Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Biblical Flood!  (Read 6939 times)

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Re: Biblical Flood!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
Glad to hear that you and the missus are safe and dry Lidless!  Any idea when you will be allowed back ?  ??? 

Well, the new access zone that was just announced stops one block from my place.  Have a feeling they'll need to send a team in to assess the stability of the river bank behind the building before they can allow anyone that close to the river again.  So no idea about ETA, basically.  We'll see what the wife finds out - she'll be on the phone with the mayor shortly!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »
Good luck and stay safe.
And if you want to export some of that water, please send it here, we're in the firt heat wave of the year and parched.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »
I was evacuated Thursday afternoon, as I live right on the Elbow River, and am now holed up at my parent's place.  If you're checking out aerial photos and see what looks like a big white tent sitting in the middle of a lake, well, that's my backyard, basically.  Looks like the water crested just below my balcony (we have a photo some intrepid - or foolish - soul took from across the street), which means it reached about 4-5 feet deep on the ground, or about 10 feet above where the river level stood when I took a wander on Thursday morning.  The level has fallen substantially, but last I heard the street was still under water, and the neighbourhood has no power.  Can't imagine I'll be able to get back in before mid-week, and even then, there's no guarantee the building will be immediately habitable - consider that the unit beneath me likely had water almost up to the ceiling, so some remediation will undoubtedly be required.  I also hold out little hope for the survival of my garden plot (or allotment, for you British sorts!).

We packed pretty light heading out (all my miniatures and terrain remain behind, I'm afraid), but lest I lose all the precious files that make up Strange Aeons, I pulled the hard drive from my computer and brought it along.  Not that I can actually get anything from it at the moment, mind, so I rather suspect the next Arcane Relic release may be a bit delayed!

I wish you and everyone in Canada luck, we get floods al the time here in Florida. Odds are that building wil have to be redone it if flooded that badly, if anything to replace eletrical and mold. Plus instability of some of the foundation perhaps.

Also, NEVER abandon your models! Bad! Bad man! 8)
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »
Also, NEVER abandon your models! Bad! Bad man!

Dunno...in the case of a flood in particular, is it wise to shove 100+ pounds of lead in your bag while making your escape?

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »
Dunno...in the case of a flood in particular, is it wise to shove 100+ pounds of lead in your bag while making your escape?

Well, it depends on if you have to swim or not....besides, in case of emergency the storage cases can be used as a flotation device!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:26 PM »
Sorry to hear about your place Lidless. I was evacuated late Thursday too and our parkade is entirely full of water. Hopefully minial damage otherwise, but when I went to check it out, the stairwell inside heading down to the parkade was only an inch or two short of the ground floor. It's being pumped out, but no idea when we might get electricity back, or be allowed to return.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »
You'd better start closing portals. It is Canada, after all, so the odds rise exponentially of R'yl-eh rising from the depths there.
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »
I read about this over the weekend, and I was very worried as I have family in Calgary. Fortunately they live up on one of the hills, but still. I hope things get better for all of you up north. How bad did other areas get hit by flooding? My mom has friends who live north of Calgary in Markerville. Keep safe!

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »
I read about this over the weekend, and I was very worried as I have family in Calgary. Fortunately they live up on one of the hills, but still. I hope things get better for all of you up north. How bad did other areas get hit by flooding? My mom has friends who live north of Calgary in Markerville. Keep safe!
Most of the surrounding communities were hit hard as well.  High River is probably the worst (and the town name is pure coincidence)  :? But so were Okotoks and Canmore, communities west and south of Calgary.

Markerville is up near Red Deer (about 1.5 hours drive North) so while they have had high river levels as well, they don't appear to be in any immediate danger and are not under a state of emergency.

Good news is Calgary river levels are starting to drop and it looks like evacuations are being lifted.  The Downtown core is supposed to be open for business tomorrow.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
Good news is Calgary river levels are starting to drop and it looks like evacuations are being lifted.  The Downtown core is supposed to be open for business tomorrow.

Well, a good chunk of it, at least.  There are still some significant power problems in the area around City Hall, which is inconveniently enough where everyone in my family works!

Heading out shortly to survey the damage at our place.  It'll probably be quite a while yet before we can move back in, but at least I can see what's happened and grab a few more things.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »
Good luck lads, hope the recovery goes as well as it may.  :'(
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 02:46:04 AM »
Did the Sentry Box get caught in it? I thought it was near the river...
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 04:50:09 AM »
Did the Sentry Box get caught in it? I thought it was near the river...

Near, yes, but far enough inland and elevated that the area was unaffected.

Finally got home today, and our unit came through completely unscathed, though we're still without power.  Can't say the same for all the lower level units on the street though.  What with all the damaged furniture piled up to six feet high along the street, it was like walking through a war zone.  Very surreal experience... 

Still no clue when I'll get to actually move back in, even once the power is restored.  The boiler room, although now pumped out, was under 7 feet of water at one point, and will undoubtedly require some substantial replacement/repair.  We'll also have to wait for all the local services to come back online (particularly the grocery store), as we don't have a car and need to be able to acquire our necessities on foot (and there's no transit service at present either).  Knowing my luck, I'll get back in just in time to be kept awake for nearly two weeks by the Stampede...  >:(

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 05:55:42 AM »
I just found out that my work in the Core is on a must-come-only status, as most of our company based locally is helping to help pump out City Hall.  Looks like I get to "work from home" again today.   ;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »
Best of luck, guys.

Heres hoping that everything works out for all of you.