Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:41:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694526
  • Total Topics: 118614
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Paul Hicks Gladiators  (Read 14853 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Paul Hicks Gladiators
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
I believe the net would be cast with the main (right) hand normally and the trident held in the off-hand (left) as depicted on the miniature. I do not believe he would cast his net with the armored arm and it also makes more sense to armor the trident arm, as he will be striking out with it. His typical stance would be as depicted in the figure, trident forward, net back ready to lash or be cast. When the net goes he quickly adopts a two-handed hold on the trident, but the left arm still leads - hence it should be the armored one.

A scaeva (south-paw) retiarius would wield his trident in his right hand me thinks.

In saying that all, if someone knows better, please explain it to me.  o_o

There is quite a science to this art of killing another man!

That makes sense. Thanks
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Mad Mike

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
I do tread the boards of LAF. There are more planned as I really enjoyed sculpting the Gladiators. As for release they should be out for Historicon later this month. Apart from that I have no idea on what I will be producing next there will be Retiarius. Just trying to think of ways to do the net.

Very nice job, as usual.

Argh, historicon is a bit too far for me.  :'(
Will they be available elsewhere?

About the retiarius, i,'ve got one like this:
http://www.taleofwar.com/shop/product.php?id_product=66
His net is not too bad.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »
I believe the net would be cast with the main (right) hand normally and the trident held in the off-hand (left) as depicted on the miniature. I do not believe he would cast his net with the armored arm and it also makes more sense to armor the trident arm, as he will be striking out with it. His typical stance would be as depicted in the figure, trident forward, net back ready to lash or be cast. When the net goes he quickly adopts a two-handed hold on the trident, but the left arm still leads - hence it should be the armored one.

Most mosaics and paintings seem to show the retiarius after he has used his net in the two-hands-on-his-trident pose:

But this one shows a retiarius while still armed with trident and net, although I'll admit the net is hard to make out as it only just shows before the broken edge of the mosaic:

On the other hand, according to some research by a HEMA friend of mine, Georges Dubois (1900's France, fencer, martial artist, general antagonistics enthusiast and practitioner) wanted to reintroduce gladiator combat as a means of suitable martial exercise and wrote some articles for "la Culture Physique" between November 1907 and February 1908 which I am reliably informed are available online through Gallica. In them he talks about the retiarius "holding his net chambered on his left arm" and says several times directly and implication that the trident will be wielded in the right. He does not mention the manica as far as I can tell, so don't know how he reconciled protection and manoeuvrability.

That'll leave the answer as clear as mud then  lol lol lol

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »
Thanks Rabs for clearing that up.  o_o  o_o  o_o

It really is a difficult subject matter.

Here is a link to some (rather serious) "mock" gladiator combats involving retiarii

That big retiarius looks bloody dangerous.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:50:40 PM by Furt »
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing chap

Certainly food for thought.The Retiarius look like they were having the best of it.

Offline brigadegames

• Scientist
    • BrigadeGames.com
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 04:38:50 AM »
I am currently awaiting molds to arrive. I should have a small supply at Historicon as timing is getting tight (HCon is next week and we leave early on Tuesday.)

Many new releases coming over the next few weeks. And Paul has a large list to keep him busy.

As usual, Paul has done a phenomenal job on these. They were originally due to be out in March but he wanted to take his time and get them right. The result was worth the wait.

Buy them so we can make more. They should be up in the store as a preorder by the weekend.

b/r

Lon
Lon Weiss
BrigadeGames
Boot Hill

http://www.BrigadeGames.com

http://www.BrigadeGamesMinis.com

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/brigadegames

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrigadeGames

IG: https://www.instagram.com/BrigadeGames<br /

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 08:05:46 AM »
I am currently awaiting molds to arrive. I should have a small supply at Historicon as timing is getting tight (HCon is next week and we leave early on Tuesday.)

Many new releases coming over the next few weeks. And Paul has a large list to keep him busy.

As usual, Paul has done a phenomenal job on these. They were originally due to be out in March but he wanted to take his time and get them right. The result was worth the wait.

Buy them so we can make more. They should be up in the store as a preorder by the weekend.

b/r

Lon

Great news Lon. Are you open to suggestions on what "the mob" desires from a new gladiator range?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
I'll be buying them! Personally I'd like to see a few in training gear and unhelmeted, like the cast of Spartacus: Blood and Sand strutting around the ludus. Maybe not accurate, but useful, at least for me!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 02:51:46 PM »
I'll be buying them! Personally I'd like to see a few in training gear and unhelmeted

Now that's a good idea.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
I'm definitely in for a bunch.  :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
I can see me making up an overdue Brigade Games order when these are released. Great stuff Paul.

Offline brigadegames

• Scientist
    • BrigadeGames.com
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
I am always open to suggestions for my ranges.

I am more open when the ranges sell well  ;)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 07:54:06 PM »
Just let me know how many packs I have to sneak past my better half, and you have at least one buyer! ::)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »
I am always open to suggestions for my ranges.

I am more open when the ranges sell well  ;)

Here is my wish list Santa:

Some "common" gladiator types like thraex, secutors and murmillos with separate helmets and maybe even an open weapon hand. The gladiators with separate heads could also be used for fantasy stuff by throwing an orc head on the body etc.

"Champion" gladiators that have more elaborate armor and decoration, for example, like Tigris from that Gladiator movie.

A loose pack of gladiator helms (for use on above and for fallen helmets).

A loose weapons pack including: a thrown net, gladius, sica, parma (small shield), scutum, etc.

Spectators - shouting, cheering, fist shaking, exchanging coin, booing, thumb pointing, and women ones too.

Some colorful lanista types, watching their investments fighting in the arena.

I'm sure I'll think of some more...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 01:44:33 AM »
Perhaps a small line of poorly equipped slaves...just four or five poses with simple weapons, and normal tunics, for use in larger arena games where they might be set against a small number of proper gladiators.  As mentioned earlier some practicing gladiators (possibly painted up with wooden swords).  Heck these could actually be the same figures.

Other than that I support the suggestions Furt made.

Oh...and some dead bodies or a couple gladiators on their knees, defeated pleading for mercy.  While I don't normally bother with wounded/dead models for large games, gladiator games are such small scale that I would be willing to paint up some defeated gladiators for use during the game etc.

I do think also, a small set for the head patron who is paying for the game would be nice.  A couple rich Romans seated in chairs, with a lovely lady or two.  Predominantly for use in the parapet where they would watch the games.

While I don't suggest that we need any new Roman sculpts, maybe link a page to your gladiators where we can pick up some Roman foot soldiers for use as guards etc.