Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:58:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scavenge, Skirmish, Survive building kits  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Scavenge, Skirmish, Survive building kits
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »
I was recently asked by the brains behind SSS (Silent Invader - Steve) if I would take a look at his new plasticard vacuum formed cladding kits he has developed for SSS. I of course said yes, not (just) because I am cheap and couldn't pass up on something for free, but because I genuinely like the premise and direction of SSS and like terrain building! I received a small box in the post with the same commitment to brown parcel tape I got with my figures! In that box was a series of black plasticard sections with the facades centrally placed. My first impression was that the detail was pretty soft and that it wasn't too obvious where to cut them out. I received my PDF instructions and templates for the foam board that is used to construct the main structure, which the facades are then glued to. The instructions are very well done and are a step above pretty much any other kit I've done before. I assembled the foam board base using my new Xacto knife and Xacto foam board cutter that does 45° angles (other brands are available!). The ability to cut a neat line at 45° comes in very handy for the roof sections. I then cut up some balsa to floor the property and some coffee stirrers for joists. The interior cladding was next and my first go with the vacuum formed plasticard reliefs. I did most of it with basic measuring and the rest by eye. This is where I realised the benefit of the way the plasticard facades were set out. They are easy to cut and very forgiving of hasty measurements; they also instantly transformed the inside from a box to a room. The only bit I had bother with was the stairs but I resolved this in my own hamfisted way by separating the bottom floor into two pieces. The exterior assembled easily with just the overnight gluing holding things up as I did this over three nights (sides the front, the roof). The plasticard offcuts are great for adding extra bits, which I did to the rear of the building, pretty much on a whim. The current state of play prior to a bit of filling is shown below. All in all I liked this kit very much and enjoyed the customisation potential. These buildings would be great for a range of periods from Victorian through WWII to modern and post-apoc.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:06:30 AM by Elk101 »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Scavenge, Skirmish, Survive building kits
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:53:03 PM »
Sorry for the sideways photos. I'll sort them tomorrow on the laptop instead of this bloody phone!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:06:55 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:26:28 PM »
Brilliant.
I think the vacuum formed details are such a clever addition to the foamcore 'core'. These should be very popular kits.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »
Is there a link to the product?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 05:50:15 AM »
Hi Grant. It's not on sale yet as it's still being tested (by crash test dummies such as myself). It will appear on the Miniature Mojo site here:

http://www.miniaturemojo.co.uk/docs/16/vacuum-form_buildings/

I should point out that I have no financial or other interest in the company, I just happen to have commented on some early work and was asked if I would test it out. It's the community nature of our hobby and this forum, I guess!

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 07:37:33 AM »
I have a (very) vague recollection of a mate of mine using something like this on a model railway in the early 80's. I thought it was a great idea then and I still think so now. I will keep an eye on this!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
They look very good.  I will definitely be buying some when they become available.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
Thanks Steve (Elk101) for trying these out.  :)

Nice result you got there, I especially like the addition of the rear wall.

The point Steve makes about soft detail is an important one.  It's a feature of these vacuum forms as they are sucked onto rather than cast into a mould, meaning that a 90 degree inner corner has a radius to it.

I undercoated mine with domestic emulsion, which was very good at grabbing the Vallejo paint that I subsequently dry brushed with, thus bringing out the detail.  It'll be interesting to hear how Steve's paint up (go on Steve, you know you want to!   lol)

Steve aka Silent Invader aka miniatureMOJO aka Scavenge Skirmish Survive  ;)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)