Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hadley's Hope Redux (photo heavy)  (Read 25618 times)

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
Re: Hadley's Hope Redux (photo heavy)
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
@Braz.  Thanks for the tutorial. That was great. You are really making me reconsider using styrene.

Sorry to repeat the question, in your many pics I noticed a grating floor that is baffling me on how you made it.
They look the most like in the movie with the long square bars and crossbars every 2 or 3 feet. How you do that bro?

No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »
@Braz.  Thanks for the tutorial. That was great. You are really making me reconsider using styrene.

Sorry to repeat the question, in your many pics I noticed a grating floor that is baffling me on how you made it.
They look the most like in the movie with the long square bars and crossbars every 2 or 3 feet. How you do that bro?

Not the same process he details with the 'hexagon', but with out the 60 degree cuts? I thought he just put the mesh down for the whole area that had them, and added runners to break up into panels.

Doug

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »
Just followed the tutorial on the previous page - excellent!  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »
Thanks all for the comments
@Miniman.
As Doug indicated regarding the grating floor, it is as described in the tutorial (part one) photos 2 to 5 (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55415.msg661898#msg661898) but for straight corridor vs a hexagon shape. I called it the "corridor deck" instead of the grating floor. My bad for that. It's window screening mesh used to keep insects out (the plastic variety), cardboard from a cereal box (Rice Krispies I believe but whatever cereal you prefer  ;D) cut out to make the bars and crossbars and some glue. That's it. I spray painted it black, painted the bars and crossbars with Folk Art Gun Metal craft paint and dry brushed the mesh with the same colour. It's that simple and inexpensive too.

One thing to note, I use a ball point pen and ruler sometimes to draw in the separation between the floor grates when there are multiple grates on an individual 5x5 tile. By pressing hard enough it scores the cardboard and gives the illusion of the gap between grates instead of cutting and fitting each one individually and looks better. I just make a double width cross bar in that case before scoring and cutting it out.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »
@Braz As said elsewhere, used the same mesh, but painted gray, and laid over black board. I was going for the piercings to be dark below..

As for ball point for lines AND relief, did that with a few small balsa space ships I built up. The gray one was 'meh', but the red one was impressive.

Technique can vary greatly in effect, but worthy to keep in mind.

Your work does put my simple, small board to shame, but I'm not complaining. Build on!

Doug

Offline Miniman

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »
I know about the screen for windows and have already used it on my Queens base. It works well especially when you dry brush it with a light grey, take a look at her.

I was talking about this type of steel grating.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:27:47 PM by Miniman »

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
Oh that grating!
It's just a printed texture. Simple but effective too.

PM me and I'll send you the file if you like.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »
Tutorial (part 3)

Here is the jig I use to glue the corridor ledges. First with a few daps of superglue to hold the piece in place, then with pva underneath, applied here with a bamboo skewer to reach in the difficult spots. Jigs are immensely useful, ensure consistency, and are like a third hand.

I glue a piece of scrap craft stick under each corridor ledge. The wide craft stick used is thin and flexible and adding this makes them really strong. I hold them in place using my third, fourth and fifth hands while it dries.

Oops forgot to upload the picture of the completed piece prior to painting...will add later.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:03:46 PM by Braz »

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
More tiles.

Here is my back log of tiles to make. These are "nice to have" tiles so there is no rush to complete them. I will finish off the tiles I have primed already with the possible exception of the 10x10 office complex tile. I also have a stack of pre-cut tile blanks in case I need something specific (seen at the top).

Here are the narrow corridor tiles in progress. The walls are deliberately low for ease of access and to allow minis to fit. Still debating some of the embellishments for these. The blank areas outside the corridors themselves will be duct works, machinery and such. I will have a few drop-in scenery pieces that will fit there.

Some of the tiles will have drop-ins that change the type of tile. In this case a X section tile to an L corner tile or a door frame insert. More variability without making extra tiles.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:08:22 PM by Braz »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
This is a stunning, innovative and inspiring thread that I really glad that I finally caught on to.
 8) 8) 8)

Looking for ward to following your progress.
 :-*

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
I am so glad you got going again Braz, this tutorial is great, and your original thread was the one that finally pushed me into starting my own Aliens project.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback. Criticisms welcome too. Glad to be back at it.
@Anpu Really love your aliens project also...especially the vehicles. Very nice.

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 11:31:37 PM »
Praise Be To Apis!

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 02:11:41 AM »
Never been Keanu'd before. Thanks.

Here are the first finished sections. Just awaiting a bottle of wash to arrive for the final grimy touch. Still need to make two door inserts. The room is washed out in the photo. My lousy photography. Just a plain white room.

Had a bit of a mishap priming the next sections. Used an old spraycan without testing. DOH! Instead of drying completely in an hour, it's taking forever to eliminate the sticky to the touch feeling. I will give it all week to fully dry. Luckily we are having a hot and dry spell. Working on some pulp scenery in the meantime.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:16:40 PM by Braz »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 04:29:52 AM »
This "needs" to be played in low light with flashing yellow LEDs etc... lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!