Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:55:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN & The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Mingans Marauders

• Bookworm
Re: IHMN & The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »
Funny enough I just re-watched this last night and had the idea to do them up for IHMN. Even started thinking of which models to use for whom.

So far I've come up with:
Malifaux Seamus Avatar for Hyde (Heck, he even has the tophat!)
Hasslefree Not Kate Beckensale from Underworld for Mina(I forget the figures name)
One of the black scorpion cowboys for Tom
A empty base for the invisible man

I'm still working on figuring out the rest.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »
@ Eisenfaust - I too would switch the "Leadership" talent from Quatermain to Mina,  :)

I've now had a good look at this roster, and most of it I'd use, just tweak it more to my taste to reflect the graphic novel version of the League. Craig has saved me lots of work. Always easier to adjust, rather than start from scratch,  lol

A bit confused by this, from the Hyde entry though "He always charges the nearest enemy, he cannot choose his targets (+20 points).". Does this mean Hyde has the option to pay 20 points to be able to choose his target when he's rampaging?
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »
Absolutely correct Elprez  :D

No fear; I just would rather see the variety of takes on this...

... Always easier to adjust, rather than start from scratch,  lol ...

Point proved.  :D

I will point out my mate, Sir Randall, has decided to go with Nemo as the leader of his own company; he DOES have a crew. Don't know if he's come up with an Ishmael, though.

My Hyde will still be a modified Black Dragon Tong Yeti; when with the Tong, obviously, clumsily trying to be passed as human.  ;) Seamus is just TOO expensive, even with my store discount.

As for Hawley, there are a number of floating hooded cloaks as ghost/spirits around. Any disembodied dusters? Upturned collar with floating wide-brimmed hat is TOO much to hope for... lol

Concerning pre-movie media, I've only seen a little, and Mina wasn't 'in charge'; didn't seem much leadership at all. Quartermain was mostly 'just there'. But, as said, from a very limited tasting.

Doug

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
I concur with Elprez too. I much prefer the version from Moore and O'Neill's graphic novel, and that's what I'll try and write up. But I do think Craig's Jekyll/Hyde solution is elegant.

I was most offended by the movie version putting Quatermain in the leadership role when, in the comic, it was Mina Murray who was the leader. A human divorcee who is a SURVIVOR, so strong that she even stares down Hyde and wins his love and loyalty.

Stephen Norrington (the Director) is purportedly kinda sexist (if not misogynistic), PLUS the Movie isn't straight LXG either - it's actually another script with similar characters that's been  "re-skinned" as LXG - in 2003 Larry Cohen and Martin Poll filed a lawsuit against Fox, citing that the company had plagiarized their script "Cast of Characters". The lawsuit alleged "that Mr Cohen and Mr Poll pitched the idea to Fox several times between 1993 and 1996, under the Title "Cast of Characters" - and that Fox had only bought the rights to the comics series "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" as a smoke screen to win their Law Suit - which would explain the differences.

Other factors came into play with the Movie changes - the character "The Invisible Man" was changed to "An Invisible Man" since Fox was unable to obtain the rights to the titular character of H. G. Wells' The Invisible Man, and his real name was changed from Hawley Griffin to Rodney Skinner. A Fu Manchu character was also dropped from the script - which is a shame IMHO. At Fox's request, the character of Tom Sawyer was added for American audiences and to give the movie some "youth appeal" - I personally don't think Sawyer "detracts" - in fact I love the scene where Quatermain is teaching Sawyer how to shoot properly - and had their been I sequel, I would have liked to see their relationship develop.

O'Neill, the illustrator of the comics, has stated that he believed the film failed because it was not respectful of the source material - that he did not recognize the characters when reading the screenplay (which further lends credence to the "stolen script" idea) and also confirmed that Norrington and Connery did not "get on well". Lastly, O'Neill insists that the comic version of Quatermain was a lot better than the movie version and that marginalizing Mina Murray as just a vampire "changed the whole balance" - even though I found her to be strong and appealing personally.

Connery apparently DID NOT get on at all with the Director at all (which struck me as odd, as Connery seems fairly easy going when you see him interviewed). Norrington, who doesn't like Studio Bosses, big Crews, or Crowds refused to attend the LXG opening party, when Connery was asked where Norrington was, he supposedly replied, "Check the local asylum" (you can hear Connery saying that I think LoL).

I loved the Movie and the Comics, and would personally rather see something "new" than a re-hash of something I had already read.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 07:44:37 PM »
JUST re-read what the Talent means - so yes, that being said Immortal and Impervious don't really do Dorian Gray's regenerative qualities justice ;)

As a guilty enjoy-er of the movie, I've had ideas floating around myself. Dorian Gray was actually a great addition for the film version (as was the Robur-inspired villain.)

I was thinking something along these lines for stats:

Dorian Gray
Pluck 2+ FV 3+  SV 2+
Sword, Lined Coat
Duellist (sword,) Erudite Wit, Fanatic, Tough
47 points

(And add Immortal if playing him campaign-style. Otherwise it's ten points you can leave off.)

Really, there's more abilities you can pile on (Antivenom, Berserk, Fearless.) But I think the above is a pretty scary fig for a reasonable price, and one not easily dropped without effort.

Hoping to pick up a good fig for him at Historicon next month. Fingers crossed.
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
Great Ideas, I've been playing myself!

Just waiting for my EotD Requiem stuff :D

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 06:12:45 AM »
A bit confused by this, from the Hyde entry though "He always charges the nearest enemy, he cannot choose his targets (+20 points).". Does this mean Hyde has the option to pay 20 points to be able to choose his target when he's rampaging?

Sorry, Transmogrification is 20 points.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
1,200 downloads in under 48 hours is quite awesome gentlemen, quite awesome indeed  :D

Looks like I should release a few other companies.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »
Looks like there's another version of LoEG on the way:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/07/league-extraordinary-gentlemen-tv/