Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A fistful of Kung fu by Osprey.  (Read 33376 times)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
Re: A fistful of Kung fu by Osprey.
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty much the aspect of JKD I took for the example above – if you want to play up the efficiency and 'do what works' aspect of it, you've got no end of choice!

The Trait names may not match up to the terminology of an individual martial art, but their in-game effects would certainly represent what you suggest – 'Free Disengage', for example, incorporates elements of "flexes and bends in response", as do several others. You don't really need to create "a more advanced preternatural evade and counter" Trait – just select the existing Traits that, combined, give you the feel you're after. If you wanted, you could quite easily go through and put together 'packages' of Traits that combine to represent a larger concept such as this, or to represent a pool of options available to a practitioner of a particular style. So, for example, 'Danger Sense', 'Evade and Counter', 'Free Disengage' and 'Surprise Move' would combine to give you a pretty high-end practitioner of the 'be like water' philosophy (not to mention a virtually untouchable – and suitably expensive – fighter).

This game won't reflect the differences between a Thai boxer's high kick and a Karateka's high kick, but it will allow for the core elements of a style to be represented. And then filtered through an individual character's interpretation of it.

I don't really think the rules need to reflect the difference between a Thai roundhouse or A karate mawashi geri. Those bits are left up to your imagination plus it would cause an absolute nightmare of rules bloat I imagine.

How does the game handle grappling btw? Doesn't have some way of representing someone having a grip on you that you need to escape from or is it more handled by singular throws and takedowns? Since prolonged grappling is rarely a part of Kung fu movies Either approach would make sense.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 10:58:42 AM »
Grappling is mainly handled with the combat results options - you can throw your opponent around (including into dangerous objects). Certain traits will also allow for a more grappling-oriented approach.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
Thanks you. Its great being able to interact and ask you questions on here.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2014, 08:01:47 PM »
Thought this would be better than starting a new topic.

A question about Fistful of Kung Fu.  Does it use the shooting mechanics from SBH or from Flying Lead?

Thanks!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »
I'm actually half tempted by this  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »
I went ahead and ordered it.  I don't have any plans for martial arts games (though I do have a mess of heroclix that would work for this) a Ganesha Games ruleset dedicated to cinematic battles is definitely something I could make use of.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2014, 08:38:02 PM »
I plan on using the rules for action movie style games more than anything else. Painting up a swat team for it ATM.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2014, 09:06:36 PM »
I plan on using the rules for action movie style games more than anything else. Painting up a swat team for it ATM.

Cool, that's kind of what I'm thinking I've got a bunch of swat, narc and cops trimmed and based waiting for a ruleset like this.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »
Yeah I have some assault group swat. A model that looks like Max Payne. A swat team leader and a guy in a suit for my police team. Will have to pick up some yakuza (dixon) or some other criminals to go against them.

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2014, 04:52:06 PM »
I've had the rules for a little while now and have to say they are quick and simple and should be very easy to pick up and play. I have Rich Jones samurai rules based on the same game engine, these are worth getting as well if they are still available

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 06:26:42 AM »
Intend to slowly develop this to allow me to game 'Feng Shui/Shadowfist' on the table top. Always loved the setting, and these are ideal for the mixed juncture styles suit these rules perfectly.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
The rules arrived and I read through the core rules.  Looks pretty good. It has a very similar reaction system as "Of Gods and Mortals, but reactions are limited to the Protagonist.  Which leads me to the one thing I'm not sure about and that is the focus on the high powered protagonist of whom there is only one per player.  It does make it well suited for "Hero"  flicks, but it remains to be seen whether it will make it a bit more difficult for scenarios where a team of equals fights together.

I definitely want to give it a try though before I decide.  I really like the special rules, situations and props that are just oozing flavor.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 07:36:31 PM »
You could always use more protagonists if you wished and change points values accordingly.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2014, 08:20:43 AM »
It can definitely be played with more Protagonists - though that does bring a bit more paperwork into the equation (in terms of skills to be remembered etc.).

In related news, the Feng Shui 2nd Edition RPG is up on Kickstarter now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasgames/feng-shui-2-action-movie-roleplaying-game-by-robin

I've chipped in, as I have ridiculously fond memories of the original...

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2014, 07:29:28 PM »
Same here with the Feng Shui 2nd ED RPG - love that system/background. Though Architects gone (or are they - Netherworld, here we come).

Like people have said, more character models would be needed to fully game this than just the one (One Dragon would be ok, but more are fun) - just means more Mooks for the badguys.