Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:07:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SnS Final Touches - Help!  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
SnS Final Touches - Help!
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:05:08 AM »
Okay guys,

My SnS deck shows up tomorrow.  I've already revamped a number of things since ordering it.  I'm looking for a little help, as I want to revamp one or two more things which keep bugging me.  I judge my game elements by a simple "oh, heck yeah...I like that".  I've run into a couple of characters which don't really do it for me.  Wondering if you guys could throw out some ideas.

Each side in SnS has five proprietary characters which the other side cannot use (while the rest of the characters are "Neutral" and may join either side).

LAWMEN:

US Marshal (done)
Sheriff (done)
Texas Ranger (done)
Deputy (done)
Judge: ???  What special rules could a wayward gun totin' Judge benefit from?  What quirky elements might make him special?  I want him to affect campaign game results, but I need a function that can occur during a skirmish game to make him interesting.

OUTLAWS:
Thief (done)
Thug (done)
Bushwacker (done)
Bandit (done)
'Bad Man': ???  This is the leader of the Outlaws...and hopefully the most evil, brutal character in the game.  I've kicked around a bunch of different wicked abilities.  What do you think the most feared, scarred, evil Outlaw would do in a game?

These are the only two characters I'm struggling with out of 30 different characters you get in the game. Any ideas?  You guys don't need to know the game rules, just throw out general ideas...what "effect" these characters should have on the game or their opponents?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: SnS Final Touches - Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:29:57 AM »
I'd say the following might apply -

The Judge -  Ability to be partial/impartial.
                   Steadfast commitment to justice.
                   Tends to look the other way if his palm is greased.
                   Will be likely to acquit if the money is right.

The Bad Man -  Completely Sociopathic
                       Feels neither guilt nor remorse.
                       Has no loyalty friends nor family, only sees people as means to an end.
Really, for the "Bad Man", just watch "The Proposition", and model the charicterictics after Arthur Burns.

Nick

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:59:38 AM »
Good ideas, keep em comin'.  I'm off to the fabric shop and store to see if I can construct a mediocre set-up for some better photos for my rules...(suppose it would help if I had a decent camera...) lol

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »
Bad man: Unpredictable. Ruthless. Just as likely to shoot his own men for not doing what he wanted as he is to shoot the opposition. Never trusted by anyone, especially people on his own side.

Will shoot women, children or animals.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »
If you want good as good, I'd go for:

Judge: You could give him the ability to put a price on someone's head during the game, that can affect the Lawmen group after the game

And Bad is Bad:

Bad man: I think that Unpredictable and  Ruthless (Johnny Ringo from Tombstone fits this, and with the kill women and children, and priests) from Ray are spot on, perhaps add somthing like "aura of death" = giving opponents minus ranks when shooting at him/being shot at, but also means his own side have some adversity to him too or if caught killed by Lawmen they get an after game bonus. Or maybe "rule by fear": giving his group a bonus when active but when out of action they crumble and split....

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »
Good ideas.  My initial versions were (noticed after the fact...) too similar.

The Judge forced enemy characters to test Guts to shoot at him, and he would negatively impact outlaws which went out of action when playing against him.  I like the idea of him being a bit...greedy perhaps.  However I also like the idea of the overzealous justice fiend...

The "Bad Man" also forced enemy characters to make a Guts test before initially attacking him (I previously gave him a bonus to Shootouts, allowing him to cheat and shoot first).  I'll give it some more thought before editing them and adding them.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »
Perhaps you need two judges; a greedy one and an over zealous one! That gives you a "good" judge and a "bad" judge (perhaps dependent on your perspective).  :D
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 05:31:10 PM »
Hmm...that's an idea that I like.  Perhaps even roll at the beginning of the game...hmmm...

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
For the bad Guy I was thinking over-confidence/arrogance?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »
Yeah, the only issue I have with all of this is that the special rules need to be short, concise and fit on a character card.  It's just combining these into some short and simple that'll be tough.  I am still waiting on my final production cards to show up...they have shipped though.  I'll have pictures of exactly what you'll get in the order here shortly.

I'm thinking about the Bad Man never taking Guts tests or never succumbing to shock or something.  The Judge will sentence outlaw characters to death if they're captured (but perhaps you'll pay your way out).  However, if the Judge is taken out of action, this won't come into effect, so he'll actually have a target painted on his back...