (read grenade and you're good to go). You could easily play moderns without any addition to rules except for renaming them, but could also, say, add range to thompson gun and make it more like an assault rifle compared to submachine gun. Depends on variety you'd want.

2) are the bad guys just cultists most of the time?
Again, it depends. I don't have any cultists painted, so I rarely use them. You can pick among over 20 profiles, at least half of them are low points, so could be used instead of cultists. There are some scenarios where lurker (evil guy) has to have more models than good guy, and where all the lurkers must be humans, but not exactly cultists. There are rules for henchmen, who are humans, for example. Cultist could be called militia for your modern setting, its just a lowly motivated poor chap.

3)how is balance I really don't like when I can just romp my opponent OR vice versa Laugh.
That is just me, but I would say it depends, again. Game most certainly needs to be played a bit more in a story feel. I'd say any game can be broken, here you can pump your constitution sky high, so only really high level monsters can kill you, and same can be said for monsters, which would mean only high power weapons would be used. I really like the idea of dual pistols so when I play, we tend to use lower damage weapons to keep it diverse. If you want to get it broken, you can break it - but again, what I really, really love about this game is the feeling it gives, really fun.

4) this applies to part 3. are my agents with m4s or aks going to just wipe the floor with melee monsters?
No. Sure, you can mow down puny cultists, but tougher lurkers should find a way to get in close combat. Do keep in mind it is easy to get removed from table (but not actually die), so cover is really needed in this game. Playing board is only 3x2, so its easily filled. Obviously, if all your agents fire on 1 approaching monster, it has no chance, but, again, I've found avoiding melee quite hard.

5) can you create your own monsters?
And yet again, it depends :D. Profiles are very generic, say "flying nightmare", so you can use ANYTHING you want for it. I went as far as using wolves instead of raptors, woolly rhinos instead of triceratops etc. Each monster can be given 5 skills, which makes it a bit more specialized so you can kinda create your own monster, but there are no rules by which you could make a monster from a scratch. Nothing stops you from making something unique, giving it rough points cost and posting it here, so we can all play test it a bit.

I mean, I find it hard to answer your question - I came to this from Flames of War (not even 40k!) and I must say...It is a beautiful, beautiful world. This game is very simple in its core and you can make anything out of it, really, anything. I am most certain that I will  do sci-fi bug hunting and I am working on zombie apocalypse, while some other guys are thinking about playing it in dark ages. As for the monsters, I've just wrote in topic below, its more than 20 different profiles available, so in one way or another most of what you could think of is covered. Except vampires and mi-gos :D

Offline flail

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:22:07 AM »
Thank you very much for the information. Looks like I will be getting me the book now  :D.
Flail

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »
Mathyoo has covered all your questions pretty comprehensively there.

Do get the rules, they are very adaptable, one of the genres I will be using them for will be Star Wars, for example.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »
... I will be using them for will be Star Wars, for example.

Hmmm :?

Good idea that is, to copy that I will  ;)

Offline hummus

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
It would be quite easy to do a zombie mod like left 4 dead or resident evil too
One of the profiles is very similar to a vampire cant quite remember it at the moment though.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »
Hmmm :?

Good idea that is, to copy that I will  ;)

lol
I saw what you did there... ;)

It would be quite easy to do a zombie mod like left 4 dead or resident evil too

I did start work on that but the majority of my group preffered to play SA as it is.
The thread for that is here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=48675.0

smokezombie was the only one who was keen to do this.
I ended up changing the angle of the project and developed it into a Black Dossier instead.
It is part of my M.O.O.S.(E). thread on this board, and has almost concluded.

Offline gates_c

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I had written up a couple of pages of modern mods quite some time ago.  I never got them finished or did any playtesting with them.  At the time I was considering a Delta Green style setting/background.  However, now that I see a mention of modern rules I may have to dig them out and see what I actually came up with.