Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan French Foreign Legion  (Read 9836 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Re: Artizan French Foreign Legion
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 05:40:28 AM »
One thing to note about the Lebel. Like the Lee Enfield (as mentioned on another thread) it has its own "Painted Wrongly Club." Members of this club include Renegade Miniatures, who, on their website have their own figures with incorrectly-painted rifles.

To avoid joining this club, study this picture:

Yeah I have mine painted wrong as well.  On a side note I think I saw a Lee Enfield down at the local pawn and gun.  I think I'll have to pick it up if the price is good just so I can have a proper pulpy gun.  lol

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 02:39:37 PM »
Now, a good pulpy gun would be the MP 40 (together with a Luger and a Varry Djerman Axehant, of course).
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 06:15:50 AM »
The legion had the long blue coats until WWI broke out, and the under-outfits were usually tucked in, and white.  The short jackets seen on these figures are actually from around 1930, but at the very least you don't want to set them pre-WWI.
Check out THE CROGAN ADVENTURES, a historical adventure graphic novel series available from your local bookstore or comic shop (or, of course, Amazon).  I make 'em.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
The legion had the long blue coats until WWI broke out, and the under-outfits were usually tucked in, and white.  The short jackets seen on these figures are actually from around 1930, but at the very least you don't want to set them pre-WWI.
Regarding the Artizan figures - did those short jackets come in blue or tan in that period?

Also, are they using Bren guns (the LMGs)?

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 07:16:31 PM »
I'm afraid I'm going to be a spoilsport. It is likely the Artizan figures are really only suitable for WWII.
AFAIK French Legionnaires never wore shorts prior to WWII when the British supplied them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:43:26 PM by WillieB »
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 10:28:42 PM »
I have to disagree with Doomhippie, the MP28 with wooden stock, and broomhandle Mauser, now they are two very pulpy German guns.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
Just found this topic:

You may use the Artizan's FFL well in the 1920's.
Just avoid those figures in shorts, they were not introduced before WWII.
As for bren you know better than me.
argsilverson

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 01:57:03 PM »
Personally I think that the set from Foundry is hard to beat for the 1930s look for the Legion. Its a shame there are only six of them, but I have got a unit of 20 and they look pretty good. I have used two officers from the Great War Miniatures French range, but the Crusader French officers could also be used. Reference for them was the excellent Blandford book "Uniforms of the French Foreign Legion" by Martin Windrow and Mike Chappell. The kit on the Foundry figs is right for the period as are the weapons. See below:

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »
@Trooper - those are *just right* for what I'm trying to make!  Brilliant!

What colors did you use for the jackets?  Graveyard Earth highlighted up with Kommando Khaki?  Or Vallejo paints?

And does anyone know if there were instances of those shorter jackets in blue?  (Might have to strip and repaint 4 Artizan FFLs, darnit).

Oh - Bren was introduced in 1938 though the Czech model upon which it was based was introduced in 1928 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZB_vz.26).

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
Erik, yes you are quite correct I used GW Graveyard Earth, highlighted with white added. Although Vallejo do several equally usable colours. The short blue jackets were not worn in the field by this time, but if they were retained more likely to be worn in garrison duties, but I am not 100% sure on that.  I have to say that those figures were a pleasure to paint, and thanks to Foundry's mail order team, I ordered three sets, thinking I would get 18 figs, and you can imagine my pleasure that the packers had actually sent me 20 figures instead. The Artizan  figs are quite nice, but just don't have the right period look. Mind you, I will be buying some of their Arabs from the WWI range as opposition.

Offline AndyRix

• Assistant
    • Cold War Gamer
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »
The artizan figures are carrying a magazine fed rifle with wooden stocks, not lebels, the legion used predominently lebels in this period but also carried the M1892/16 Carbine which was a magazine fed weapon. with wooden furnature

The Osprey FFL 1914 - 45 shows a legionaire in shorts in Morroco in 1937

The principal uniform difference is the shirt jacket collor for those figures with puttees which would be suitable, in most cases this is covered by the scarfs. in the 1920s this was stand up in the 1930s stand and fall

FFL uniforms post WW1 were a bit random and most things went, Khaki was the predominant colour, they even had a guys runnning around in ex US uniforms.  good sources are

Osprey MAA - FFL 1914 - 45
Uniforms of the French Foreign Legion 1831 - 1981 by Martin Woodrow which can be picked up on amazon

to my mind the artizan figures in puttes are OK and are great figures, the foundary figures are spot on and mixing in guys in WW1 uniforms with head swapped  kepis can provide some guys in great coats. 

The LMGs are I belive the FM 24/29 which entered limited production in the late 1920s and full production in the 1930's, its still in service! it is probably better used in 1930s units, and saw service in the RIF. I belive lewis guns or BARS are probably also appropriate as would be the chachat mg for 1920s units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_24/29_light_machine_gun

hope that helps
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:17:46 AM by AndyRix »