Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Improving a boring grass mat?  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Improving a boring grass mat?
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:35:56 PM »
I got a GW cloth backed grass mat in the past few months - I really like it as far as quality is concerned, it should last for ever, but it does look a little too uniform and well manicured.  Even with lots or terrain on it, it can appear boring and unrealistic.

Does any one have any tips, examples, or pictures of a painted one, or one with added flock, etc.  Basically anything that takes it to the 'next level'?  I'd like to tart it up a bit, but am hesitant to dive straight in without some advice.

Cheers!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Re: Improving a boring grass mat?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:50:11 PM »
Back in the day I used to work in a GW store (I won't say when, as someone will work out how bloody old I am), and we used to use those mats to cover our Warhammer tables. When they wore down, it became almost like a re-upholstering rather than terrain building.

So, two tips: First up, find some brown spray paint. We used to use Bestial Brown when it existed, but army painter probably do something similar (or use an airbrush). Spray the grass very lightly, short bursts, and not uniform. Some bits can be more brown than others, some bits can be not touched at all.

When it's all completely dry, employ tip no. 2: Get a large brush, and some bone-coloured paint, and very lightly drybrush the whole thing. Make sure there's barely any pigment left on the brush when you start. You aren't really aiming to 'highlight' the grass (that'd be weird), but rather to take the shine off by matting it down.

That's it - worked a treat!

M

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
Glue some different flocks into it, pour some pebbles on to it when game time approaches. Subtle variations in colour and texture go a long way imho.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:39:27 AM »
What I did was use a variety of spraypaints to create more interest. Mostly browns, yellows, blacks and greys. I misted those over the surface, taking care to not aim directly at the surface when spraying close to the surface.

I mounted my mat on a wooden board, and to facilitate the painting, I stood the boards up against the wall, which helped both in making it easier to reach the whole surface and also because I could easily step back to judge the results from a distance.

Also, I did this whole thing outside, which helps avoiding domestic disputes... ;)

As some extra detail, I added some craters too. Well; the impression (sic) of craters anyway :D I took a dark brown and black spray can and here I did spray close and concentrated on one area. First with the black, then with the brown. I then applied some white glue in a rough circle around the spot and sprinkled sand on top. When dry, I misted the whole 'crater' with a sand/pale yellow colour again, to blend the whole thing together, and I was pretty happy with the result. From an agnle it actually looks like a small impact crater, but it's still completely flat, so your units can move over it without being impeded.

I seem to have taken the pictures of it off line (it's been a few years since I proudly posted my attempt) but I'll see about adding some pics to this post when I get home tonight...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
Thanks for the input guys - seems spraypaint and drybrushing should do the trick then... I'm hoping to get a little time free over the holiday weekend, so should be able to get this project started at the very least.

I will most certainly be doing this outside, or the missus wold murder me!  lol

Any pictures would help Daeothar, looking forward to seeing them.

Offline lordbert

• Bookworm
    • Lord Bert's
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 05:57:04 PM »
I seem to have taken the pictures of it off line (it's been a few years since I proudly posted my attempt) but I'll see about adding some pics to this post when I get home tonight...

Really keen to see what this would look like, I'm intrigued.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:53:36 PM »
Real quick, so I can finally get to bed, here are some pictures like I promised. I'll elaborate later, if there are any questions :)

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 03:02:20 AM »
Wow, that looks great.  Is it all flat enough to put terrain on?  If so, you've achieved an excellent illusion of depth.

Any tips or techniques you used would be much appreciated  :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 06:50:03 AM »
Actually, the entire surface is completely flat, bar some small glued down pebbles around the dried riverbed (that's what I call it, and I'm sticking with it :D ). Buildings and other types of terrain can be placed right over the features and none of them impede movement.

Here's the original thread, sadly with the pictures missing like I said. I will have to fix that sometime soon. But with some of the pictures I posted in this thread, you should still be able to get a good idea of the thing, as there is an extensive step by step of the creation process:

linkediclick

I hope that helps :)

Online Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
Great idea guess what I am doing this weekend?

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 06:53:55 PM »
Many thanks for that Daeothar, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.  If I can get a result that looks something like yours, I will be very happy!