Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:43:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF vs Pulp  (Read 1671 times)

Offline El Guapo

• Student
  • I have a plethora of pinatas.
VSF vs Pulp
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:59:14 AM »
Question for the group, as you've all been here longer than I have - I've recently gotten into VSF through Craig's game In Her Majesty's Name, and I love the mechanics, the gameplay, everything.  One thing, though, as I look through catalogs of models I keep seeing gorgeous casts for what could more appropriately be called Pulp era figures.  I've seen that there's a game called Pulp Alley, what I'm wondering is if someone with experience in both could give me a brief rundown on big picture differences and similarities between IHMN, Pulp Alley, and any other noteworthy rulesets? Or perhaps direct me to a previously established thread where that's been covered?  IHMN is gathering steam (pun only semi-intended) in my local group, but I've always been a fan of pulp type adventures as well - at any rate, you ladies and gents can figure out my meaning, I'm sure.  I appreciate the help!

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
Re: VSF vs Pulp
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »
The mechanics of IHMN could just as easily be used for Pulp. I've been playing pulp games for years using the old Legends of the Old West rules. The main thing is that the game is played for narrative not competition, you need like minded players who are prepared to play a game based on what actions are right for the genre, not what will help you win. Rules are secondary.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »
I think of VSF as pre-WW1 in era, rare and powerful but undependable steam creations, biological discoveries/nightmares, early pseudo-science on steroids, muskets/rifles, swords, damsels, overt class consciousness, empires at the peak of expansion, Mars/Barsoom, Venus/whatever it was called by authors, lost civilizations in jungles/deserts/center of the Earth, "Civilization" battling "the old ways," and native hordes.

I think of Pulp as the 1920-1940 era.  Automatic pistols, fists, booze, floozies, Thompsons, Cars/trucks much more common, trains between cities, aircraft later in the era, financial stratification, small but violent/dangerous small groups of deranged/"true believers" types running around on their own nefarious agendas, and "key" or important individuals determining the fate of the masses (Rugged Individualism.)

Some think of it as different costumes we put mentally put on to perform our plays on the table top.  I see them as highly divergent forms of pseudo-history or historical based gaming.

Rules for two bit detectives solving injustices have different focus than defeating the "Red Mahdi" in the cities of Mars or repelling the cephalopods.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline El Guapo

• Student
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »
Thanks Conquistador and Freelancer, great summaries :)  I'm fortunate in that my local group (if local can truly be applied to a group spread over the entirety of Los Angeles) is largely more concerned with a fun narrative and occasionally bizarre antics than with strict competitive play.  I'm mostly looking to get a better idea of the differences between the rules - for example, I know that IHMN uses a d10 system with positive and negative modifiers to affect outcome, while I'm gathering that Pulp Alley has cards, but beyond that I'm not too familiar with the system.  Has anyone played both?

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
They are two very different games, so it's a bit of apples and oranges. Definitely worth giving Pulp Alley a try, the free sample rule package makes it easy.

IHMN is a bit more 'game driven'; as you take your turns moving each mini around the table there is great fun developing a plan.

Pulp Alley is a bit more 'story driven'; the card mechanics help to create a very cinematic experience.

Both games strongly emphasise creating custom factions and feature rich setting material. I think you may be hard pressed to choose. o_o
Our group settled on IHMN, but we played Pulp Alley a fair bit a few years back and some members of the club are now looking at getting back into Pulp Alley again. We are nothing if not fickle... ;D
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline El Guapo

• Student
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:44 PM »
Thanks Mr. Peabody, that was quite helpful :)  I don't think it's so much a question as choosing between them so much as choosing which one to start more heavily with, and which one to ease into.  I didn't know about the free sample rules, I'll have to give those a look. 

I appreciate everyone's time - happy gaming!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:20:18 AM »
They are two very different games, so it's a bit of apples and oranges. Definitely worth giving Pulp Alley a try, the free sample rule package makes it easy.

IHMN is a bit more 'game driven'; as you take your turns moving each mini around the table there is great fun developing a plan.

Pulp Alley is a bit more 'story driven'; the card mechanics help to create a very cinematic experience.

Both games strongly emphasise creating custom factions and feature rich setting material. I think you may be hard pressed to choose. o_o
Our group settled on IHMN, but we played Pulp Alley a fair bit a few years back and some members of the club are now looking at getting back into Pulp Alley again. We are nothing if not fickle... ;D

El Guapo, the free version of Pulp Alley can be downloaded from Wargame Vault -- http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5628

It doesn't have everything included with the full version, but it certainly gives you enough to get started.

HAVE FUN

Offline Gary Mitchell

• Librarian
    • Space Vixens From Mars
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 04:38:12 AM »
I guess you could call 'Pulp' 'Dieselpunk' :)

Offline El Guapo

• Student
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:55:39 AM »
...but it certainly gives you enough to get started.

HAVE FUN

Many thanks, Mr. Phipps!