Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:55:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689838
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Waterloo Hanoverians - Question  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
Waterloo Hanoverians - Question
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
I'm currently painting the 5th British Division for Waterloo and am somewhat confused by the Hanoverians. I found a few bits and pieces regarding their uniforms (although any more online sources are appreciated!) but am struggling with their flags. I am hoping someone can tell me how many flags each battalion carried and their designs. Bonus points will be awarded for whoever can tell me of someone who supplies them in 15mm!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:29:45 PM by Wilkins »

Offline julesav

• Scientist
Re: Waterloo Hanoverians - Question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
Now there's a question and a half!

I think that Hanoverian flags are one of the great mysteries of the 'Hundred Days' campaign. One of the best sources I've ever found is here:

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/index.php

The individual unit plates have 'tabs' that will show flag info if there is any for the unit. You probably need a little knowledge of French or to cut and past the text into Babelfish (or whatever online translator you prefer) to make the most of the info!

Cheers

Jules
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
I bought flags for these same units from GMB.

I struggled to find details which confirmed any specific design and so bought some. Great flags but slightly larger than Perry flagpoles, so you might need to shrink them (as I did for some) or cut a slit up the pole end and "ruffle" the flag over the bearers hand (as recommended by the Perry's in an email to me).

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
That's really useful information on the uniforms Julesav. Nice to see some pictures as well. (Google translate helped with the text...)

Unfortunately GMB don't do the flags in 15mm which is a pain so I'm still looking. Did each battalion carry one or two flags? Obviously most British units carried regimental and kings colours, was this the same for the Hanoverians? Trying to work out how many bags of command I need to buy!

Thanks again

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 05:48:08 PM »
My suggestion would be to look at Hanoverian 'flag policy' from Seven Years War and extrapolate from that! Military flag use tends to follow very 'conservative' lines! A lot of the Hanoverian units are the Germanic equivalent of French 'regiments de marche' so they are units 'cobbled together' from others for the Hundred Days - therefore with or possibly without, flags.

An alternative option would be to use 'cased colours' - the flag is wrapped around flagpole and sheathed in a protective cloth cover. The downside of this is that the unit appears to have a dull coloured sausage or kebab in place of a pretty flag!

I believe that several British units did not carry their flags on the field at Waterloo even though they had them in Belgium! I also have read that several British units felt that the fight was so desperate that they retired their colours to prevent their possible loss!

Good luck!

Cheers

Jules

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
I've got one flag per unit. You could scale down the gmb flags. On the other hand how with 7yw because
1) no NE knows for sure and 2) they look different enough to help you distinguish them from Brits.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
If you do but the GMB flags, you could always scale them down.

I use GMB for my Naps in 28mm and they are excellent.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline von Cyrillus

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:05:48 AM »