Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Making Use of Toy Starships  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Stern Rake Studio

• Bookworm
    • Stern Rake Studio
Ted

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Making Use of Toy Starships
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 06:20:58 AM »
While I despise the prequels, that is a good sized ship and would make for a really fun game on-board. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:18:39 AM »
Very cool, bet you have lots of fun converting that and using it in scenarios.  Oh, OK, playing with it (I would  lol).  Sadly the ones I've found online in the UK are a little expensive.

On the other hand, a lot of these old playsets are grist to our mill... the Naboo Hangar looks useful too!

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »
I'd argue that it actually is much closer to being the right size for you 34mm figures than it is for the toy action figures it's made for. Action figure vehicles tend to be even more severely downscaled than gaming vehicles, and the Queen's ship was IIRC a proper yacht in size. Been a long time since I've seen the film, but I have the "Art of Episode 1" book, and if the concept art is even half accurate, that toy is actually a decent "close enough" size for your 34mm figures.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »
That looks stunning. It's not bad as-is, but I was just drooling over the conversion opportunities.  Most games normally don't have use for a ship that big, but that interior creates so many more uses.  Suddenly it goes from being a nice looking backdrop to a location for an entire series of encounters.

I didn't know such a think exists and I'll probably never find one, but it's one more thing to keep a look out for at the resale shops.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:22:57 PM »
Worth watching charity shops, carboot sales (yard sales in the US?) etc.

Alasdair found a bag of "old plastic toys to be recycled with the plastic rubbish" in a charity shop, including some kind of robot dog or dinosaur. Too dirty to put on sale (said the shop staff). The "robot dog" was an AT-AT. THe other dirty plastic included a Mil.Falcon, an AT-ST, Slave I, Rebel Transport, Snowspeeder, plus what seemed like most of the 3" Star Wars figure range. Alasdair pointed out the error to the shop staff, but I doubt that it will be their last one.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:58:20 AM »
Worth watching charity shops, carboot sales (yard sales in the US?) etc.

Alasdair found a bag of "old plastic toys to be recycled with the plastic rubbish" in a charity shop, including some kind of robot dog or dinosaur. Too dirty to put on sale (said the shop staff). The "robot dog" was an AT-AT. THe other dirty plastic included a Mil.Falcon, an AT-ST, Slave I, Rebel Transport, Snowspeeder, plus what seemed like most of the 3" Star Wars figure range. Alasdair pointed out the error to the shop staff, but I doubt that it will be their last one.

What kind of charity shops do you have over there that would throw out such things?!?!
At least that batch of toys were saved.

Around here most everything gets sold.  If a toy is broken or missing pieces, it gets a low price and hits the shelves. This is true even at "Goodwill" one of the cleanest and most professional chains of resale shops here in the states. Hence why nearly all my terrain is made of old toys.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
Happens even here; and, they're pretty ruthless about 'it had its chance on the floor, we even gave it an extra two weeks at half price, now it dies...'

And, I've got a basement full of the 'half price' to prove it.  lol

Doug

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 06:33:10 PM »
These didn't even get a chance for the shelves - these were rejected to hard plastic re-cycling just because they were old toys that looked grubby!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:35:13 AM »
The truth is I don't usually see what US resale shops throw out. 

Who knows what might be going in the bin? Oh, the horror!
 :o

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
These didn't even get a chance for the shelves - these were rejected to hard plastic re-cycling just because they were old toys that looked grubby!

No, no, I got that, and understand what you're saying. If only they could see with our eyes. Wait, scratch that; they'd price accordingly.  ;)

However, over the years, I've been just as horrified as to what has made it to the toy area. Lawn darts, long after deaths were acknowledged, and hand mazes with mercury 'runners'.

Doug (the hatter)

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »
Good find.  My sons had this ship and my wife got rid of it in a yard sale.  :-[
This is my boomstick!