Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thrilling Fantasy NEW UPDATE 7/29  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Thrilling Fantasy NEW UPDATE 7/29
« on: June 23, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
It has been a long time since I have posted anything to the forum. Seems like the ast couple of years have really been too full of the every day stuff hat I have not been able to get to the fun stuff I enjoy. Anyway, my reason for posting is that I started work on a new set of Fantasy rules called Thrilling Fantasy. Right now, the combat and turn sequence mechanics are up for FREE download while I work on them and solicit feedback. If you are interested in trying them out, the link is below. You can email me your comments or share them over on our Facebook page.

Here is the Blog Post I wrote about them.

I know that all my updates have been about the Thrilling Adventure Card Game lately so it must appear to be the only thing I am working on. Well, apparently I was also working on a set of miniatures rules that I didn’t even know I was working on. It seems that in the back of my head, as I was working on the card game, I was unconsciously making the cards useful for a miniatures game. And last night, unable to sleep, I started putting it all down. And before I knew it, I had enough to put a Beta test for Thrilling Fantasy together. I am going to offer it as a FREE download while I work on it and I am hoping that people will download this quick play beta, give it a try and share their comments with me via email or posting over on our Facebook page.

The rules are very different from our original Broadsword Adventures rules. They utilize a d6 mechanic, cards, and the RPG elements are not as strong in it, though I am finding that as I work on the rules there are many places where RPG could easily be added. These rules should play faster than our other rule sets and should allow for quite a few miniatures on the board if you wish. There are a lot of concepts mentioned in the beta that don’t actually have rules yet (like spell casting). This first run at them is more for trying out the mechanics in combat and to make sure the dice and card mechanics work.

http://www.rattrapproductions.com/shop/thrilling-fantasy-miniatures-rules-beta/#tab-description
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:35:21 AM by Operator5 »
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: Thrilling Fantasy Alpha Test rules
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
Welcome back, and with good news too!

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:08:40 AM »
It's good to have you back with us.

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
downloaded.
Will have a look at them soon. Good to have you back.  :)
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »
Nice to be back. I feel like I have to learn who everyone is again.

I'll be posting a playtest report on these next week. Just conned a couple of victims into trying it out.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
Re: Thrilling Fantasy Alpha Test rules FIRST Playtest
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 04:35:37 AM »
The first playtest went better than I expected. I had 3 other players besides myself. All are experienced miniature gamers and 2 of them I just met at the game, so they had no preconceived notions of what to expect (though one person did say the game better be fun before we even started – so only a little pressure there). It took about 15 minutes to explain the rules and I had to refresh a couple of points throughout the game. Still, all the basic concepts were easily remembered and the players quickly took to the card activation system and the mechanics for combat. Each player had about 30 models and we played to just about conclusion in 2 hours.

Now, I had asked everyone to let me know the army they wanted to play so I had to make up some new rules on the fly as I had not expected someone would bring ghosts and another a flying unit. Yet, it felt like the mechanics leant themselves very easily to these things.

Soon the troops were on the move and the mayhem started. For the FIRST TIME EVER in a game I created, I drew first blood. It was only one lowly Black Guard but it still felt like a major victory to me.

Here you can see that the Dark Elf Black Guard went on to decimate my Ibyssian Lion Guard and my levy spearmen.

You can see the rest of the pictures from the game (only done with a camera phone so no great quality shots) in the gallery here: http://www.rattrapproductions.com/thrilling-fantasy-playtest/

Did I discover some flaws, yes. But they seemed minor and the fixes for them were fairly obvious. I am going to work on an updated version of the rules and add a few more things and hopefully have it available for upload in a week or two.

I also plan to have the next test of this be a standard dungeon crawl with each player getting just two models and having to survive all the horrors I throw at them! MUAH HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
Is that a giant photo on which you guys were playing? Cool.
Nice to hear about your experience. I haven't had the chance to look closer at the rules yet but as a fan of your other games I am really looking Forward to trying them out.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »
Nice to have you back, Rich!

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »
It's good to be back Prof. It's good to have the time again.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »
The latest version of the Thrilling playtest rules are now up on the website for download. The rules have been updated with some new dice mechanics and rules for spell casting, there are 6 new character/model types (3 goblins, skeletons, Necromancer, and a Giant Spider), and there are now 36 Skill, Equipment, and Spell cards. That's double the number from the first version.

I'm really hoping to get some more feedback so feel free to email me, post your comments here or join our Facebook page(https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rattrap-Productions/311822601938?ref=mf) and post your comments there. You can download the newest version of the rules at the link below.

http://www.rattrapproductions.com/shop/thrilling-fantasy-miniatures-rules-beta/#tab-description