Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:28:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New to 15mm Colonial Wargaming Need help with rules  (Read 1552 times)

Offline drownte

• Bookworm
New to 15mm Colonial Wargaming Need help with rules
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:24:05 PM »
So I have been playing with warhammer 40k for sometime and finally bit the bullet and moved to my true love of Colonial period wargaming with a purchase of Old Glory15 15mm Imperial Chinese Infantry. I have a deep love affair with China's post Taiping Rebellion Army up through the Boxer Rebellion. Upon their arrival I based them individually on pennies and I was going to buy movement trays from warbases to both game and display them once they're painted. But before I placed my order I realized I needed to see what rules I'm going to use.....and then I became confused. I've never done historical wargaming before so I don't know which rules work best for 15mm colonial wargaming. I've looked at TSATF and Din of Battle both but I haven't bought either yet. I plan to game the post Taiping era as aforementioned and I don't yet have an opponent so I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on here. Any is much welcomed, thank you!
P.S.
Most of my gaming experience is 40k so I apologize for my ignorance to "action decks" and Platoon vs Battalion gaming (though I do know the numerical unit size difference) and such, thanks for the help!

Offline drownte

• Bookworm
Re: New to 15mm Colonial Wargaming Need help with rules
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »
Okay done a bit more research and am starting to lean towards Din of Battle...... Thoughts?

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »
I'm sure I read a rather good AAR of a game using that somewhere. It might be my imagination. I'll have a dig and see if I can find it.

I'm also quite keen on finding a good set of Colonial rules for 15mm, inspired largely by the release of Blue Moon's line and in anticipation of their Boxer Rebellion range due at some point. I rather like rules by Peter Pig, and the latest incarnation of their Square Bashing set also has lists for the Boxer Rebellion, so it might be worth looking at, although I reckon you'd probably have to adapt them for earlier forces etc.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:31:50 PM »
We play quite a few RFCM sets from Peter Pig.
I know Square Bashing covers 1900- but don't think it would suit earlier periods without some work - so wouldn't recomend to a novice.
If you were going to go with an RFCM ruleset I'd probably look at Civil War Battles (American Civil War Rules) or Patrols in the Sudan.
I think CWB should be ok for Post Taiping, but who are going to be facing up to the Imperial army?

Drownte - where are you based?
If you are in the UK there are loads of wargames shows, might be worth checking one out and looking to see what's around.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline drownte

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:13:16 AM »
I am unfortunately located in the U.S. I've decided to try Din of Battle so we'll see how that goes thanks guys.