Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:16:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chain Reaction: Battle at the Mine  (Read 7283 times)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: Chain Reaction: Battle at the Mine
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »
Momotaro good looking game and terrain, the game looked like it was fun. Would you happen to know the supplier or manufacturer of the token markers you used ( Stunned, Dead etc ).
Regards Marauderman.

They're made by Litko.  The two sets I picked up were the Action and Status tokens.  

http://www.litko.net/categories/Shop-By-Compatible-Game-System/Two-Hour-Wargames/

Laser-etched on acrylic - you may find someone closer to home will also do them for you as a custom job.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:29:20 PM by Momotaro »

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
Great looking game and table. I love your terrain.  :-*
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
Nice report! Good looking terrain and I really like your zombie miners.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »
Another 'Nice table/Great Bat Rep' from me.

(and thanks for reminding me about my unpainted Sedition Wars figs)  lol

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »
"... 26°C/79°F..."

That is hot... for December to February...

lol

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »
Seriously, that was a great set of AARs/Bat Reps which showed THW gaming at it's best.

Awesome terrain - oh, I don't look good in "green" but I am jealous - great table!

Excellent figures!

No matter how bizare/bad work gets today i will have these images to get me through to departure and meeting some gaming friends.  I love these kind of threads!

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 03:11:57 PM »
The problem I found with the THW games is that they are almost all identical, just reskinned.   Moreover the games are SOOOO dry with tables that you could choke.  The few games I've played have felt like I'm not really 'playing' a game, I'm just following the dice rolls with minimal input.  I think this system goes too far in that direction.

But good bat rep!

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
Blimey, bit of a thread necro Witchfinder.  But thank you - it was a fun day's gaming!

Glenn, coming from Scotland, every summer I have spent in England feels like a tropical holiday!  Even my English gaming buddy Gibby was too hot that day though.

Dentatus - get them painted!  They're not difficult... the strain take washes in a mix of bizarre colours really well.

TBC - we found the final version of the Chain Reaction rules pretty good - they're streamlined compared to older rules sets, so you tend to get resolution on the reaction tables very quickly.  And a fair bit easier to remember.

I likethe feeling of leading a squad rather than controlling their movements perfectly, much like the Too Fat Lardies rules - the "dryness" of the rules goes a bit when you need your SAW gunner to lay down some fire, but first someone needs to get to him and give him a a shake because he's gone to ground...

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 09:42:56 PM »
Blimey, bit of a thread necro Witchfinder.  But thank you - it was a fun day's gaming!

Glenn, coming from Scotland, every summer I have spent in England feels like a tropical holiday!  Even my English gaming buddy Gibby was too hot that day though.

Dentatus - get them painted!  They're not difficult... the strain take washes in a mix of bizarre colours really well.

TBC - we found the final version of the Chain Reaction rules pretty good - they're streamlined compared to older rules sets, so you tend to get resolution on the reaction tables very quickly.  And a fair bit easier to remember.

I likethe feeling of leading a squad rather than controlling their movements perfectly, much like the Too Fat Lardies rules - the "dryness" of the rules goes a bit when you need your SAW gunner to lay down some fire, but first someone needs to get to him and give him a a shake because he's gone to ground...

Cheers for the feedback! I do like the TFL COC rules as I thought they struck a good balance of control/loss of control

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 01:59:52 AM »
Great terrain!  I find the THW rules easy to learn.  The basic tables are simple and easy to commit to memory.  You still have to look up reinforcement rolls but that doesn't happen very often!  With each of the supplements, there's lots of flavor for whatever you're in to.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
The problem I found with the THW games is that they are almost all identical, just reskinned.   Moreover the games are SOOOO dry with tables that you could choke.  The few games I've played have felt like I'm not really 'playing' a game, I'm just following the dice rolls with minimal input.  I think this system goes too far in that direction.

But good bat rep!

Really?  Lack of flavor?   ???

Okay, we disagree on THW rules but agree on the great games they had.   :)

Hmmm...   ;)

Gracias,

Glenn

"doing the math" on that...

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
Great terrain!  I find the THW rules easy to learn.  The basic tables are simple and easy to commit to memory.  You still have to look up reinforcement rolls but that doesn't happen very often!  With each of the supplements, there's lots of flavor for whatever you're in to.

Yes, and you can always limit the more involved or distracting elements (like no reinforcements for a evacuation game like the second one.)

B. O. T. - I really like the mix of natural and man-made terrain features - truly looked like an abandoned facility in the far future frontier.  That was a well designed/laid out table.  And the radar dish/telecom link piece has been entered into my mental list of terrain ideas to steal... borrow...   8)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »
<snip>

View down the length of the table, showing the abandoned mining camp that would be the battlefield:

[/URL

View across the width:

[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/momotaro119/media/BattleAtTheMine/P1040359_zpsbc9cef85.jpg.html]

Buildings are Urban Mammoth Platformer, Dust Quonset huts and AT-43 shipping containers.  A couple of scratchbuilds in there too, plus the ubiquitous plastic palm trees and aquarium vegetation  :D

AARs to follow!

This was the absolute perfect arrangement for the haphazard growth of a frontier facility.   I should copy the pictures and put them in a folder for inspiration for a future (pun intended) game.    :-*   8)   o_o

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 04:20:14 PM »
You're too kind Glenn - I look at my perfectly manicured mat sometimes and think "pool table"  :(  I don't really have the space to store custom base boards; maybe a zuzzy mat is a future consideration.

Although that's a Mat O'War and they are superb: hard-wearing but flexible when you need to put book-hills under them.  I could always spray some colour variation onto it, or paint/caulk dirt roads on one side.

I think in a firefight game with more troops, I'd put down a lot of vehicles, oil-drums, crates and other light cover to add to the feel of the place.

If you want the pictures, the album is at: 

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/momotaro119/library/BattleAtTheMine

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
Thank you, I am dowloading the album now - I just need to make sure the download credits this as your work - "Learning curve" time...   lol

Gracias,

Glenn