Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Manufacturers of 28mm Cold War Vehicles and Equipment.  (Read 61795 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Manufacturers of 28mm Cold War Vehicles and Equipment.
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
Tiny Terrain Models have just announced that they'll be doing a Soviet T-62 in 1.50th scale as a follow on from their War in Chechnya Kickstarter. Without any ERA for ease of use in multiple periods.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:31:33 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2018, 08:34:17 PM »
Spectre Miniatures will be releasing a BMP-1 at some point in the future. Removable track guards are a definite plus, and the detail's so far the best I've seen for this vehicle in this scale (1/50th).

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2018, 09:59:57 AM »
If that comes with sideskirts then I might just replace my existing Blitzkrieg BMPs. I do wish someone would do a BMP-2D.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2018, 11:17:36 AM »
I had a go at a pair of BMP-2Ds made out of Empress's BMP-2s. Just plasticard really.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2018, 12:04:23 AM »
Tiny Terrain Models have released the renders for their 1/50th scale T-62. I foresee a lot of potential for this one with both Cold War and later Middle Eastern conflicts. ...Assuming its reasonably priced. I may have to shelf an idea I have for a spare T-72 and go ahead and use this for it instead. :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2018, 08:45:35 AM »
It will need to be competitively priced, there’s a rather nice 1/48 one available from Gasoline/Quarter Kit.

http://www.phpshopxml.com/quakit.shop/CID/879e40a1c9a5c9739d40ccac1ac2e661/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/GAS50087K

Here’s one being super detailed that gives you a good look at the kit itself:

https://peterhamann.com/2014/03/29/more-148-scale-t-62-fun/

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2019, 06:27:42 PM »
I'd seen that T-62 before when looking for kits. However, for wargaming I just can't justify the price of those models which are made for display. For the price of Gasoline's kits you can near enough buy two of Empress'. Of course there's more detail to the display pieces (and if you look to Tank-Mania's T-55 there's even more detail ...for it coming out at nearly 3 times the price of an Empress tank), but its wasted on wargamers I think.

We'll have to see how the Tiny Terrain Models T-62 is priced. If its edging the £30-40 pound mark then a more direct comparison with Gasoline's may be necessary. However if its sub £30, then there'd be no question for what wargamers would buy. Hopefully things go well with Tiny Terrain Models, as I'd like to see them cover more Soviet vehicles which aren't produced at a competitive price (or at all) in this scale, though I may be a bit over confident in that. We'll have to see.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2019, 01:38:37 AM »
I have a number of Gasoline’s kits. Things like etched brass side mirrors and the like aside, I’ve found them to be reasonably robust and you can always leave off some of the more fragile bits or replace them with sturdier items. IMO they are every bit as sturdy as the average plastic kit and really not much less so than the dedicated, resin, wargaming models.

The T-62 appears to be in this category and it’s even got a turned barrel, no bendy barrels. If they would just do the BDD upgrade with the brow armour, I’d buy one in the twinkling of an eye. I reckon I’d replace the AAMG cos resin machine guns are fragile but beyond that.....

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2019, 12:59:04 AM »
Gasoline's resin looks robust enough from that site you linked. Nothing like what Tank-Marnia uses (the tracks on their kits are so brittle I broke a load of mine just taking them - carefully - off their sprues). And yes, you do get a load of little etched brass details too which are nice.

However I just feel as though that level of detail's lost on wargamers. Both as our existing collections are typically of lesser quality, and that with the amount of handling that the models go through those spindly little pieces wind up being torn off regardless. Comparing my models against 1/48th scale kits which are for display shows off this, with for instance the bar armour on mine being much thicker than both those models and the real ones for the sake of the thing's not snapping off in every other game.

Yes though, Gasoline's kit seems respectable, its spoiling us a bit. If it were the only option I'd maybe treat myself and buy one eventually, but in my wargamer mind that's just funds which could go elsewhere. Hopefully Tiny Terrain Models' T-62 isn't a fiasco when it comes out, as it looks like its going to have enough detail to be a cut above some of the hand made kits we already have, though of course ideally also cheap enough that the lack of etched brass and a turned metal barrel don't seem that much of a loss (especially if we can afford one of their tanks and maybe a set or two of figures as well to go with it, compared to just one Gasoline tank).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2019, 09:56:13 PM »
Might be worth a look. A company which primarily makes 1/56th scale 3D printed models. Their Cold War section isn't massive, but I notice that there's a T-54 in there which can come in 1/48th scale.

Further investigation may be required on the amount of finishing required for their unfinished prints - as they're substantially discounted from the already fairly cheap prices.

https://thetankfactory.uk/

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2019, 02:09:13 AM »
Thanks for the link, I will look at their Centurion for Aussies in Vietnam.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »
If you want an Aussie Centurion you’d be better off looking at the JTFM version, sculpted by LAF’s own Richard Humble. More expensive but comes with all the necessary bits and won’t require you to spend all that time dremelling off the glacis bins, spare tracks etc.

Those do look quite good and the price point is lovely. Might wait to see some painted versions or better resolution shots of them.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2019, 05:37:00 PM »
I wouldn't be suggesting that site for any vehicles which there's a resin alternative of. The detail on these aren't great (look at the wheels on the German Puma), but if they're your only option then they may be worth the work. Their WWI section for example has a few late-war prototype tanks which I've not seen for sale elsewhere.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2019, 07:45:17 PM »
My mate Vodkafan has, at my request, been buying Dinky military stuff.
This is part of my desire to play again with the toys of my youth (long, long ago),
and part to do a 1960s wargame with British troops.
I will, hopefully, post some pictures soon. This will show them after he has
worked his magic

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »
I wouldn't be suggesting that site for any vehicles which there's a resin alternative of. The detail on these aren't great (look at the wheels on the German Puma), but if they're your only option then they may be worth the work. Their WWI section for example has a few late-war prototype tanks which I've not seen for sale elsewhere.

I have some Tank Factory vehicles and was pleased with them.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt