Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 10:51:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A fistful of Kung fu by Osprey.  (Read 33407 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: A fistful of Kung fu by Osprey.
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 10:20:41 AM »
:D The lobby scene. Some Copplestone troopers for the SWAT appropriately painted black and some Heresy trenchcoat gangers with head swaps (or the addition of hair  ;)). A couple of agents and away you go.  :D

You know it makes sense.

Oh I'm all over that Mr Anderson.

I'd personally like to see some jeet kun do and lee jun fan kung fu rules and characters.  Having studied Sifu Bruce Lee's martial arts for many many years and know how well these would work in a gaming perspective.

Don't think......feel it is like a finger pointing at the moon.... don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »
JKD shouldn't be too hard to stat up using the Traits in the book. It's a case of picking which Traits most suit the character's style and building a composite, rather than having a single "Karate" skill that offers the same advantages to everyone who uses it.

So, on a rough speed through the relevant chapter of the book, I'd suggest the following Traits for an 'average' JKD practitioner: 'Evade and Counter', 'Surprise Move', 'Way of the Intercepting Fist', potentially also 'Low Kick', 'Flurry of Blows', 'Free Disengage' or 'Dashing'.

That's 7 Traits (there's probably a few more relevant ones as well) just to replicate some of the elements of JKD, without even going into other personal skills a character may have.

Want to create a Sumo? 'Big' and 'Immovable Stance' are your starting points. A Judoka? Start with 'Ground Fighter' and 'Aggressive Tumble' and work from there.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
And guns. Lots of guns....  ::)

Sounds like there are some really great character traits in there. Plenty of Movie inspiration. Why is February so far away? Just need some figures now...

Nick?  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »
:D The lobby scene. Some Copplestone troopers for the SWAT appropriately painted black and some Heresy trenchcoat gangers with head swaps (or the addition of hair  ;)). A couple of agents and away you go.  :D

Well, I was thinking that I could add my unpainted EM4 suits to my MiBs, who will double as Agents.  Easy.

I have about ten Foundry SWAT painted black (they have small "Umbrella Corporation" logos, but thats perfectly acceptable to me.  They have been rebased and revarnished since but some bad photos are HERE and HERE).  Again, easy.

Also, I have had the Foundry Hardwire Troupe undercoated and ready for paint for about a decade now, and they just scream "The Matrix" to me.  They will surely be a treat to paint.

You know it makes sense.

Apart from building a miniature lobby, it certainly does.  And even that wouldnt be beyond possibility...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:43:15 AM by cheetor »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
Old grenadier  corporate suits available from Doug at Em-4 would be great agents.

JKD shouldn't be too hard to stat up using the Traits in the book. It's a case of picking which Traits most suit the character's style and building a composite, rather than having a single "Karate" skill that offers the same advantages to everyone who uses it.

So, on a rough speed through the relevant chapter of the book, I'd suggest the following Traits for an 'average' JKD practitioner: 'Evade and Counter', 'Surprise Move', 'Way of the Intercepting Fist', potentially also 'Low Kick', 'Flurry of Blows', 'Free Disengage' or 'Dashing'

That would well for jun fan definitely. As jkd is in essence what you bring to the table you could potentially created many flavours of artist. Maybe a 'be like water' trait, sort of  like a more advanced preternatural evade and counter or just as a defensive move that simply manages your opponent's attack, flexes and bends in response etc...

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much the aspect of JKD I took for the example above – if you want to play up the efficiency and 'do what works' aspect of it, you've got no end of choice!

The Trait names may not match up to the terminology of an individual martial art, but their in-game effects would certainly represent what you suggest – 'Free Disengage', for example, incorporates elements of "flexes and bends in response", as do several others. You don't really need to create "a more advanced preternatural evade and counter" Trait – just select the existing Traits that, combined, give you the feel you're after. If you wanted, you could quite easily go through and put together 'packages' of Traits that combine to represent a larger concept such as this, or to represent a pool of options available to a practitioner of a particular style. So, for example, 'Danger Sense', 'Evade and Counter', 'Free Disengage' and 'Surprise Move' would combine to give you a pretty high-end practitioner of the 'be like water' philosophy (not to mention a virtually untouchable – and suitably expensive – fighter).

This game won't reflect the differences between a Thai boxer's high kick and a Karateka's high kick, but it will allow for the core elements of a style to be represented. And then filtered through an individual character's interpretation of it.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »
Like the figure ideas Cheetor. I'd thought about the foundry figures but wanted something a bit more 'dynamic'.  ;)

EM-4 would be great for the troopers as well as agents.

Lobby would just need lots of pillars, a security checkpoint and Propellorheads on loop.  :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:36:10 PM by Ray Earle »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
Just spoke to Nick, definitely are figures coming out for this. 4 sets to start with, same as the other games. Future expansions will depend on sales for the initial sets. Don't know if he wants me to say what all those initial boxes are yet but I'll be getting those Yakuza figures I've been looking for :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »
I can keep a secret.  ;)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 03:37:03 PM »
Fantastic news! Wouldn't make any sense to come out with a game where everybody needs to use close enough figures from another manufacturer or buy rare stuff on eBay to play! Let's hope Steve Saleh is still the sculptor.

I see terrain still being something of a problem as modern terrain of any kind in 28mm  is difficult to find and afford let alone modern Asian city terrain. There's some nice paper stuff available but it takes forever to build and isn't very durable.

Will be pre-ordering this one!

Just spoke to Nick, definitely are figures coming out for this. 4 sets to start with, same as the other games. Future expansions will depend on sales for the initial sets. Don't know if he wants me to say what all those initial boxes are yet but I'll be getting those Yakuza figures I've been looking for :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »
I see terrain still being something of a problem as modern terrain of any kind in 28mm  is difficult to find and afford let alone modern Asian city terrain. There's some nice paper stuff available but it takes forever to build and isn't very

Jim will provide ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:39:42 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline PF

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
A fistful of Kung fu is an awesome version of Songs of. Exactly what I needed to run my games or martial arts tournaments.
I will probably keep using some of the other traits from other versions of the game for a greater choice of characters but the game contains a lot of things and I really like what it adds to the rules (activation or combat).

Sorry for resurrecting the thread if that's a problem but I wanted to express my satisfaction with this book.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:24:05 PM by PF »

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
With apologies for the delay in release, the Quick Reference sheets for A Fistful of Kung Fu are now available on the OWG Resources page as a PDF download.

Link here - http://www.ospreypublishing.com/articles/osprey_wargames_resources - or in my signature.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »
With apologies for the delay in release, the Quick Reference sheets for A Fistful of Kung Fu are now available on the OWG Resources page as a PDF download.

Link here - http://www.ospreypublishing.com/articles/osprey_wargames_resources - or in my signature.

Excellent.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »

Thanks! :-)
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu