Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:05:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN Arc Weapons question  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Thorwin

• Bookworm
IHMN Arc Weapons question
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
I still have the opinion that arc weapons and flamers should not work against walkers or vehicles with armour more than 10. The AV-7 rule is too powerful against such very costly walkers like the Kaiser Wilhelm. First arc weapons against the faraday rule of an fully enclosed room made of an conducting material. Second the flamer is arguable , the steam technology involves good protection against heat.

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
Re: IHMN Arc Weapons question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:02:39 PM »
According to the FAQ/Errata they don't work against them   :?
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »
Hi Thorwin,

Have a look at the most recent IHMN Errata posted June 25, 2013. LOADS of important changes, including the ones you are looking for.

Quote from: IHMN
5.4 Personal Transportation
Addendum. Unless otherwise stated in their descriptions, vehicles are unaffected by either Arc or flame
attacks. Their drivers may be attacked but get +1 to their Pluck roll if the vehicle has Armour less than 10, +2 if it has Armour 10-12 and +3 if it has Armour 13 or better.

Quote from: IHMN
5.5 Mechanised Walkers
Addendum. Unless otherwise stated in their descriptions, walkers are unaffected by either Arc or flame
attacks. However, If such an attack hits a walker and a “steersman hit” result occurs then the steersman can be affected. His Pluck roll will be at +1 if the walker has Armour less than 10, +2 if it has Armour 10-12 and +3 if it has Armour 13 or better.

Now it looks like vehicle crew may be attacked separately of the vehicle....
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Thorwin

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »
Ok thank you , I just thought because Craig posted this on the july.2  Prussian artillery for IHMN :

The thought of deploying a 40cm Krupp Howitzer in a skirmish game does have its appeal it has to be said  Shocked Laugh

However, there are lot cheaper options for knocking out armoured vehicles, namely weapons that ignore armour, i.e. Arc and Flaming weapons. After all the armoured vehicles of the late 19th century were fairly ramshackle and rudimentary affairs and not yet immune to such weaponry.

The errata is nice , I didn`t recognize it.

I think if you roll on the table and get the driver/passenger/steersman hit, the Pluck roll bonus of Addendum 5.5 counts.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
I was reading the bit in 5.4 covering Vehicles which is I think different than for Walkers, that says "Their drivers may be attacked.."

Very open to correction / realignment on this idea however!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »

Given that the crew of civilian Victorian vehicles are generaly sitting up front and in the open, that kind of makes sense.

I have no problem with a flame thrower spelling doom for a vehicle. WWII vehicles were much more advanced and they were certainly vulnerable to flame attacks. I'm not convinced by the faraday cage argument either, too much brass, leather and other vulnerable components :)

It's probably a meta thing, amongst our players arc weapons are genarally looked down upon due to the limited range and slow fire rate. I tend to have one or two about to deal with tough targets but the other guys prefer military rifles.
So many projects..... so little time.......