Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:57:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A fistful of Kung fu by Osprey.  (Read 33410 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: A fistful of Kung fu by Osprey.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 06:02:09 AM »
Those Dixon minis are great! :-*  I'll be needing then and the Hasslefree line, and I should be ok minis wise, but now on to terrain...

I'll admit it: I have no interest in this other than to do Big Trouble in Little China. The theme  is playing in my head as I type this... ::)

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
Sweet I have a few packs of the thug types only painted the one half was going to use them for 7TV/Zombie gaming :D

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
I have Dixon Yakuza; They are awesome. Maybe Northstar will do a range for this as well?

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »
When I first read this title I had Carl Douglas in mind. :)

...everybody is kungfu-fighting...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Personally I'd prefer old-school-kungfu/wuxia rules , but if these modern-day rules will be adaptable, then ok.

Offline Whtknt1066

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 07:24:09 AM »
Speaking of old-school Wuxia, I stumbled across a great source for some minis.  Miniaturemarket.com is offloading their Alkemy miniatures for cheap, and the Jade Triad ones are PERFECT! They're in resin and have great detail and character, and are right about the same size as Northstar's IHMN line.  I ordered the whole lot with a couple repeats and I'm very, very happy I did.  On a side note, the Kaliman are lovely figs as well-Arabian Nights themed anthropomorphic great cats. I ordered all those too, and I may get more...

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
Just to set minds at rest, A Fistful of Kung Fu can be used for any kind of action movie game – House Of Flying Daggers is just as viable as Big Trouble in Little China, it really is as simple as not equipping characters with firearms!

Were it not the case, I wouldn't have commissioned such stonking pieces of art as this...  ;D

Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »

Lovely.

I meant to ask Andrea on the SOBH Yahoo group this question, but you should be able to answer it for me Smith:  whats the average model count per game?  3-6 per side?  5-10? More?

Do we have a projected release date for FoKF yet?

I am really looking forward to it.  Its going to be space ninja battles for me.  Luckily space ninja fights apply/ignore all of the same laws of physics that Big Trouble and Flying Daggers apply/ignore, so I should be fine Id say ;)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »
That is superb Smith.  :D

It looks like it'll be great for all types of action movies. I'm considering something along the Matrix (first one, not the sequels. Urgh). Should be possible with a little bit of fiddling.

I think release is early next year, Nick has it available for pre-order on the Northstar website (the best way to purchase it IMHO  ;)). I'm looking forward to seeing some of the figures that its going to inspire.

There's a bit of fluff on the Northstar site. 2-3 characters and a couple of groups of minions upto 5 strong. Minions apparently don't last long (quite right too) but can be dangerous if they get the chance to outnumber your heroes.

I'm sure more information will become available neater to the release date.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
The blurb on the Northstar site is a little off the pace – the approach was tweaked marginally for the final rules.

The average game is 400pts, but it's really up to you what you want. Players can choose what kind of game to go for – one character and supporting cast, or multiple characters (with or without supporting cast).

There are 3 levels of character in the game: Protagonists, Bruisers and Extras. Protagonists are the heroes and villains, Extras are their minions and allies, and Bruisers fall in-between the two – henchmen and right-hand-men. In the first game approach above, at 400 points, you'd be limited to 1 Protagonist, max 1 Bruiser, and numerous extras (at 800 points, 2 Protagonists, 2 Bruisers etc.), in the latter, 2–3 Protagonists and whatever else you wanted to take. Gangs at 400 points run the 6–15 figure range.

I put together a Cop list at 300 points, below, which gives you a more concrete idea of a gang breakdown, the kind of points costs being used, and some idea of the skills etc. that are available.

It's worth noting that, in addition to pre-generated characters included in the book, there's a full system for points costing up your own.

Cops – 299pts – 7 figs
Protagonist
Heroic Cop (117 pts)
Q2 C4, Pistol, Acrobat, Jumper, Dashing, Move and Fire, Way of the Intercepting Fist

Bruiser
Veteran Cop with Shotgun and Body Armour (46 pts)
Q4 C3 Handcuffs, Shotgun, Protected

Extras
Special Duties Unit officer (34 pts)
Q4 C2 Pistol, Automatic Weapon, Protected, Steadfast

Special Duties Unit officer (34 pts)
Q4 C2 Pistol, Automatic Weapon, Protected, Steadfast

Special Duties Unit officer with Shotgun (26 pts)
Q4 C2 Protected, Shotgun, Steadfast

Rookie Cop (21 pts)
Q4 C2 Pistol, Handcuffs

Rookie Cop (21 pts)
Q4 C2 Pistol, Handcuffs

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »
Speak of the Devil...  ;)

Excellent stuff Smith. Thank you.

I have to add I really love the way the Osprey games of late allow for you to adapt the game in any way you want, IHMN springs to mind, with point values available to really help you mould the rules around the type of game the player wants.

:D

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »
Wish I could take the credit for that. It's down to the authors of the rules (though I am definitely a fan of versatile, adaptable game systems!) – the games are theirs, after all!

Glad you approve, though. :D

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 08:13:49 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm.......I'm thinking futuristic Ghost in the Shell might be possible.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »

Thanks for the sample list and updated blurb Smith, thats exactly what I wanted to know :)

I'm considering something along the Matrix

Y'know, that statement has been going around in my head all day since I read it.  You may have something there Ray Earle...

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »

Y'know, that statement has been going around in my head all day since I read it.  You may have something there Ray Earle...

:D The lobby scene. Some Copplestone troopers for the SWAT appropriately painted black and some Heresy trenchcoat gangers with head swaps (or the addition of hair  ;)). A couple of agents and away you go.  :D

You know it makes sense.